[Movies] Go see in theaters? Or wait for streaming/DVD?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Avengers Infinity War
Deadpool 2
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Thoughts? Opinions?

Any other current or soon to be released movies we can discuss about see now or wait?

Avengers was good on the big screen.

Sequel number two is usually not as good as the first.

Everything in Star Wars is just Disney doing soft reboots and spin offs. Nothing new or interesting there. Bunch of CGI of the Millennium Falcon to suck in 70s and 80s kids. It’s dead as a franchise. Pop culture pulp fiction.

Space movies must be seen on the big screen, the rest, no. That said, I'm really wanting to see Deadpool2 in the theater. I loved the 1st one, and the 2nd is supposed to be better.

if you are addicted to high-end computer graphics, big battles, explosions, etc., then you must see on a large screen. If, on the other hand, the story and acting is more important, then wait for streaming.

Oh, wait, Marvel/Disney and story/acting....contradiction in terms these days.

I did see AV3 and Black Panther on the big screen, but I used to teach CGi, so I went for the technical aspect. From a CGi POV, BP was much more innovative than AV3. Which is really strange, because the same houses are doing all the Marvel movies.

When can we start spoilers on AV3?

Last edited:
I still haven't seen the new Star Wars (Last Jedi?). I keep saying I am going to go to the movies and see all these new ones like Avengers but always just end up borrowing them from a friend who always buys them when they come out on DVD.

Movies like that I want to see on a big screen. Lots of others I'm happy to wait for whatever is streaming them. Good example is Whiplash. Really good movie, and J.K. Simmons really earned his Academy Award. That said, I was pretty cool with seeing it on a small screen.

Movies like that I want to see on a big screen. Lots of others I'm happy to wait for whatever is streaming them. Good example is Whiplash. Really good movie, and J.K. Simmons really earned his Academy Award. That said, I was pretty cool with seeing it on a small screen.
"A Quiet Place" is one you do NOT want to see on the big screen.

As for AV3 and BP, I fell asleep for a bit in both of them. Missed the entire car chase in BP.

Last edited:
I still haven't seen the new Star Wars (Last Jedi?)
Since that movie was more plot points than innovative effects or cinematography, small screen is just fine.

Guess I should mention that the purpose of the thread was help budget my entertainment dollars.

With movies in general, I've become really jaded on what's being offered. Spend $12.00 for a 90 minute flick that wasn't very good to start with. Or was more explosions and noise than good character development and plot.

So before I go to a theater and watch something that isn't to the same the level of just observing the results of applying a lit match to 12 one dollar bills, I'd like to hear from others about the films.

Guess I should mention that the purpose of the thread was help budget my entertainment dollars.

With movies in general, I've become really jaded on what's being offered. Spend $12.00 for a 90 minute flick that wasn't very good to start with. Or was more explosions and noise than good character development and plot.

So before I go to a theater and watch something that isn't to the same the level of just observing the results of applying a lit match to 12 one dollar bills, I'd like to hear from others about the films.

You won’t find character development and plot in Avengers. It’s the second to last movie before all the character spin offs.

If you do go see it. Stay to after the credits. There’s a final scene. Kinda fun.

You won’t find character development and plot in Avengers. It’s the second to last movie before all the character spin offs.

If you do go see it. Stay to after the credits. There’s a final scene. Kinda fun.
That last scene was the only one that had any impact on me. The rest of it was classic & stereotypical Marvel SuperHero.

Once more people here have seen it, I'll post my definition of Thanos.

If anyone watched Kimmel a few weeks ago, the main cast was on during the week. Best line came from Brolin - "I'm wearing a velcro onsies with dots all over."

On the positive side, I'd like to thank all of you who have been pushing my Disney stock up.

I have a decent home theater setup. Nothing fancy, just a comfortable couch and a surround system with a too-big subwoofer. Netflix blu-rays show up in my mailbox every now and then. We might see a couple movies on the big screen each year, but mainly we can wait until we can see them at home.

Although Wonder Woman sure looked nice on the big-ish screen at the local googleplex...

I think the last movie I saw in the theaters was back in 2005.

I have digital surround and a large screen. Plus if I gotta take a leak, I can just hit pause, and come back. And don't have to worry about the jackhole in front of me talking on his phone.

Plus, not really big on going to the movies alone and being "that guy."

Quiet Place was really good! Deadpool 2 in theaters is a must. Why wait when you can get some good laughs today?

Make your own theater and be done with the big box theater. I hate going to the movies and getting my chair kicked, cant find a good seat, paying through the nose. I have converted my room over my garage into a theater and we love it. Got a 120" screen with a benq projector and a serious Polk audio sound system thats rocks the house,reclining chairs and all. I can watch what I want, when I want, as loud as I want, always have the perfect seat and nobody kicks my chair. I can bring all the snacks I want too. Our room isnt that big either, its 16x14 and 2 rows of seating so anything is possible.

Avengers Infinity War
Deadpool 2
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Thoughts? Opinions?

Any other current or soon to be released movies we can discuss about see now or wait?

The only one of those three that I might possibly watch is Solo but I am not totally sure about that one. I just feel that the kid they have playing Solo will try to mimic Harrison Ford's mannerisms and will fall flat. Origin type stories where a younger actor plays a younger version of an older character made famous by another actor especially one like Ford hardly ever work out well. For example, I didn't care much for the Star Trek movie where all of the characters were younger. Just not the same.

As for the super hero movies, I have never been much of a fan of them.

Avengers Infinity War : Do Not Care. At home if at all, probably never, but I do love the raccoon. And Groot.

Deadpool 2 : At home, on demand, probably when it's free. I'd rather see it in the theater, but SWMBO is not a Deadpool fan.

Solo : Theater. It's Star Wars, and I'm just happy that the newer flicks don't just plain SUCK as badly as, well, Ewoks and such. But, the franchise is slipping and I'm losing interest despite being a fan since well before opening night in '77.

The answer also depends on what you're watching it on and with whom. Now that my boys have moved out, I wait and watch action movies at home. I have a really nice home theater setup, and my wife is a not interested. But we'll go to the movies on dates sometimes, and often that's in a theater.

Everything in Star Wars is just Disney doing soft reboots and spin offs. Nothing new or interesting there. Bunch of CGI of the Millennium Falcon to suck in 70s and 80s kids. It’s dead as a franchise. Pop culture pulp fiction.

Last Jedi had a good bit of complexity to it that made things interesting, I thought.

Action and/or Fantasy movies have to been seen in the theaters for the full effect. Comedy’s or anything else can be viewed at home. Last movie I saw in the theater was the new Star Wars. It wouldn’t have been the same watching it at home.

I second the build your own theater choice. Seven years ago I painted a 120" screen on the wall of an unused room, sub $1k projector (1st 720p, then 1080p), sub $1k 7.1 surround system. Connected to a dedicated PC, I P2P movies once they are available for check out on blue ray at my local library (that's the ethics line I use with the kids, anyway).

I can count on one hand the number of times I have gone to the movies since then. Admittedly, Last Jedi was one of those, Solo is probably in my future as well.

I second the build your own theater choice. Seven years ago I painted a 120" screen on the wall of an unused room, sub $1k projector (1st 720p, then 1080p), sub $1k 7.1 surround system. Connected to a dedicated PC, I P2P movies once they are available for check out on blue ray at my local library (that's the ethics line I use with the kids, anyway).

I can count on one hand the number of times I have gone to the movies since then. Admittedly, Last Jedi was one of those, Solo is probably in my future as well.

Atmos/DTS-X/Auro3D audio is on another level though. It’s truly impressive at the theater. We like going to the theater once or twice a year. The Warren by us has heated/massaging recliners, serves decent food/alcohol, and keeps everyone off their cell phones. Really a good experience the dozen times we’ve been in it over 4-5 years.

We have a Klipsch 5.1.2 setup at home, parents have a dedicated home theater 120” 1080 7.1 Klipsch setup. Both are fine for home use, but don’t hold a candle to Atmos and a good action flick. If I were designing a new home with a dedicated theater room, id probably opt for a 7.2.4 setup in a format-agnostic layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That last scene was the only one that had any impact on me. The rest of it was classic & stereotypical Marvel SuperHero.

Right. Exactly what movie 3 of four that’s spinning a new character arc from that final scene this summer was supposed to be.

Due to messed up family planning I actually got to see it again tonight. Caught a few more things the second time around.

Disney completely screwed up Star Wars but has Marvel right. It’s strange.

Waiting thru the credits a second time was like... whoa. So many people.

Right. Exactly what movie 3 of four that’s spinning a new character arc from that final scene this summer was supposed to be.

Due to messed up family planning I actually got to see it again tonight. Caught a few more things the second time around.

Disney completely screwed up Star Wars but has Marvel right. It’s strange.

Waiting thru the credits a second time was like... whoa. So many people.
Of course there's hundreds of people. It's 85% green/blue/orange screen and lots of wire work, which needs rotoscoping.

Let's hear it for the geeks!

I'm a movie nut, so I go see almost all the movies I care about seeing in the theater. But 95% of the time I go to Alamo Drafthouse, which is reserved seating, food and drinks, and I like their in-your-face policies on people talking and texting during the movie. I've probably been to a couple dozen movies there and have yet to have a bad experience, or be bothered with people talking or texting.

As far as the movies the OP mentioned...

Infinity War - I'm not a huge superhero fan, but I have gone to most (all?) of the Marvel movies. I liked Infinity War, but it wasn't quite as good as I hoped, given how much it had been hyped. But it was good enough I went back to see it a second time. There wasn't much character development except for Thanos and Gamora. The standout character for me was actually Ebony Maw, one of Thanos' henchmen. He wasn't onscreen for long, but I felt the acting and character development was stronger with him than many of the other characters. So much so, I could even see him in a prequel type spinoff movie where he's the main baddie. The one character that I didn't like was Peter Dinklage's character. I don't know if it was the character or whether he was miscast or what, but that character just seemed off to me.

Deadpool 2 - I loved DP1, and was blown away by how good it was. However, I've read that prescreen audience reactions to DP2 haven't been very good, and that it's been through some rewrites and reshoots. But I'll still go see it.

Solo - I'm a Star Wars junkie, so I'll have to go see this one. Will reserve judgement until after I see it. The Last Jedi didn't sit well with me the first time I saw it, but I've since warmed up to it more after seeing it a couple more times.

And just to mention another movie somebody posted about...

A Quiet Place - Decent movie once it got going, but for me, sitting through 30 minutes (or more) of a movie where there's little to no dialog is tiresome. I felt the same about Castaway. I remember thinking, "if somebody doesn't start saying something in the next 10 minutes, I'm outta here." Once it got going, though, it was okay. Certainly not the best scary/thriller movie I've seen, but it was decent.

Make your own theater and be done with the big box theater. I hate going to the movies and getting my chair kicked, cant find a good seat, paying through the nose. I have converted my room over my garage into a theater and we love it. Got a 120" screen with a benq projector and a serious Polk audio sound system thats rocks the house,reclining chairs and all. I can watch what I want, when I want, as loud as I want, always have the perfect seat and nobody kicks my chair. I can bring all the snacks I want too. Our room isnt that big either, its 16x14 and 2 rows of seating so anything is possible.

This is what I did. I think I built the whole thing for the price of a really nice TV.

I'm a movie nut, so I go see almost all the movies I care about seeing in the theater. But 95% of the time I go to Alamo Drafthouse, which is reserved seating, food and drinks, and I like their in-your-face policies on people talking and texting during the movie. I've probably been to a couple dozen movies there and have yet to have a bad experience, or be bothered with people talking or texting.

As far as the movies the OP mentioned...

Infinity War - I'm not a huge superhero fan, but I have gone to most (all?) of the Marvel movies. I liked Infinity War, but it wasn't quite as good as I hoped, given how much it had been hyped. But it was good enough I went back to see it a second time. There wasn't much character development except for Thanos and Gamora. The standout character for me was actually Ebony Maw, one of Thanos' henchmen. He wasn't onscreen for long, but I felt the acting and character development was stronger with him than many of the other characters. So much so, I could even see him in a prequel type spinoff movie where he's the main baddie. The one character that I didn't like was Peter Dinklage's character. I don't know if it was the character or whether he was miscast or what, but that character just seemed off to me.

Deadpool 2 - I loved DP1, and was blown away by how good it was. However, I've read that prescreen audience reactions to DP2 haven't been very good, and that it's been through some rewrites and reshoots. But I'll still go see it.
The disadvantage of franchises. Must keep the masses happy.

And just to mention another movie somebody posted about...

A Quiet Place - Decent movie once it got going, but for me, sitting through 30 minutes (or more) of a movie where there's little to no dialog is tiresome. I felt the same about Castaway. I remember thinking, "if somebody doesn't start saying something in the next 10 minutes, I'm outta here." Once it got going, though, it was okay. Certainly not the best scary/thriller movie I've seen, but it was decent.
I was the only person in the packed theater to laugh when the camera did the pullback with Dinklage. I don't get HBo, never seen GoT but he's been in enough tv and films that no one else got it?

The standout character for me was actually Ebony Maw, one of Thanos' henchmen. He wasn't onscreen for long, but I felt the acting and character development was stronger with him than many of the other characters. So much so, I could even see him in a prequel type spinoff movie where he's the main baddie. The one character that I didn't like was Peter Dinklage's character. I don't know if it was the character or whether he was miscast or what, but that character just seemed off to me.

Agree on both characters, but I’m an Aqua Teen Hunger Force fan, and all I could think of was the Mooninites! Hahaha.

“We do whatever we want, to whoever we want, at all times.”

LOL. I actually had to try pretty hard to stifle a laugh the first time I saw him and heard him talk. Hahahaha.

Any Alfred Hitchcock movie needs to be seen on a big screen.

Vertigo had me hanging on to the arms of the seat to keep from falling....

This is what I did. I think I built the whole thing for the price of a really nice TV.

Yep for under 3000 bucks we got a nice theater set up. Family and friends said they would rather pay us to watch a movie instead of going out.

Life is great...if I would have just down down to jack Edwards, KJKA, I'd go upstairs and watch a movie haha

47 minutes to review a 2 hour movie??? The rationale behind your epic posts are starting to come into focus...

Those guys are more entertaining and less predictable than committee-run Disney. (Which is what they were talking/joking about. Disney let “some guy” claim full credit for writing AND directing Last Jedi?!

LOL. Not a snowball’s chance in hell that actually happened.

Atmos/DTS-X/Auro3D audio is on another level though. It’s truly impressive at the theater.

I can appreciate that, but with jet engine damaged hearing in all four ears, certain levels are lost on us.

The Warren by us has heated/massaging recliners, serves decent food/alcohol, and keeps everyone off their cell phones.

Must be nice to live in an upscale Tulsa suburb with all the goodies, it is a major event for us to drive to a decent theater. The only warren by us is filled with rabbits. :p

I can appreciate that, but with jet engine damaged hearing in all four ears, certain levels are lost on us.

Must be nice to live in an upscale Tulsa suburb with all the goodies, it is a major event for us to drive to a decent theater. The only warren by us is filled with rabbits. :p

They even let us poor folk into the theater once in a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from seeing Avengers: Infinity War.

6.6 outta 10 for plot/story telling, where 10 is something that would see you again and again.
9.0 outta 10 for the effects.

Academy Award goes to Mantis for her line “We are here to kick names and take ass“ and the casting director for picking Josh Brolin as Thanos.

Thanks for heads up to bear through the credits for the final scene. The foreshadowing that teased the next addition to the MCU was worth the wait.

Back