Moving to LI... KFRG

Fredo0709

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Austin
Hi, I'm a low time pilot looking to build time before going for an instrument rating. I've found several flight clubs but they are very hard to get a hold of to ask questions.

Does anyone have any recommendations for renting and perhaps a lesson or two? The two need not be the same place.

Thanks in advance!
Austin

Hi, I'm a low time pilot looking to build time before going for an instrument rating. I've found several flight clubs but they are very hard to get a hold of to ask questions.

Does anyone have any recommendations for renting and perhaps a lesson or two? The two need not be the same place.

Thanks in advance!
Austin

I like Nassau Flyers. I've finished my PPL there and are in the middle of instrument training. They have nice fleet of planes including SR20/22s and both Steam Gauge and G1000 C172S/SP. As with every flight school the biggest issue is your CFI "abandons" you half way through your training. NFI is no exception, but the staffs are great.

The other place that's pretty good is Ventura though I have no personal experience with them.

Good luck and feel free to shoot me a PM if you need any additional info.

Big plus-vote from me to Ventura. Very professional operation.
FRG is a fun airport to fly out of. Gets pretty busy at times, but that just adds to the fun.

Try ATC's sense of humor (especially the ladies), when you give your location as "at the Hooters" instead of "at the Mall"...

Global Aviation. Global Aviation has Warriors for $135/hr (non GPS) and $145/hr (G430). There are also students that are building time towards instrument and commercial ratings that want to split time. Here's the website http://www.globalaviationcorp.net/

I did my training with Positive Rate Gear Up and still rent from them. They are probably the least expensive on the field and they stay up with the maintenance. They also have a bunch of guys looking to build time

Enjoy the pizza and bagels, sorry about the traffic. Are you super close to KFRG? Or other airports an option?

I'm a fan of Long Island Aviators ( http://longislandaviators.com/ ).

Good rates, good availability. No "big commercial flight school" feeling. You get your own set of keys to each aircraft you're checked out in, so no need to deal with dispatch and delays at the flight school when you just want to go for a joyride. Just schedule it online and go right to the plane. Lessons available too. The CFIs there are mostly high-hour older guys, not 300TT kids on a jet career path.

Enjoy the pizza and bagels, sorry about the traffic. Are you super close to KFRG? Or other airports an option?

I am moving to Woodbury so FRG is the closest. But I did take a trip to ISP and it's not thaaaat bad. It took about 30 min on 495. I'd say ISP is definitely an option.

Thanks,
Austin

Thanks for the response everyone! I'm excited to fly down here. I currently live in CT and fly out of BDR. I actually got my PPL 11 years ago but haven't flown until recently. I got my BFR now and I plan to fly more regularly.

I've had trouble contacting folks at global aviation and Long Island aviators. I left messages at both places. For Long Island aviators, I caught a CFI named and he told me to call Greg. I left a message a few days ago but I haven't heard back.

I didn't know about Ventura. I thought they were just an FBO selling fuel and maintaining aircraft. I'll look into them.

Thanks again,
Austin

Try ATC's sense of humor (especially the ladies), when you give your location as "at the Hooters" instead of "at the Mall"...

Haha. I'll be sure to try that when I move here. Thanks.

The gliding club at Brookhaven had a C-172 and a suoercub that members could rent cheap. Dunno if they still have them. Fair warning the soaring on LI sucks, ocean kills thermal activity.

The gliding club at Brookhaven had a C-172 and a suoercub that members could rent cheap. Dunno if they still have them. Fair warning the soaring on LI sucks, ocean kills thermal activity.

Long Island Soaring Assoc. is going strong at Brookhaven (KHWV). Check them out at LongIslandSoaring.com.

On the power plane side they replaced the 172 with a newer one last year; IFR G430-equiped. They still operate the Super Cub, too - it is a backup towplane and is available for [checked-out members to] rent, subject to towing needs.

Their glider ops are subject to weather, and Greg's right summer time isn't great for shore soaring; spring is much better. If you're interested in paying a visit, PM me and I can put you in contact with the right people to make sure they're out flying when you visit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response everyone! I'm excited to fly down here. I currently live in CT and fly out of BDR. I actually got my PPL 11 years ago but haven't flown until recently. I got my BFR now and I plan to fly more regularly.

I've had trouble contacting folks at global aviation and Long Island aviators. I left messages at both places. For Long Island aviators, I caught a CFI named and he told me to call Greg. I left a message a few days ago but I haven't heard back.

I didn't know about Ventura. I thought they were just an FBO selling fuel and maintaining aircraft. I'll look into them.

Thanks again,
Austin

I sent you a PM, I can get you more information.

Hi TommyG, I must have missed the PM. I don't see anything in the inbox. Would you mind sending it to me again?

Hey Austin,

Welcome to NY, I have flown out of both airports, feel free to PM if you have any questions or would like to talk.

Welcome to Long Island! It's an amazing place to fly out of-- such great views!

I've flown out of KISP and KHWV with both Heritage flight academy and mid-island. Heritage is out of KISP and mid island, while having an islip locale, I currently fly with them out of KHWV. Honestly, heritage is amazing for training and I'd go back there to get training but they are terrible for building time with or taking pleasure trips with. They only let me rent the 172's for 4 hour chunks of time because they are extremely busy all the time. That just did not work for me and I had to switch. They did have a pretty solid 152 that was cheap( 125 and hour) that you could take for as long as you wanted, but it was so slow that it took forever to get anywhere!

Mid Island out at KHWV is a great, small, easy place. They let you schedule online as far in advance as you want and you can take the plane as far as you want and for as long as you want. They have a huge fleet, 4 172's about 6 or so 152's, 2 warriors, an archer and some
Small LSA planes. The 172's are no frills, just standard VFR planes with no gps but they fly great. I've literally never not gotten a plane for the time and day I wanted. They offer a discount of 20% if you fly early on Saturday or Sunday( plane must be back by 1000am.) and offer pilot clubs which you can pay a small upfront fee and that reduces the hourly fee even more. 2 weeks ago I got 1.7 hours in a 172 for 186 bucks taking advantage of their pilot clubs and early bird discount. Honestly, around here, that's incredibly good! I'd totally recommend them.

Back