Mountain Air Country Club

mountain hopper

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mountain Hopper
[font=arial,arial]Have any of your readers ever flown into Mountain Air (2NCO)? Located among the Blue Ridge Mountains, with elevations reaching 4919 ft., Mountain Air is a unique and special place. The 2875 ft. paved private runway, at nearly 4,400 ft elevation offers one of the most thrilling and beautiful approaches east of the Rockies.

Once you've parked your plane, it's a short walk to the clubhouse, pool, three restaurants and golf course. The poolside restaurant, Orville and Wilburs offers great food in a relaxed atmosphere and terrific views of the surrounding peaks, including Mt. Mitchell, the highest point in the Eastern U.S.

We first visited a little over a year ago and fell in love with the place. We just purchased a Condo up top and are looking to rent it out to other aviators who love the mountains as much as we do.

As our guest, you can choose from among the many activities that this exclusive mountaintop community has to offer:

- 18-hole championship golf course, designed by longtime Pete Dye associate, Scott Pool*
- Slickrock Village Green, Falling Leaf Lodge and an award-winning clubhouse that accommodates two dining rooms
- Soft surface tennis courts with professional instructors on staff
- Chautauqua Activity and Fitness center with daily planned family activities, kid friendly programs, full service fitness and spa facilities
- Hiking and camping areas
- Select mountain biking trails
- Heated pool with Orville & Wilbur's poolside restaurant
- Golf Learning and Performance Center
- Golf pro shop
- Game room and movie theatre
- Organic community garden
- Outdoor guide and gear retail store
- Bell tower with performance stage and amphitheatre
- Authentic Mountain Market

To learn more, check out their website, www.mountainaircc.com. For stayover details, call Carolina Mornings at 800-770-9055.

Good flying !
[/font]

mountain hopper said:
[font=arial,arial]Have any of your readers ever flown into Mountain Air (2NCO)? Located among the Blue Ridge Mountains, with elevations reaching 4919 ft., Mountain Air is a unique and special place. The 2875 ft. paved private runway, at nearly 4,400 ft elevation offers one of the most thrilling and beautiful approaches east of the Rockies.

Once you've parked your plane, it's a short walk to the clubhouse, pool, three restaurants and golf course. The poolside restaurant, Orville and Wilburs offers great food in a relaxed atmosphere and terrific views of the surrounding peaks, including Mt. Mitchell, the highest point in the Eastern U.S.

We first visited a little over a year ago and fell in love with the place. We just purchased a Condo up top and are looking to rent it out to other aviators who love the mountains as much as we do.

As our guest, you can choose from among the many activities that this exclusive mountaintop community has to offer:

- 18-hole championship golf course, designed by longtime Pete Dye associate, Scott Pool*
- Slickrock Village Green, Falling Leaf Lodge and an award-winning clubhouse that accommodates two dining rooms
- Soft surface tennis courts with professional instructors on staff
- Chautauqua Activity and Fitness center with daily planned family activities, kid friendly programs, full service fitness and spa facilities
- Hiking and camping areas
- Select mountain biking trails
- Heated pool with Orville & Wilbur's poolside restaurant
- Golf Learning and Performance Center
- Golf pro shop
- Game room and movie theatre
- Organic community garden
- Outdoor guide and gear retail store
- Bell tower with performance stage and amphitheatre
- Authentic Mountain Market

To learn more, check out their website, www.mountainaircc.com. For stayover details, call Carolina Mornings at 800-770-9055.

Good flying !
[/font]

I can vouch for the golf course in this "AD" A VERY nice course. Cannot
comment on the other amenities, for we were there only to play golf.

cherokeeflyboy said:
I can vouch for the golf course in this "AD" A VERY nice course. Cannot
comment on the other amenities, for we were there only to play golf.

At least this person, who created an account to post this "ad", put it in the correct forum. I can't complain, since they did that. Would love to know the rental rate, if anybody finds out. I love the Blue Ridge Parkway area....

Troy Whistman said:
At least this person, who created an account to post this "ad", put it in the correct forum. I can't complain, since they did that. Would love to know the rental rate, if anybody finds out. I love the Blue Ridge Parkway area....

Well, actually, it had to be moved here...

I wanted to fly in and look around while I was over that way last summer. Called and they were going to send a package of information that I needed to land there. Never came. Not very professional. Too bad.

Hey guys. I posted the original ad concerning Mountain Air Country Club. Someone asked about the rate, and I wanted to let you know that it is $200 per night or $1,200 per week. Given that we are now moving out of peak season (although it is still beautiful up there), I will be open to offers or negotiations. If you are interested in seeing more about my place in particular, go to findrentals.com and click on North Carolina and then you will see Mountain Air near the top. Feel free to send me a note at mountainaircc@hotmail.com with any other questions. Thanks.

I've been there (altho not by plane, yet) it's beautiful. We watched planes come in and land. Not for the timid, the runway drops off in both directions. The good news is you land up-hill. I'm thinking if a PC-12 can do it, so can I in a T206H.

check out http://www.mtnair.org/Lists/System Status/AllItems.htm and the camera links. Also, www.mountainaircc.com has good info about the property.

Last edited:
those cams are cool!! you can pan and tilt them.

On November 26th, they will be decorating the Falling Leaf Lodge and surrounding Village Green for the Holidays. They do a really nice job with a wide variety of lights and Christmas decorations. It's a nice place to visit in the weeks before Christmas. A full schedule of events is available via the Slickrock News, which can be seen from the Pilot's Association website, http://www.mtnair.org/Lists/System%2...s/AllItems.htm

Thought you might want to see some pictures of the runway and village.

Additional photos are available on their Website, www.mountainaircc.com.

For stayover details, feel free to contact Shari at 800-770-9055 or reply to this post.

Thanks.

Feel free to jump in to some of our other discussions here on POA. I think if you became a halfway acting member your post of your place may be better received. Just my $.02.

We were just up at Mountain Air last weekend. They went all out decorating the lodge and clubhouse area (a.k.a. Slickrock Village) for the Holidays. Snow already as well. I have attached some pix for you to view.

Anyone interested in skiing will be interested to know that Wolf Laurel is just 30 minutes northwest, Beech Mountin is about 45 mins northeast, with Sugar Mountain about 20 minutes beyond and Maggie Valley is about an hour to the Southwest. Also, Biltmore in Asheville is only 35 mins and beautifully decorated this time of year.

Of course, if you fly in, you will need a car, but the concierge at Falling Leaf Lodge can help you with rentals. Call Shari at 800-770-9055 if you want more details, or check out the listing at www.carolinamornings.com.

mountain hopper said:
We were just up at Mountain Air last weekend. They went all out decorating the lodge and clubhouse area (a.k.a. Slickrock Village) for the Holidays. Snow already as well. I have attached some pix for you to view.

Anyone interested in skiing will be interested to know that Wolf Laurel is just 30 minutes northwest, Beech Mountin is about 45 mins northeast, with Sugar Mountain about 20 minutes beyond and Maggie Valley is about an hour to the Southwest. Also, Biltmore in Asheville is only 35 mins and beautifully decorated this time of year.

Of course, if you fly in, you will need a car, but the concierge at Falling Leaf Lodge can help you with rentals. Call Shari at 800-770-9055 if you want more details, or check out the listing at www.carolinamornings.com.

She'll be giving us the Pilots of America promotional discount, I presume?

We were up there for the New Year's celebration this week and it was great. Played golf in 60 degree sunshine, skied and enjoyed the fitness center and spa. Speaking of New Year, 2006 is the Year of The Dog on the Chinese calendar, so join us on Sunday, January 29 for a taste of the Orient. Enjoy some traditional Chinese favorites from 6-9 PM to mark the New Year. Come early on Saturday to play golf; Lost Chimney's practice facility is open with heated driving range bays and the green fees are seasonally reduced. Get a facial or massage at Spa Chataqua. Shop and visit the Biltmore in historic Asheville. Or ski at Wolf Laurel, Sugar or Beech Mountain. The concierge at Falling Leaf Lodge will be happy to assist with car rental information. Call Shari at 800-770-9055 for stayover details.

I like how this person doesnt respond to anyone's comments. Nice canned statements that way they dont have to remember what site they are posting on. It's pretty funny. We could actually cuss them out or talk about their momma and they wouldnt say anything. :)

Brent Bradford

I agree brent. Totall Ad. You should charge him chuck!

From what I can see, he's staying inside the RoC for now (although he needed a push to get there). Yes, it's an obvious advertisement.

I think it's kind of silly how he tries to make it seem like he's a customer with some of his posts, though.

No one likes Mountain Air. It smells funny and they never clean their bathrooms.

:D

See if that gets a response.

GoodGone3_animation.gif

:goofy:

he/she's not trying to pretend he's someone else. the one way conversation is kind of a turn-off though.

mmilano said:
he/she's not trying to pretend he's someone else. the one way conversation is kind of a turn-off though.
The last post started out "We were up there...", implying that he was visiting and not necessarily a stakeholder. A few other posts have had similar wording.

in the first post also:
that makes sense, no?

Hey guys, some of the recent posts need a response.

First, please understand that the reason I started this thread was to spark some interest and dialogue about Mountain Air. It really is a neat place for pilots to visit, with mile long views from the runway, including Mt. Mitchell - the highest points in the eastern US, one of most spectacular approaches I have ever seen, and great atmosphere. I appreciate the favorable comments by KD and JDW who have visited there as well. Sure, there are other great fly-in residential and country club destinations, but I think Mountain Air ranks among the best.

Second, I recognize that my initial posts were infomercial-like. Probably a mistake; though, well within the RofC, given this thread's positition in the Classifieds. I'll continue to post news and stories about Mountain Air as long as there appears to be interest and invite others to do the same.

Thanks for reading.

Then give us some details pilots would be interested in. What's it take to fly in? Do we need to call ahead to land? Is there a way to fly in, tie down for overnight, stay overnight somewhere and leave the next day? How far would the nearest hotel be? Is there a way to get to the hotel w/o renting a car? Can you rent a car at Mountain Air? Since there's no approaches, how many days per year can you get in visual with winds reasonable enough to land (Mooney POH max. demonstrated xwind 11 kts :eek: )? Is 100LL always available?

I'm sure others could add reasonable questions to my list.

I'd actually be interested in visiting and probably fit your profile pretty well. But if you're going to use this forum for marketing, then you need to cover more than the pretty scenery.

mountain hopper said:
Thought you might want to see some pictures of the runway and village.

Additional photos are available on their Website, www.mountainaircc.com.

For stayover details, feel free to contact Shari at 800-770-9055 or reply to this post.

Thanks.

Could you please make those 2 PIX enlargeable like the others ?

I picked this place out on my own to fly to quite a few years back as obviously for the east coast, it is quite spectacular. We made a flight first in the other direction to First Flight at KittyHawk but then after leaving from Charlotte, got turned back by that delightful hot, humid haze that's so common. IOW:

The flatlands were flyable out to the coast even in the haze but a no go when one reached the low foothills if headed west. I wasn't IR at the time and don't remember if it had an approach. I'll return sometime to land if able, after that, who knows ?

Last edited:
OK Lance. Here are the answers to your questions.

First, you do need to call ahead, since it is a private runway; landing permission is quite liberal. The FAA airport ID is 2NC0, with additional information available at www.airnav.com.

In addition, they have webcam's setup on the runway to check weather and conditions.
(see http://www.mtnair.org/Lists/System%2...s/AllItems.htm).

The runway is at 4,432 ft elevation and they recommend you wait for 10 mi. visibility. VFR only. Plan to land no later than 1500 local time.

You can fly in, tie down for overnight, stay overnight at either ther Falling Leaf Lodge or one of the rentals and then leave the next day if you wish. Because the golf pro shop is a short walk from the runway, most guests simply use golf carts to get around. The club restaurant is a short walk from the runway.

The concierge at Falling Leaf Lodge (also a short walk) can provide you with details on local car rentals. If you elect to rent a car, you can stay in Burnsville, approx. six miles from the base of the mountain or Asheville, approx. 35 minutes to the Southwest.

For more information, you can call Mountain Air Country Club at 800-247-7791 or check out their website at www.mountainaircc.com. You can also see our rental at www.findrentals.com, Listing #13197.

Hope this is helpful.

Very helpful, thanks. I will look for an opportunity to make this trip. I'm just nervous I'll like what I see. Yikes.

***WINTER SKI SPECIAL: PLEASE CALL 1-800-770-9055 TO INQUIRE: We are offering a 3 night, 2 day ski package for two, that includes weekend lift tickets to EITHER Wolf Laurel and/or Sugar Mountain for a combined price of $645. You could ski at EACH destination on consecutive days if you wish. The promotion could be extended to four for an additional $160. You could either drive or fly in and rent a car, with assistance from the concierge at the Falling Leaf Lodge. Also, be sure to check out our listing at findrentals.com. Thanks.

Dance the night away and go back through the decades to the days of the famous Supper Clubs. Listen to their band recount the classics, Gershwin, Les Brown, Benny Goodman and more, plus popular dance tunes from today. The cost, $45 includes dinner, entertainment and a parting gift. Make your reservations by calling 828-682-5600, ext. 10. In addition, the club golf course fees are seasonally reduced. Get a facial or massage at Spa Chataqua. Shop and visit the Biltmore in historic Asheville. Or ski at Wolf Laurel, Sugar or Beech Mountain. The concierge at Falling Leaf Lodge will be happy to assist with car rental information. Contact: Shari 800-770-9055,

Lance F said:
Very helpful, thanks. I will look for an opportunity to make this trip. I'm just nervous I'll like what I see. Yikes.

You will love the Mountain. The staff there will make you feel right at home, if not better. Stay at the Lodge if they have room. Take all the tours.

KAVL is a great alternate and a short drive from there to Mountain Air. I've used Millionair at KAVL. Good people, great service.

St. Patrick's Day Weekend - Join the folks at Mountain Air Country Club in celebrating this festive Holiday. On Friday, 6-8PM Chef Gregory will be on hand to prepare your favorite dishes from corned beef and cabbage to traditional Colcannon Potatoes. Irish sounds and spriits will be featured aplenty all evening long. On Saturday, 1PM kids are welcome to come on a complimentary Shamrock Hunt for treasure at the Chautauqua Activity Room. Come early on Thursday, 10AM for the Mountain Air Cooking School. Members and member guests welcome. For reservations and stayover details, call Shari at (800) 770-9055.

Another option is to visit Ashe County. It is located near Mountain Air in the North West corner of North Carolina near Virginia and Tennessee. The local airport is GEV and it has good approaches and a long runway (4200 feet). Lots of cabins and cottages to rent in the area, plus rental cars are available from the local car dealerships (they will drop off and pick up for you).

Lots to do and very nice scenery.

http://www.ashechamber.com/calendar.html

I have to agree with NCPilot. I live 15min. from Ashe Co.(by car), and it's absolutely beautiful over there. It can be far enough from civilization to be secluded, but close enough to several towns to find anything you need. Ashe Co. is becoming a "bedroom community" for Watauga Co. and Boone so they have completed a 4-lane almost all the way there. If I had some extra money, that's where I'd buy property.
Bill

Great feedback on Ashe County. Another great destination close by Mountain Air. Thanks for your input.

I agree with NC Pilot and Bill M. - Ashe County is pretty neat - there's a great Japanese restaurant and another restaurant that I'm really wanting to try out . . .

Hmm - seems a better St. Patty's day would be to stay grounded for a night and the following 8 hours.

Maybe that's just me?

Should I mention that I'm very Irish?

Fly in and join the folks at Mountain Air Country Club in celebrating Easter atop beautiful Slickrock Mountain. On Saturday, bring the kids to Village Green for a traditional Easter Egg Hunt. For kids of all ages, there's an Easter Basket Workshop and Egg Identification and Dye Workshop At the Chautaqua Activity Center. Don't miss the afternoon Bunny Buffet and end your day with a guided twilight birding excursion. Rise early Sunday morning to the Sunrise Service at Hawk's Ledge Park and then enjoy the Easter Grand Buffet. You can work off your meal at the fitness center or simply relax in the Spa and hot tub. For guest stayover details, call Shari at (800) 770-9055.

Attachments

• Runway.jpg
    Runway.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 250
It's time for the spring ephemerals! If you're lucky enough to be at Mountain Air this early in the year, and you're interested in wildflowers, then you are in for a treat! Creekside Cove is beautiful in any season, but in spring it really comes alive. This Saturday at 1PM, come find out what an ephemeral is, and bring along a field guide if you have one. For stayover details, contact Ginger or Shari at 1-800-770-9055.

I see where Mountain Air was recently named by Pinnacle Living as the Best Planned Community in America. This is added to an already long list of awards for mountaintop living. You can see the full list of awards on their website at www.mountainaircc.com.

Back