Mouse over thread title for sneak peek only works sometimes?

Jim_R

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
One feature I use(d) a lot on the old site was hovering the mouse over a thread title to get the first few words of the post. Sometimes, the title is vague/misleading and that sneak peek is enough to remember "oh yeah, *that* thread" so I know if I want to click it or skip it.

I was happy to see that same feature work on the new forum software. Except, sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't! So far, I haven't been able to determine a pattern. (I always browse the site using Chrome on a PC, if that makes any difference.)

What's the trick there? How do I get the forum to consistently give me the sneak peek when I mouse over the thread title?

works pretty solid for me, but u gotta hover for a sec for it to kick in. me likey. firefox and ie.

Never works for me (Chrome and Win10) and it drives me nuttier.

Well it didn't work on this thread, :D , or any lately so I gave up.

Just press down on your screen for iPhone 6Ss ;)

When it does work, the huge popup gets hidden if the thread title is in the top half of the browser.

It's one of the crappiest "features" of the new software. Well, that and the mouseover page numbers in the title and every freaking link takes you to the last read post instead of the start of the thread.

Works on Win7Pro and Chrome... just gotta hover for a short bit.

I've figured out that the sneak peek works on one of my PCs but not the other. I think it may be related to whether pop-ups are blocked in the Chrome settings (I confirmed they're allowed on the PC I'm currently using that is showing the sneak peek...will check the other next time I'm there).

Edit--not true; I mis-read the pop-up exception site name in the Chrome settings. There's another aviation forum I'm on where I allow popups, but it's not PoA.

Last edited:
I've figured out that the sneak peek works on one of my PCs but not the other. I think it may be related to whether pop-ups are blocked in the Chrome settings (I confirmed they're allowed on the PC I'm currently using that is showing the sneak peek...will check the other next time I'm there).
Well, rats--I take it back. Popups are NOT allowed in Chrome on the PC that DOES show the sneak peek. (They're not allowed on the other PC, either.) So that's not it, and I still don't know what the difference between the two is.

Actually, it depends also on where in the forum you are.

I use Chrome in Windows. If I go to a forum section and hover, I get the sneak peak. But if I click on "New Posts", all hover gives me is "Go to first unread message". So it is also a forum software issue.

Actually, it depends also on where in the forum you are.

I use Chrome in Windows. If I go to a forum section and hover, I get the sneak peak. But if I click on "New Posts", all hover gives me is "Go to first unread message". So it is also a forum software issue.
That's bizarre.

For what it's worth, on the PC where I get no sneak peek, I get nothing everywhere. (I just tested it.)

On the PC where I do get a sneak peek, I get it when scanning "New Posts"; that's the only way I browse this site.

Back