Mouse and keyboard quit working

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
The mouse AND keyboard on my desktop computer quit working at the same time. Unplugging and replugging didn't help. Reboot did not help. Any ideas? Easy fix? Not so easy fix?

Additional information. I have a wireless USB mouse that I use with my laptop. IT works fine. Maybe the easy solution is to get a USB keyboard?

If your keyboard and mouse both died, how'd you post this? ;)

Seriously -
Wired or wireless?

Why would BOTH go at the same time? But I will try.
You dare ask a logical question with regard to Windows' operation? :)

Sometimes, one or the other disables on one of my machines. It returns to working normally and I don't have a clue what was happening in the mean time.

Most items are now wireless except for the network connections. I'm about to make all mouse critters and keyboards wireless.

We keep hoping this will happen to Kenny ;)

Could it be that the +5vdc on the keyboard port is starting to go because of a power supply issue?

We keep hoping this will happen to Kenny ;)

Could it be that the +5vdc on the keyboard port is starting to go because of a power supply issue?

O come on now Scott.

Todays computers are disposable you throw it away and buy a brand new obsolete one.

If you did identify bad compenents in the power supply then you have to find a store that has the components, open the box, unsolder and resolder using your golf course words. In the end if you're lucky you have an old obsolete computer that runs for week and blows the same @%^#% component again.:dunno:

O come on now Scott.

Todays computers are disposable you throw it away and buy a brand new obsolete one.

If you did identify bad compenents in the power supply then you have to find a store that has the components, open the box, unsolder and resolder using your golf course words. In the end if you're lucky you have an old obsolete computer that runs for week and blows the same @%^#% component again.:dunno:
No just buy the new PS to go into the cabinet. You can pick them up at Radio Shack and they use standard connectors for the desktop models.

No just buy the new PS to go into the cabinet. You can pick them up at Radio Shack and they use standard connectors for the desktop models.

Sure about RS? I went in yesterday to find a DB25-DB9 adapter and the girl asked, "Is that for a computer?" Dumb looks are still free. And, no, they didn't have one. And, I didn't have the heart to tell her that only 1 end was for a computer, the other end of the cable was going to a radio. Oh well, I found what I needed in my junk box when I got home. And my wife wonders why I never throw anything away. :D

Last edited:
This isn't true of all computers. Some are proprietary. Gateway was just such a creation. I'm not sure if it still is. I ended up tossing a computer after a year because the power supply died. It was shaped odd because of the stupid non-standard cabinet design and the outputs were non-identifiable. I'm a bit more selective these days.

Ditto to Ghery's comments on Radio Shucks. Those stores ain't what they used to be when it was a franchise for a real electronics store.

If the +5VDC on the power supply quit working--you'd have a hell of a lot more problems than a keyboard/mouse not working. The +5V is delivered to the keyboard via the ATX connector on the motherboard which also is delivered to about everything else.

Greg--does your keyboard work before Windows boots? If you start hitting F8 on the keyboard right after you turn it on do you get a screen that lets you pick safe mode? If so--does it work in safe mode? Does the num lock light turn on and off?

If the +5VDC on the power supply quit working--you'd have a hell of a lot more problems than a keyboard/mouse not working. The +5V is delivered to the keyboard via the ATX connector on the motherboard which also is delivered to about everything else.
Depends on the PS. On the old HPs there were separate PSs for assy and board power.

Depends on the PS. On the old HPs there were separate PSs for assy and board power.

On anything Greg is likely to own--this is not the case. The place to start with this is with the above steps I wrote. Does it work before Windows, does the numlock light work? Those are the two important questions that will point us towards an actual fix.

Last edited:

Greg--does your keyboard work before Windows boots? If you start hitting F8 on the keyboard right after you turn it on do you get a screen that lets you pick safe mode? If so--does it work in safe mode? Does the num lock light turn on and off?

I imagine that there should be some kind of load shed or circuit protection on the USB power so if a USB device shorts it out or draws too much current it doesn't kill the whole system.

In Greg's case if he anything other than teh mouse or keyboard pluugeed in he should try removing the other stuff.

I found that switching USB ports makes a difference on my tower PC. It has 4 ports, but two are on each of two connections to the motherboard.

I imagine that there should be some kind of load shed or circuit protection on the USB power so if a USB device shorts it out or draws too much current it doesn't kill the whole system.

In Greg's case if he anything other than teh mouse or keyboard pluugeed in he should try removing the other stuff.

I found that switching USB ports makes a difference on my tower PC. It has 4 ports, but two are on each of two connections to the motherboard.
I got the impression that Greg's stuff was not on the USB ports but on the round DIN ports.

I got the impression that Greg's stuff was not on the USB ports but on the round DIN ports.
Yeah, that's the question I was going to ask. If they're both USB devices, I'd suspect a USB driver got mucked up or a hardware problem with the USB controller. If they're both round DIN connectors, then something with the drivers or the MoBo in general. Beyond doing the F8 thing that Jesse mentioned, you could try a bootable Linux disk just to see if it recognizes the keyboard and mouse. That'll help narrow it down to hardware vs. software. And definitely unplug/plug the components in a few times. I'm certainly interested in the lights on the keyboard. Do they change when the PC boots?

LOL. You guys don't read very well. The components are plugged into the BACK of the computer. Wired. I HAVE unplugged and plugged several times.

I have a USB mouse that works just fine. I have not tried another mouse and keyboard yet. I will try what Jesse said in a little while and report back.

Possible solution....

Beating_Screen.gif
or
Computer_Out_Window.gif
before...
Computer_Retaliates.gif

:D

There are USB and DIN ports on the back of computers. That really did not tell us anything.

Well, I guess this is a bad on my part, but since I said

Additional information. I have a wireless USB mouse that I use with my laptop. IT works fine. Maybe the easy solution is to get a USB keyboard?

I assumed that it was clear that the mouse that DID work was USB and the mouse and keyboard that did not work, was NOT. :yes:

The keyboard controller may be burned out. But do what Jesse suggested first before assuming that to be the case. If the keyboard functions properly in BIOS and the CAP LOCK and NUM LOCK lights do what they're supposed to, then probably it's a Windows issue. If not, then most likely the keyboard controller is shot.

If that is the case, your options are to use a USB mouse and keyboard, or to add an aftermarket I/O card.

There's also the possibility of a bent pin or something along those lines, but it it would probably cause an error on boot if that were the case.

Rich

No and No.

Well, then I'd put my money on the keyboard controller.

The keyboard controller (which also controls the mouse) used to be a separate chip (I think it was called an 8042 chip or something like that, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now). But these days the keyboard controller is often integrated into the I/O controller on the chipset.

That sounds pretty scary because, of course, a bad chipset basically makes the machine unusable. But I often come across machines with failed integrated keyboard controllers that nonetheless work just fine otherwise.

So if the machine is running properly otherwise, I'd say switch to a USB mouse and keyboard, be scrupulous about backups, and monitor the machine closely for a while. If everything else continues to work properly, then probably no further action is needed. But if you start getting weird I/O errors, lockups, freezes, BSODs, filesystem corruption, or other evidence of a possible I/O problem not isolated to the keyboard controller, then it may be time to start looking for a new PC (or at least a replacement mobo).

Rich

Last edited:
Well, then I'd put my money on the keyboard controller.

Well, I got an adapter that allowed me to connect my current keyboard and mouse into a USB port and all is well. So far. I guess it WAS the keyboard controller.

Then you'll need a motherboard replacement if you want to go back to your non USB KB and mouse.

Then you'll need a motherboard replacement if you want to go back to your non USB KB and mouse.

Or just keep using the adapter, and monitor the machine for other problems. If the keyboard controller is integrated into the chipset, it's possible (though by no means certain, nor even especially likely) that some other I/O functions might also be affected.

Rich

Or just keep using the adapter, and monitor the machine for other problems. If the keyboard controller is integrated into the chipset, it's possible (though by no means certain, nor even especially likely) that some other I/O functions might also be affected.

Rich
My concern is that if any single part of the motherboard fails, that further degradation is possible or even likely.

Additionally, if he needs to do any CMOS work, the USB adapter may not allow it - the MoBo may not register the keyboard if its USB based.

My concern is that if any single part of the motherboard fails, that further degradation is possible or even likely.

Additionally, if he needs to do any CMOS work, the USB adapter may not allow it - the MoBo may not register the keyboard if its USB based.

Fair enough. My opinion is based solely on my own experience. I've come across dozens of cases where the integrated keyboard controller fails, but there are no other apparent I/O problems.

If there's any sign of any other problems at all, I'd say replace the mobo (or the machine). If not, well, then I suppose it's a crap shoot.

Rich

Why do they even still use PS2 connections? I still see computers sold with that being the keyboard and/or mouse connection type. Hasn't USB become the standard by now?

Why do they even still use PS2 connections? I still see computers sold with that being the keyboard and/or mouse connection type. Hasn't USB become the standard by now?

There are cases where you still need the keyboard port.

I have a mini KVM switch that has USB for the keyboard and mouse on one side and PS2 connectors on the other.

Some laptops have only one port of each, although there are splitters for the PS2 port so can connect mouse and keyboard to it.

Last edited:
First, how do you know it's a PS/2 connector, and not the older style?:dunno: Second, I don't think he said how old the computer is. Heck, maybe it's an original AT!:hairraise: Actually, we know it's not, since it's got USB ports, but still! :)

First, how do you know it's a PS/2 connector, and not the older style?:dunno: Second, I don't think he said how old the computer is. Heck, maybe it's an original AT!:hairraise: Actually, we know it's not, since it's got USB ports, but still! :)
Oh hush... you know what I was getting at. :p

Back