Multi training in a Navajo

tbailey66

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Todd Bailey
How well do you think an accelerated multi course in a Navajo would be received? Quite a departure from the typical Dutchess and Senecas. I have an opportunity at standard model, but I need to make it pay for itself. Crappy idea? After reserves and fuel cost, I'm thinking wet time at around $375/hr. Not sure if someone would go for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Would it be available for rent or only available for training? I have access to a 421 for both. Not sure I would train in one that I could not rent at some point.

Jim

Good question. All speculation, but I'm sure it would be available on the flight line. I have a vision of trying create a 141 school and target students on a five day program. I just don't have enough knowledge to know if I'm dreaming or if students would come based upon the expense and type aircraft. I did a break even analysis and at 5 students per month I can make it work, but at a cost of 5500 bucks. I think I'm dreaming. But yes, I would make it available for rental.

For almost any multi student, there is no benefit to doing it in a Navajo (or any other cabin-class twin) over your standard trainer twin. There's a reason Duchesses and the like are so common. They are economical and have durable engines for endless engine failure training. The Navajo is neither. I fly a PA-31-310 and would shudder to think of putting it through that torture. You might do better offering specialty type training to owner pilots, but in that case you'd better have something good to bring to the table beyond 'I bought a Navajo and am a MEI'. As for $375...a Duchess goes for $250-300, and you're going to be burning a LOT more fuel in the Ho, not to mention setting aside for engine overhauls that cost at least double.

i think you would struggle greatly to run a training Ho for $375/hr wet.

Are there even any DPEs cleared to give a checkride in a Navajo?

That and insurance would probably be your two biggest obstacles.

Great advice from all. This pretty much clears my mind and is exactly what I needed to hear. Much appreciated.

Study your market, are most pilots looking for the ME willing to pay for comfort and style...or are they mostly all looking to check that box off as quickly and cheaply as possible?
Also study the local competition; what are their offerings and rates?

How well do you think an accelerated multi course in a Navajo would be received? Quite a departure from the typical Dutchess and Senecas. I have an opportunity at standard model, but I need to make it pay for itself. Crappy idea? After reserves and fuel cost, I'm thinking wet time at around $375/hr. Not sure if someone would go for that.

In addition to the comments above, doesn't the Navajo require a high altitude endorsement to be PIC?
If so, that's good and bad. Bad as the student can't be PIC for the checkride without the endorsement. Good as you might be able to include getting the endorsement as a selling point for the course. However, I *think* the endorsement requires flying at FL250. I've never flown a Navajo, so I don't know if that's practical.

My gut feeling is that this idea isn't going to work. If you do end up setting something up, shoot me a message. I'm always interested in flying new (to me) types of planes. As I said, I've never flown in a Navajo so I might be up for doing a few hours with you, depending on where you happen to be.

Navajos are not the best climbing machines single engine. Of course you will be light during training, but I'm betting other types will do better.

Also, many multi courses are a guaranteed price (to a certain point), so pricing it by the hour may be difficult.

In addition to the comments above, doesn't the Navajo require a high altitude endorsement to be PIC?
If so, that's good and bad. Bad as the student can't be PIC for the checkride without the endorsement. Good as you might be able to include getting the endorsement as a selling point for the course. However, I *think* the endorsement requires flying at FL250. I've never flown a Navajo, so I don't know if that's practical.

My gut feeling is that this idea isn't going to work. If you do end up setting something up, shoot me a message. I'm always interested in flying new (to me) types of planes. As I said, I've never flown in a Navajo so I might be up for doing a few hours with you, depending on where you happen to be.

No, a high altitude endorsement is only required for a pressurized aircraft that operates above FL250. The Navajo is not pressurized, and does not fly above FL250 (service ceiling is at FL250).

Back