MU-2 down at HIO

Ghery said:
Looks like an MU-2 is down. http://www.katu.com/stories/77360.html Came down just off Intel property next to the airport. Can't really tell from the media reports just what happened yet, but 4 people died in this one.

"Corkscrew – basically kind of a nosedive and corkscrew," said Brian Campbell, who witnessed the crash. "It looked like he was trying to pull out. It rotated about three times. It looked to me like one of the props shut down and the other one kept going."

"I was saying to myself, 'Pull up! Pull up!"' Sharon Van Mechelen told a Seattle television news station.

'Pull up! Pull up! Probably what the poor bastard was thinking as well. So many people find it hard to shove the nose down when close to the ground. Sounds like a OEI in takeoff phase leading to a Vmc event.

"A check by KATU News of National Transportation Safety Board records shows that in 1982, a Mitsubishi airplane with the same tail number blew a left engine shortly after takeoff. The pilot landed safely."

Does a 23 year old incident really mean anything or does this lend credence to the rest of the story?

And can someone tell me why, an hour after an accident, that they don't know the cause of it? Good gravy man. This IS the 21st century and we are ALL KNOWING.

Back