Mt props

frfly172

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
ron keating
Anyone having problems with the paint on their mt props in rain.took the plane from Norwood Mass to Appleton today a lot of IMC with rain at the end of trip noticed a lot of paint gone from the tips.This has happened several times.

Anyone having problems with the paint on their mt props in rain.took the plane from Norwood Mass to Appleton today a lot of IMC with rain at the end of trip noticed a lot of paint gone from the tips.This has happened several times.
I had mine overhauled at MT Deland about 2 years ago. The first time I got it out in some moisture paint started coming off. I took it to an auto body shop that said the paint just came off in sheets and they must have used incompatible primer. The body shop painted it and with the expected exception of the leading edge, I have not had a problem since.

Thanks as mt has been no help also they have an attitude.

When I noticed a problem with the paint job on my freshly overhauled MT prop I did not bother to contact them and complain. I figured it would just be faster and easier to haul it down to the local body man than to try and get it back to MT Deland.

Without question they had a severe adhesion problem with the paint they put on my prop. I will say though that when I had a problem with my P-120-U electric controller not functioning properly they were very helpful getting it sorted out. They sent me a replacement P-120-U controller and let me keep it for a couple months for free.

Same here. Brand-new prop in 2010 shed paint in less than 5 hours TT very badly. After a lot of complaining I got them to repaint it at the local distributor/prop shop under warranty with the same result. After a LOT more complaining I got a new set of blades (which turned out to be overhauled, not new) to replace my <100 TT blades that shed paint twice. The replacement blades used a standard color (white with black tips) vs. my original custom color (white with maroon tips) and they have held up better, but are starting to lose a little paint from the edges.

The root of their problem is an extremely poor design choice, and I even requested they change for my replacement blades. I 100% believe the structural design of the blades is great, especially the replaceable stainless steel leading edges. What they did wrong is to install the edge, then apply filler behind it and carry the paint over the joint and onto the stainless steel. NOTHING sticks to stainless steel. Even worse, they leave an exposed edge aimed right at the airstream and even if paint stuck to stainless steel, it will eventually erode no matter what. I requested they paint the blades first, then put the steel over the paint and that configuration would last result in no paint erosion. Obstinate Germans don't see it that way, though.

Love the prop, hate the paint issues.

I had mine overhauled at MT Deland about 2 years ago. The first time I got it out in some moisture paint started coming off. I took it to an auto body shop that said the paint just came off in sheets and they must have used incompatible primer. The body shop painted it and with the expected exception of the leading edge, I have not had a problem since.

When you have an auto body shop paint the prop(s), do they need/require the balance checked again?

I have had the stainless separate from the prop inflight while IMC Deland charged for the overhaul almost as muh as new prop.they had to repainting and blamed me saying I must have gone over gravel.Spoke to the people from Germany who were no help and talking to Deland is useless and he has an attitude will probably look into a different prop for the future.

When you have an auto body shop paint the prop(s), do they need/require the balance checked again?
I have a 3 blade so undoubtedly that is a factor with balance but mine was not rebalanced and it is very smooth. Also I am an experimental which may be a factor.

Back