Multi? Me? Yep!

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
While in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area all last week I 1)saw my mother through her cataract surgury, 2)visited a couple of customers, 3) had a fun dinner with Spike C. and Dave S. and 4)got my commercial MULTIENGINE airplane land rating.

Blaming Bruce C. and the other Lance F. I went to a school appropriately called Multiengine Training at Arlington Municipal Airport KGKY. They use Travelairs for this training, and it's about all they do. Very businesslike, solid ground school, a Travelair cockpit in their building to go over procedures and practice in, and a seasoned instructor who clearly knew what he was doing.

It was about 100 the 4 days I flew and if BE-95s have any ventilation, I couldn't find it. I sweated a lot. I found the flying challenging to say the least and to be honest tougher than I expected.

The practical test took about everything I had. The DPE, an American Eagle check pilot and trainer, went out of his way to decrease stress while we were on the ground. The oral went very well, and he was quite complimentary. His persona changed a bit in the check ride. He was like a drill instructor. The pace was much faster than the training flights. No chance to collect my thoughts or relax even for a second. Before a manoever was even over, he was giving rapid fire instructions for the next one. Some (in my opinion) I did very well, which was a good thing because I know he cut me some slack in others. A couple of times I had to say to myself, "he hasn't flunked me, so keep going." I think I had 7 engine "failures" during the ride, one VOR/DME approach CTL on one engine under the hood and 3 landings in various modes. I was very hot, and I was wasted at the end (1.3 hours). His style was push hard and see what happens. Fair but tough. In the debriefing none of the weaker points he mentioned was a surprise. His summary, "I know you may not think so, but you flew a good check ride. You're a good pilot."

For me, this was tougher than my IFR. New plane, hot temps, lot of new stuff real fast.

Who knows what I'll do with this, but if nothing else it will make me a better SE pilot as well.

Congratulations Lance. Great job...:yes:

Congrats Lance; glad to hear it went well. As well as you prepare, something would have had to go really poorly for it not to have worked out.

Enjoyed seeing you as always. Glad your Mom is doing well and looking forward to seeing you again soon. Guess this means you can log some time in a Baron now, huh <g>

Best,

Dave

Congrats, Lance!

When a friend did his CP-AMEL at ATP in Trenton, NJ, the DPE must have had the crap scared out of her in a prior checkride. He said her hands were shaking when she failed an engine on him :hairraise:

Note to self. Do multi check ride in winter time.

Congrats Lance, sounds like a HOT! time.
My flight school boss decided it was time for me to do the multi add on, made me a smoking deal, so multi here I come. I get to do it in a Baron. Followed by the Multi instructor ride. Agrees with Ed tho, makes mental note to do it later in the year.

Congrats Lance! Now you're entitled to burn avgas twice as fast!

I realized my AMEL checkride was over when the DPE commented "I think we've scared each other enough for one day." I thought I had failed because he hadn't made any comments yea or nay during the ride. As we taxiied to the ramp he handed me the temp cert. and said "If you don't get the permanent one within 90 days give me a call." WHEW!

Way to Go, Lance!!

For my b-day, the hubby got me 2 hrs multi-training........what was he thinking!!!! :eek:

Congratulations, Lance.

You know it follows logically after your double mag failure and SWEET emergency landing (I got sweaty just reading the account) that you would do this....and I didn't even have to suggest a thing :)

After my power off Mooney landing at Nashua in 1996 (whole family aboard), dropping in from 18K with a turbo induction leak, now I have FOUR mags, 24 plugs, two governors, four blades, 13 boots, and a hotplate to maintain. Am I nuts?

NO! What I have is a useable set of alternate procedures when one of them gets......very very quiet. And so will you. I see a twin commanche in your future...or a GA7.

Good on you! :)

7 engine failures, You'd think they'd maintain those engines better. You've left me wondering if you got hot because the DE crammed a lot into a short time or if the DE crammed a lot into a short time because it was hot.:D Anyway, congratulations on a job obviously well done.

7 engine failures, You'd think they'd maintain those engines better. You've left me wondering if you got hot because the DE crammed a lot into a short time or if the DE crammed a lot into a short time because it was hot.:D Anyway, congratulations on a job obviously well done.
...and a GOOD DE, too.

Oh and I figured out another thing, too. Lance Flynn can also drink from the firehose. It's a talent, for sure :)

Congrats Lance!
I'm in the Fort Worth area myself right now on business.
It's pretty nice out here.

Thanks all for the nice comments.

I thought of the firehose analogy many times while I was doing this. Also interesting is the Twin Commanche (Jetprop version) simulator training article in the new AOPA mag. Definitely firehose training.

This gives me a chance to build some multi time in a couple corporate planes based here when they want a second pilot for the mission(Navajo Chieftan and Cheyenne III). I want to do a bunch more flying with professional pilots before I set off on my own with all them spark plugs, magnetos, governors, props, boots, etc. Really all I got was another license to learn more...and I'm looking forward to it.

Back