Mountain flying virgin!

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
My "Mountain Flying Bible - Revised" arrived today. On Sunday (weather permitting), I will fly a C172 from Carson City, Nevada to Chicago. The weather looks dodgy over Cheyenne. Perhaps it will improve by Sunday.
My first flight plan for the VFR trip looks like:
CXP-ELY-OCS-CYS
Then an overnight stop. Day Two:
CYS-JYR (York, Nebraska)-IKV (Ankeny, IA)-Chicago
If the weather looks bad that way come Saturday night, I will plan on going south over Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Gallup and ABQ. Overnight. Then ABQ, Amarillo (or Gastons), Tulsa to Rolla, MO. Overnight. Then SPI, Chicago.
Other airports that you would recommend?
ApacheBob

Are you going for fun?

IIRC the first half of my route to Oshkosh is basically KRNO-BAM-KSLC-KLBF with only minor deviations for Restricted airspace and/or a few hills to go around.

There was minimal 'mountain' flying along that route.

Thanks, Chris!
I postponed the trip until next weekend due to the weather.
I hope to use your suggested route. If the weather is better by ABQ, I may try to buzz by Gastons.:blueplane:

I thought you said you were going to fly in some mountains! :dunno:

Skirting way North or South of a few hills and it becomes mtn flying? :p

Actually the Sierra's can create some interesting scenarios. For example some of the greatest mountain wave in the US is just South of Carson City in the Minden/Gardnerville area. (Tony will attest to that)

And the North/South bands of mtns which occur about every 40 miles or so all the way across Nevada have some pretty tall peaks. Wheeler Peak (just over 13000), the 2nd highest peak in Nev, is not far SW of Ely.

With good advice and diligent study, there are certainly easier routes through most mtns, requiring less performance and therefore are less risky to the novice mtn flyer.

So enjoy the scenery! It's fantastic!

Mountain flying's easy, just fly the plane like you know you should. The biggest secret: Don't cross the mountains or hills at 90 degrees. Always leave an out.

If you come by the 'burque, lemme know, maybe I'll get ya some lunch or something.

Mountain flying's easy, just fly the plane like you know you should. The biggest secret: Don't cross the mountains or hills at 90 degrees. Always leave an out.
And don't fly in the heat of the afternoon!

if you go north you should stop in ames instead of ankeny, thats my home base. if you are going to be there before Wednesday ill be around. otherwise go to Gastons!

I just heard that the aircraft is down for maintenance for a few more days. This may work out perfect for Gastons.:fcross:
But, again, it depends on the wx.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Mountain flying's easy, just fly the plane like you know you should. .
Yes, but...

There are considerations in mountain flying and high density altitude flying that flatlanders don't consider. If they've been taught the applicable principles, it was strictly in an academic sense. Even those taught at high density altitudes don't necessarily get exposure to some mountain issues until after primary training.

I don't know if you were trained around ABQ, but my perspective is based on getting my initial training at a small airport in New England (ele 123 msl). While the the differences are not exactly the subject of a full year college course, some high density altitude and mountain training is an extremely good idea.

Unfortunately, we know that the mountains of Colorado are littered with aircraft (not to mention the simple high d-alt accidents on the plains) - chances are a good number of them thought "Mountain flying's easy, just fly the plane like you know you should. ." Problem was that they didn't have a basis for knowing what they should.

--Snip--
If you come by the 'burque, lemme know, maybe I'll get ya some lunch or something.

so that's what you guys call it. I have a customer in ABQ, and when I visited last, us out-of-towners started calling it the "Querque" (Pronounced "Kerky").

Oh...and I know nothing of mountain flying (had to attempt to stay on topic). Sorry.

Yes, but...

There are considerations in mountain flying and high density altitude flying that flatlanders don't consider. If they've been taught the applicable principles, it was strictly in an academic sense. Even those taught at high density altitudes don't necessarily get exposure to some mountain issues until after primary training.

I don't know if you were trained around ABQ, but my perspective is based on getting my initial training at a small airport in New England (ele 123 msl). While the the differences are not exactly the subject of a full year college course, some high density altitude and mountain training is an extremely good idea.

Unfortunately, we know that the mountains of Colorado are littered with aircraft (not to mention the simple high d-alt accidents on the plains) - chances are a good number of them thought "Mountain flying's easy, just fly the plane like you know you should. ." Problem was that they didn't have a basis for knowing what they should.

Well, that is true. I started training in New England (KASH, actually), and finished in Albuquerque, so there's a good chance that maybe I assumed its part of every primary syllabus.

Basically, ALWAYS check DA for takeoff and landings, make sure you can outclimb hills WAY before you have to outclimb them. Unless you know the area, avoid flying through mountain passes where you can't see the other side, and never cross a mountain at 90 degrees. Those are the biggest pointers I can give out.

Also - when you're at 10,500 ft, you may only be at about 500-800 AGL at times. Remember, no matter how close the ground is, your plane still flies the same as it does at 10,500 ft back home. Sluggish at times, and not very happy to climb.

Mountain flying can be VERY challenging. Even experienced mountain flying experts can have issues, just ask Sparky Imeson. Do not take flying in or around mountains lightly. The Colorado Pilots Assoc. offers and excellent mountain flying course that I have taken. It includes both classroom and flight training.

http://www.coloradopilots.org/content_mtnfly_class.asp?menuID=24~24

I may sign up for one of these classes! Most likely the second one, but perhaps the first. Is this at the bottom of the APA tower (the same place CAP meets)? Looks like a good syllabus - hopefully I'm able to get to one of these classes.

Yes, the classroom portion is given at APA tower.

The trip was cancelled. But I am still reading my book. You never know when another opportunity may come along.:)
ApacheBob

Back