Multi engine

Catalo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Catalo
I passed my ppl multi engine add on check ride today. Had my oral yesterday but was discontinued due to weather and darkness. Overall the oral took 40 minutes and the flight was 1.8hrs. I aced all the maneuvers then went back to dpa. First few landings went great. I take off and she fails my engine. As im running through checklist tower makes me extend upwind around 3 miles. The makes me extend downwind 2 miles. I over shot the base to final turn. Lucky the pattern was so messsed up that my dpe let it slide. But overall very fast thorough checkride nd I walked away with ny temp certificate.

Now that you're rated for two, let's go for three!!!

Congrats on the successful ride!

Let's go all out!

evwgi.jpg

Congrats,your gonna enjoy flying twins.

Let's go all out!

evwgi.jpg

His engine out story and the current holiday season reminded me of Santa's FAA Checkride story:
After completing the pre-flight inspection of the sleigh, harnesses, and reindeer, Santa taxis onto the runway and just as he's starting his takeoff roll he looks over and notices the inspector has a pump shotgun on his lap. "Hey! Whats the shotgun for!?" he yells?

DPE: "Well Santa, this is your multi- checkride. Just don't tell Donner or Blitzen, but on takeoff, there will be an engine failure..."​

I also found this one...

santa-faa.jpg

Congrats on the successful ride!
I start my instrument training tomorrow. I'm going up through cfii. I'm at atp im a fan of the fast track.

there's an oral for the multi ?
Yes. It's pretty easy. If you know your stuff it shouldn't take more than 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

I start my instrument training tomorrow. I'm going up through cfii. I'm at atp im a fan of the fast track.
They had you do Private Multi Engine? You do know you need to do another multi ride for the commercial as well. What's the rationale for that?

They had you do Private Multi Engine? You do know you need to do another multi ride for the commercial as well?
Yeah. But alot of the training is in multi engine.

Yes. It's pretty easy. If you know your stuff it shouldn't take more than 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

Mine took two hours, but that's because I asked him way more questions than he asked me. Guy had about 10,000 hours of Aztec time, and I was new to owning an Aztec. So, I got my money's worth. He seemed to enjoy it as much as me.

Mine took two hours, but that's because I asked him way more questions than he asked me. Guy had about 10,000 hours of Aztec time, and I was new to owning an Aztec. So, I got my money's worth. He seemed to enjoy it as much as me.
That was because you had questions not because you didn't know what you were doing. But yeah that can make a difference

That was because you had questions not because you didn't know what you were doing. But yeah that can make a difference

You're paying a lot of money for a checkride, and DPEs are usually people who know a good bit about what they're doing. So, I've typically felt it prudent to ask questions and learn something. They seem to appreciate it as well.

You're paying a lot of money for a checkride, and DPEs are usually people who know a good bit about what they're doing. So, I've typically felt it prudent to ask questions and learn something. They seem to appreciate it as well.

Yep, Betty Faux knew Travelairs inside and out, taught me a lot about it.

there's an oral for the multi ?

Yep. Mine was a little more than an hour I think. Easy peasy.

Multi is the most fun rating, probably the most fun checkride too. And there is little better than shooting a beautiful single-engine precision approach.

Congrats on the pass. Keep current!

Btw, why do they call it Multi-Engine checkride when you fly on a single engine practically the whole time? :-D
It's not the whole time. You do an engine out pattern and a few maneuvers. Most of it is both engines

Btw, why do they call it Multi-Engine checkride when you fly on a single engine practically the whole time? :-D

actually, why do they call it 'multi' engine? it should be called 'bi' engine or 'two-engine'. I think by definition 'multi' is actually > 2.

Back