Mountain Flying Training near Denver

Paul, it was very cool meeting you. Your landing at SBS looked good from the ramp! Your timing was impecable for the aspens turning. Here is a picture I took that same morning on a flight from Durango to Steamboat.

P9300304.jpg

Tony,
Great photo! Friday spoiled me--I don't think it can get much better than that. Hopefully I'll see you around.

Most of their CFIs are doing the "round the mountain" into GWS, so it kind'a breaks the "medium canyon" airport thought and makes it a touch harder... you go from super-easy at 20V to "don't hit the wingtip into the mountain, make a right, and there's the runway" at KGWS now... ;)

But the idea was good when most folks went down-valley over the town to get into GWS. With the complaints of noise from the town, it's probably better to go around and make the right-base behind the hill.

Folks do still go both ways though, as you've pointed out.
What I've tended to do is to come in over the town so the pilot can see some of the real-world "choices" in the case of a need for a go-around but then extend the downwind far enough to show the blind approach, but in the context of better knowledge of the terrain.

Edit: btw, since we're talking mountains, this was from our return trip from KAEG yesterday - the east side of Mosca Pass.

Attachments

• Mosca.jpg
    Mosca.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
When it's nice we fly the mountain passes in Alaska, beautiful.

If you guys keep posting pics I'm gonna dig out my video of flying the complete route around Mt. McKinley (Denali) and landing on the glacier. It was the most awesome thing I've ever seen/done. I was right seat in a turbine otter.

I like the pics!

If you guys keep posting pics I'm gonna dig out my video of flying the complete route around Mt. McKinley (Denali) and landing on the glacier. It was the most awesome thing I've ever seen/done. I was right seat in a turbine otter.

I like the pics!

Please dig out the video anyways. Sounds cool.

I like the pics!
Really - put it on youtube and post it.

Back