Mt ST Helens is at it again

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
and has a safe environment courtesy of govt.

NOTAM Number : FDC 5/9066 Issue Date : October 03, 2005 at 2031 UTC Location : Mt. St. Helen's Volcano, Auburn, Washington near BATTLE GROUND VORTAC (BTG) Beginning Date and Time : Effective Immediately Ending Date and Time : Until further notice Reason for NOTAM : Providing a safe environment for volcanic activity Type : Hazards Replaced NOTAM(s) : N/A Pilots May Contact : SEATTLE (SEA) System Operations Support Center, 202-267-3333

Note the issue date. Nothing new here. It is a spectacular view on a clear day.

Yep, nothing but a thin little vapor wisp from the volcano since that last somewhat sizeable steam plume a few months ago. I just leaned over my deck railing to check it and make sure nothing was coming out.

You can always check the webcam, too!
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/msh.php
Sometimes you can see a glow from the crater on a moonlit night, they have some nice archived pics of that.

I have a clear view of Mt. St. Helens from my office parking lot -- nothin' happenin' as of 5:20 PM today. That's been a standing NOTAM since the latest big burp a couple of years ago.

You have to love the FAA's turn of phrase -- "Providing a safe environment for volcanic activity" ... can my airplane really endanger a volcanic eruption??

A few years ago there was a TFR over Chino, California, "to provide a safe environment for prison riot." :eek:

Memories! In 1980, that volcano was a huge pain in the ash for NAS Whidbey Island.

It also took a volcano to make me realize I wouldn't likely be waken by a shotgun outside my barracks window on a Sunday morning, on a Navy base. But, God had an alternative to get my attention during that dream! :)

You have to love the FAA's turn of phrase -- "Providing a safe environment for volcanic activity" ... can my airplane really endanger a volcanic eruption??

:rofl: :rofl:

"safe environment" + "volcanic activity" == contradiction in terms

Back