Multiple 30 minutes segments above 12,500' prohibited?

You seem to believe that ICAO has the control over retirement age, which they don't.

I do not believe that at all.

Retirement age is set by the various participating states, not ICAO.

Right, I understand that, and have already stated so.

Several countries (including the US) could come out tomorrow and abolish all retirement ages if they so wished, and ICAO cannot, and does not, control that.

Agreed.

From an article discussing the age 65 increase in the U.S.

Although grounded commercial transport pilots have fought over the past decade to regain access to the flight deck, it was not until after the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) last year allowed pilots to fly until they reach 65 that momentum built quickly to change the rule in the United States. Following ICAO’s lead, international flights would require at least one pilot under age 60.

After decades supporting a rule requiring commercial airline pilots to retire by their 60th birthday, the FAA earlier this year signaled that it now supports raising the retirement age to 65, matching the new ICAO standard.

On September 27, 2006, Blakey established a group of airline, labor and medical experts to recommend whether the United States should adopt the new ICAO standard and determine what actions would be necessary if the FAA were to change its rule.

I'm simply guessing (as in my own opinion) that, if ICAO changed their standard to have no limitations on age, that only then would the U.S. consider raising their respective limits. Of course it won't do much good unless all the other countries we fly to adopt it as well.

From an article discussing the age 65 increase in the U.S.

That article is not using facts. I see now where the confusion lays.

I'm simply guessing (as in my own opinion) that, if ICAO changed their standard to have no limitations on age, that only then would the U.S. consider raising their respective limits.

But ICAO already has in their convention a no age limit.

Of course it won't do much good unless all the other countries we fly to adopt it as well.

This is true. But it opens up domestic flying for your company to those above 65, and to countries like Australia, NZ and Canada, to name a few. And granted it requires a bit more work for crew scheduling to insure pilots above 65 can only operate selected countries.

That article is not using facts. I see now where the confusion lays.

But ICAO already has in their convention a no age limit.

No they just have standards for various age groups.

The following is straight from the Federal Register. I understand what you're getting at, but you can't deny all countries are heavily influenced by ICAO.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2009/07/15/E9-16777/part-121-pilot-age-limit

Although Congress did not directly mandate amendments to these provisions, the FAA believes Congress clearly intended to implement the ICAO age requirements for pilots operating internationally, allowing them to conduct commercial air transportation operations under certain conditions until the age of 65. The ICAO standard increases the upper age limit for commercial pilots operating two pilot aircraft. In operations with more than one pilot, ICAO standard 2.1.10.1 allows a person to serve as a pilot in command of an aircraft engaged in international commercial air transport operations until his or her 65th birthday if the other pilot is younger than 60 years of age.

In addition, the Act makes FAA regulations consistent with ICAO Amendment 167 by increasing the “upper age limit” for pilots operating in “international commercial air transport operations” up to age 65. Previously, pilots certificated outside the United States and flying for a foreign air carrier on a non-U.S. registered aircraft, who were over age 60, were permitted to fly into the United States under ICAO standards through operation specifications.

This is true. But it opens up domestic flying for your company to those above 65, and to countries like Australia, NZ and Canada, to name a few. And granted it requires a bit more work for crew scheduling to insure pilots above 65 can only operate selected countries.

True, but given that we don't have a single fleet that does NOT fly internationally, it won't make much of an impact. Since we're union and governed by seniority, we can't just say certain age people will just avoid those trips. If you're senior enough sure, but we have many who are junior in their seat but are older.

Back