Moving a Champ'

If you have a van, you can haul the wing inside cradled diagonally out the back doors. If you have a receiver hitch set up you can pull the ball and bolt down a U channel for the tailwheel. If you make the channel long enough, you can probably leave the H-stab on, but make sure to see how tight you can turn.

It's coming in for a full rebuild so the tail's coming off anyway.

I've never tried that. they are too short for the fuselage to set the main gear on.

Too short? In what way? A guy on an Aeronca site said he towed one 100 miles on a rental car dolly. Perhaps we're envisioning different things, this is what I believe he was referring to.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:,,

Both of my snowmobile trailers have Wyoming tags and I am 100 % sure Wisconsin sells and requires tags on their trailers too...

Small trailers do not require tags in Wisconsin.

Remember to put Timkin wheel bearing in it so it can be moved on a road. They're sooo much different than, and far superior to, the PMA bearings.

:goofy:

4x8 Harbor Freight trailer - didn't move the fuselage. But if I had, I would have bolted a hitch to the tail spring. I would think that you would need to have a lot of toe out to scrub the tires in 7 miles...

I had that same trailer for almost 25 years. Quite handy, folds up to save space. In order to save even more space I gave it away recently to my daughter and son-in-law.

Too short? In what way? A guy on an Aeronca site said he towed one 100 miles on a rental car dolly. Perhaps we're envisioning different things, this is what I believe he was referring to.

I'm having a hard time imagining how you're going to tow an aircraft fuselage with that. :dunno:

I bet a tow company would do it with a flat bed pretty cheap if you let them pick a slow time.

I think that would be hard on the little tailwheel for any significant distance. Maybe not but I would never have considered doing it that way. Henning's idea of strapping the nose down to keep the tailwheel off seems like a possible stroke of genius. Tying the tailwheel onto the dolly? Why use a dolly? Just hook it to the hitch on the back of your truck and tow backwards on the mains - that's how I did it.

I think that would be hard on the little tailwheel for any significant distance. Maybe not but I would never have considered doing it that way. Henning's idea of strapping the nose down to keep the tailwheel off seems like a possible stroke of genius. Tying the tailwheel onto the dolly? Why use a dolly? Just hook it to the hitch on the back of your truck and tow backwards on the mains - that's how I did it.

Yeah, even when I fast taxi I pick the tail up.

Back