Multi-engine rating books

rwy7

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rwy7
I'm thinking about getting my ME rating. Looking for book recommendations to start learning the knowledge part. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Bob Gardner has a pretty good book called "The Complete Multi-Engine Pilot". He may even be on this forum. I enjoyed it. Of course if you have an instructor picked out they may have an opinion. Good luck!

David

Bob Gardner has a pretty good book called "The Complete Multi-Engine Pilot". He may even be on this forum. I enjoyed it. Of course if you have an instructor picked out they may have an opinion. Good luck!

David
Thank you for the recommendation!

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2015/Nov/FAA_P-8740-66.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...ation/airplane_handbook/media/14_afh_ch12.pdf

All the reading you need with no expense. Honestly the ME was the easiest rating I've ever gotten. Just learn the drill: Mixture, Props, Throttle, Flaps Up, Gear Up, Identify, Verify, Fix or Feather, Emergency Checklist When Able. You'll be reciting it in your sleep.

Awesome! I will check these out first. Thank you

Search on eBay. I've bought a bunch of POHs etc on there cheap.

Not sure you really need a book, it's pretty simple stuff, only book I'd say you'll need to read up on is the POH

There's not a lot of book learning for the MEL. As others have said, it's mainly knowing the POH of the aircraft and then the various techniques for flying around on one engine. I think what's covered in the Airplane Flying Handbook is entirely sufficient.

I added an MEL to a commercial, and the oral was very heavy on the aircraft and aircraft systems. I think it's probably that way for the private, too.

When I did my MEI with the FAA the oral was very thorough and focused probably 80-90% on the POH, especially systems. Usually you can find the POH online for the plane you'll be training on and DL it, if you or the flight school don't have a copy.

Last edited:
I think there's a section in one of FAA publications for multi engine aircraft. I really only read that and the POH. The oral is basically straight out of the POH

It's basically PAST, CASTBOW, some random other items like zero fuel weight, and the POH. Besides that the rest is just practice.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2015/Nov/FAA_P-8740-66.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...ation/airplane_handbook/media/14_afh_ch12.pdf

All the reading you need with no expense. Honestly the ME was the easiest rating I've ever gotten. Just learn the drill: Mixture, Props, Throttle, Flaps Up, Gear Up, Identify, Verify, Fix or Feather, Emergency Checklist When Able. You'll be reciting it in your sleep.

During my multi training one time late at night I was sleeping in a car with someone else driving. For some reason his alarm clock went off and I jumped up yelling GO AROUND GEAR GEAR GEAR..!!!!! while reaching for throttles that were not there....:redface::lol::lol:

During my multi training one time late at night I was sleeping in a car with someone else driving. For some reason his alarm clock went off and I jumped up yelling GO AROUND GEAR GEAR GEAR..!!!!! while reaching for throttles that were not there....:redface::lol::lol:

Oh god. Crying laughing here. I can see that happening. :)

It's basically PAST, CASTBOW, some random other items like zero fuel weight, and the POH. Besides that the rest is just practice.

I don't learn with acronyms. I mean I do use GUMPS and CIGAR but that is it..

David

I used bob's book. In the end.. its really not that complicated.

This youtube video series is dated but I thought it was really helpful. It covers almost everything.

I don't learn with acronyms. I mean I do use GUMPS and CIGAR but that is it..

I used bob's book. In the end.. its really not that complicated.

This youtube video series is dated but I thought it was really helpful. It covers almost everything.

Ahhh the ol Jeppesen video. Yup.

At least it features one of my favorite airplanes. Not because I've ever flown one or ever will, but just because I think it's sexy.

T303 Crusader.

I also like Commander singles.

Just how they look.

It's a "boxy" thing. I like em.

And that cruciform tail! Even though it turns out that it's a horrible idea in icing, it just looks HAWT.

I think it's an 80s thing. Dunno.

I've been trying to figure out where that "ranch" strip is that Jepp shot a bunch of that video at. It's here in CO somewhere...

Ahhh the ol Jeppesen video. Yup.

At least it features one of my favorite airplanes. Not because I've ever flown one or ever will, but just because I think it's sexy.

T303 Crusader.

I also like Commander singles.

Just how they look.

It's a "boxy" thing. I like em.

And that cruciform tail! Even though it turns out that it's a horrible idea in icing, it just looks HAWT.

I think it's an 80s thing. Dunno.

I've been trying to figure out where that "ranch" strip is that Jepp shot a bunch of that video at. It's here in CO somewhere...

There was one of these parked in the north 40. Had a nice chat with the owner/cheerleader.

Back