Mountain Flying in a PA32-300

FlyingMonkey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingMonkey
I used to own a PA28-180 and took a mountain flying course in that airplane. Learned a lot about flying on the sides of canyons, crossing ridges, mountain airport ops (high DA), etc. Developed some rules of thumb like not mountain flying when winds at peaks are over 20-25 knots.

Now moving in to a PA32-300. More horsepower and better climb performance even when loaded at same altitudes as the 180. I was wondering if anyone has any general rules of thumb for mountain flying in this type of plane. I realize It is less nimble/maneuverable. Should I be equally concerned about my winds at the peak rule or am I better off in the Six because of the improved climb performance and somewhat better ability to out climb downdrafts?

I'm hoping to make some trips to Mammoth and Tahoe.

If you want to be less concerned about winds at the peaks and through the passes then carry oxygen and fly higher.

Take the mountain course again, in the PA32! :)

At the very least, go out and climb up to the altitudes you'll need for your missions, and find your speeds/power settings up there, and see what kind of climb rate you can expect.

Should I be equally concerned about my winds at the peak rule or am I better off in the Six because of the improved climb performance and somewhat better ability to out climb downdrafts?

Yes, maintain the same level of concern. Of course if it's just you flying in your PA32 you're going to have more performance than a PA28, but will it really be enough if you're in that downdraft? The idea is to not get into the situation in the first place...

A lot of Cherokee sixes flying up in alaska, into and out of improved facilities, and I think even a few of the tamer bush strips. So, it must do OK. I'd say all the same rules apply. Don't think a bigger airplane, or more horsepower is gonna do anything for you in this case accept carry more load and burn more gas.

The rules don’t change. Just figure out how it performs and go from there. The winds and weather and performance issues are still sometimes greater than a light aircraft can do anything about.

Biggest difference in anything with a higher stall speed is in any sort of emergency course reversal you’re going to take up more space because of higher ground speed.

That’s probably the only thing I can think of to caution you about. Some canyons, the faster you’re going, they become truly impossible to turn around in.

Something to keep in mind for your choices about always having a way out.

As someone said, sometimes the better option is to be higher than the peaks if the airplane will do it.

The turn radius thing gets important when you have to descend down into a canyon to get to the airport.

You may want to set a no-go-below altitude in the downward direction if things are squirrelly to give yourself a different out... going back up.

Back