Mount Washington METAR

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
KMWN 171554Z 23054G74KT 0SM -SN -PL BLSN FZFG VV000 M01/M01 RMK PRESFR VRY LGT ICG

-Skip

Oh my gawd. Sounds like UGH

--Kath

See? I told you it could get worse:

KMWN 171850Z 28097G107KT 0SM BLSN FZFG VV000 M10/M10 RMK VRY LGT ICG

Just slightly below my minimums. :hairraise:

Anthony said:
Just slightly below my minimums. :hairraise:
I was all set to go, Anthony, until the latest METAR showed up:

KMWN 172049Z 280102G116KT 0SM BLSN FZFG VV000 M15/M15 RMK VRY LGT ICG :hairraise:

RotaryWingBob said:
I was all set to go, Anthony, until the latest METAR showed up:

KMWN 172049Z 280102G116KT 0SM BLSN FZFG VV000 M15/M15 RMK VRY LGT ICG :hairraise:

WOW. 102 - 116.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
WOW. 102 - 116.

From www.tuckerman.org

"Mount Washington, the highest summit in the Presidential Range (6,288 feet/1917 meters) and the highest peak in the northeastern United States, has earned itself a fierce reputation. Indeed, Mount Washington has the reputation as the "most dangerous small mountain in the world." Hurricane force winds and sub-freezing temperatures have been recorded for every month of the year. The climate is similar to that found in northern Canada and Alaska. The highest wind speed ever recorded over land was measured from the summit of Mount Washington at 231 mph (371 kmh). Hurricane force winds (> 75 mph/121 kmh) are measured on average of 110 days per year."

Stop%20sign.jpg

RotaryWingBob said:
See? I told you it could get worse:

KMWN 171850Z 28097G107KT 0SM BLSN FZFG VV000 M10/M10 RMK VRY LGT ICG

But you could get in hours of free flying by just tying a rope onto the landing gear with the other end attached to the aproach lights on the other end of the runway.

I live 22 miles downstream,and the house is shaking.I think we are only getting gusts of 60 down here.

Bill Jennings said:
The highest wind speed ever recorded over land was measured from the summit of Mount Washington at 231 mph (371 kmh). Hurricane force winds (> 75 mph/121 kmh) are measured on average of 110 days per year."

So is there a forest of wind generators out there?

lancefisher said:
So is there a forest of wind generators out there?
Dont see any round this part of the country.Not a bad idea though.In the last 5 years i know of 6 hangars tht were fairly well built flattened and planes turned upside down like those hurricane pics you see.

Last edited:
Ghery said:
I've flown planes that would be going backward at full throttle into that wind. :p
I've flown planes (and helicopters) that have gone backwards!

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
But you could get in hours of free flying by just tying a rope onto the landing gear with the other end attached to the aproach lights on the other end of the runway.
No. What a cool idea, Lance. No tach hours, no Hobbs hours, just free flight. I like that!

RotaryWingBob said:
My wife asked me that, Lance. How come not? Lots of wind, for sure :yes:

I have many of these things around my area. They have a maximum wind component that above which they have to feather to prevent damage.

James Dean

RotaryWingBob said:
My wife asked me that, Lance. How come not? Lots of wind, for sure :yes:

Wind generators work best in steadier, more managable lower velocities that won't be causing a lot of breakdowns.

lancefisher said:

Would that be with a treadmill under the wheels? :p

The record for highest wind speed for a hurricane at landfall belongs to Hurricane Camille, which had wind gusts of over 200 mph and an estimated sustained wind speed of 190 mph at landfall.

The reason higher winds weren't recorded then was the anemometer blew off its mounting during one of the gusts...

iflyatiger said:
Thanks for posting the metars it was very interesting..

But what kind of plane do you fly? :)

Back