Motorcycle Radio

If you really want to tour there is nothing, absolutely nothing that rivals a Goldwing.

Yep... wife, dog, and I spent several years traveling the country on our Wing towing a Bushtec trailer. We'd go out and ride for a month, come home for a couple weeks and then go out and ride again for another month, come home, then take off for another month. Our little dog Lacy was the only dog (and still might be to this very day) to receive her own IronButt certificate for a Saddlesore 1000. Notice the license plate on the trailer. Almost everybody who passed us (when I wasn't doing 90 mph) would honk their horn and give us a big thumbs up. :cool:

moab2.jpg

gardengods.jpg

I even made the cover of WingWorld once...

coverbig.jpg

Last edited:
To Ted's original question, I wore earplugs and no radio. You need to protect your hearing with the earplugs and your awareness to protect everything else. Also, a full face helmet is a must.

What a coinky dink. My wife and I just came in from a 3 hour ride on the DL-1000.
I come from a family of Harley owners. Last time I bothered counting we had over 80 of them in the family.
I don't do Harleys. I don't ride them, I don't like them, never have liked them, even when I owned one. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

I like reliable, fast/techno bikes, I ride Suzukis. A DL-1000, VS-1400, GSX1300R (Hayabusa), SV650S are currently parked in the garage.
I race Honda 250cc and 400 cc Thumpers. (Enduro). Those are upstate in the garage.
They all go fast and handle well.
My wife loves the DL-1000 because it's the most comfortable for 2 up. For cruising the main drag and local events she likes the VS-1400. The SV is not comfortable for 2 up, so no dice.
She won't go near the Busa. She wishes I wouldn't go near the Busa. The Busa is overkill in every possible category. The Busa is probably the bike that is going to kill me.
I don't know if the wife is a consideration for you, just something for you to consider.

Just my humble opinion

I like middleweight standards. The last one I had was a 1989 Honda Hawk GT. It was not overly fast, which is fine by me, on a bike I'm aggressively defensive and don't push the limits at all. A bike like that can do it all, I put a Corbin saddle and a plastic windshield on it and set off on a trip: Chicago to Atlanta, by way of Alberta, 5172 miles in 12 days. I had 49,862 miles on it when some fool turned left in front of me, and that was the end of it. I had a concussion, a broken bone in my left arm and a broken bone in my right leg. Three days after that, we found out that daughter #1 was on the way, and that was the end of my riding career. You can only be so defensive, at some point the other guy has to acknowledge your existence. If I were going to get another one, I'd like a Suzuki SV650 with ABS or a Honda CB500F. You don't need a ton of thrust and light and quick is more fun than big and sluggish.

Look at Moto Guzzi- V twin but set in frame the right way. Shaft drives. Italian panache

Back in the 80's, I had a Moto Guzzi V50. Again, not fast, but a wonderful chassis and just enough V twin rumble. I've never ridden a Harley, so I can't really say, but I just can't see myself getting into a machine I can see vibrating across the intersection with a six lane road.

As long as we're talking motorcycles, if you love bikes you have to visit this place: http://www.barbermuseum.org/ It's on the grounds of Barber Motorsports Park, about 16 miles east of KBHM. Their collection of motorcycles is astounding. Bikes made of steel, bikes made of aluminum, bikes made of composites, even a couple made from wood (those are reproductions), including one powered by coal. Go there in the morning, absorb what you can, go have lunch, then go absorb some more. They also have a terrific collection of early Lotus racing cars.

I don't wear earplugs, I just wear the helmet. But I have thought that maybe I should start wearing ear plugs. What sort do you normally go with, just ear buds like what I'm wearing right now (came with my iPhone) or do you go specifically with ones designed for hearing protection purposes?

Oh, regarding the FJR, I agree it's a great bike, I just found the engine had no soul. I wish they made an FJR with the VMax engine. If they did, I would likely buy one in a heartbeat. The VMax had an excellent engine attached to a terrible bike.

But man was it an excellent engine. So good it makes me think about getting another one. :(

Don't care for most of the Harley's, never have.

Me neither. I also never understood why people like to blast the radio when they ride, but to each their own.

I miss my bikes... had a Triumph Bonneville and a Royal Enfield. Good times.

Oh, regarding the FJR, I agree it's a great bike, I just found the engine had no soul. I wish they made an FJR with the VMax engine. If they did, I would likely buy one in a heartbeat. The VMax had an excellent engine attached to a terrible bike.

But man was it an excellent engine. So good it makes me think about getting another one. :(

Agreed. The VMax styling doesn't do much for me, either, as it hasn't really changed since the bike debuted in the 80's. It was also notorious for being range-limited with the fuel tank being so small, especially when feeding an engine that begged to be pushed.

Me neither. I also never understood why people like to blast the radio when they ride, but to each their own.

Eh, as far as music goes, it just depends. It makes more sense to use earbuds for music, but if someone wants a mix of wind noise and cheap speakers pumping tunes, so be it. Sometimes you just want to watch the world go by with nothing but the sound of the bike, sometimes you want a soundtrack to the ride. 6 of one, a couple dozen of the other . . . :)

If you really want to tour there is nothing, absolutely nothing that rivals a Goldwing. The opposed four or six is buttery smooth, the suspension is better than you find in a lot of cages, and the shaft drive will never break. The gas tank is false (and Erik Buell thought he'd invented that! Honda was doing it in the seventies) so the bikes aren't top heavy. And the vast majority were assembled in the United States. They suck for city riding, but nothing ground based does a better job of soaking up the miles.
Well, you could go with a Valkyrie if you don't need the multi-state touring capability. Basically the same bike.

The old saying with Harleys is "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." And there's a lot of truth to it. People are pretty bipolar with Harleys - they either like them or they don't. Those that don't like them don't understand why people who like them do.

For me, I didn't like them until given the opportunity to ride one. I was at a friend's shop and a customer of his came in with... I think it was a Road King but I didn't know the models well enough at the time to remember. This was the summer after getting my first bike, a KZ 700, and so I was a novice rider. I'd been taught by my motorcycle mentor that Harleys suck, and I was never to like them. Anyway, he and I chatted a bit, and when I said I'd never ridden a Harley he said "Go take it around the block!" So I did, and then I got it. I didn't own my first Harley until nearly 10 years later for other reasons, but the switch had been flipped.

Agreed. The VMax styling doesn't do much for me, either, as it hasn't really changed since the bike debuted in the 80's. It was also notorious for being range-limited with the fuel tank being so small, especially when feeding an engine that begged to be pushed.

I like the VMax styling well enough, but you're right that it basically has remained unchanged since its introduction in the 80s. The range limitation wasn't a big deal for me since I never rode it far, my bigger issue was that the thing didn't turn or stop worth a damn. It had one function and that was to have ludicrous acceleration. The comfort was also so-so. But man, that engine was great. I wish my Harley had that much power.

Well, you could go with a Valkyrie if you don't need the multi-state touring capability. Basically the same bike.

Won't disagree with that. Some of the Valkyrie's even come as baggers if you want to tour. Spanky things.

I'm on a Ducati MultiStrada. It's Italian and therefore better and red, therefore faster.

Had one, a 2010 MTS1200, traded it last year on a 1200 GS waterboxer after it started displaying old Ducati syndrom.

As for tunes, I've had three bikes with factory stereo, a 1500 Wing, an R1150RT, and a Street Glide. The HD had the best radio, the BMW the worst, but even then it worked well enough.

Having owned V-twins (both sport bike and cruisers/tourers) and in-line 4-cylinders, I prefer the visceral sensation of the V-twin.

I've owned just about every type, singles, twins, triples, fours, and flat 6. Along the way I've come to realize I'm a twin guy. It doesn't matter if it's a V-twin or flat twin, but I just like the cadence and feel of riding twin cylinder motorcycles. That said, I would like another GoldWing someday, for some reason I have a soft spot for them. I rode my 1500 like a sportbike, spanked squids on it at Deals Gap, and beat on it unmercilessly for four years and about 75kmi, and it just shrugged. I can't count the number of times I banged that thing off the rev limiter.

I don't wear earplugs, I just wear the helmet. But I have thought that maybe I should start wearing ear plugs. What sort do you normally go with, just ear buds like what I'm wearing right now (came with my iPhone) or do you go specifically with ones designed for hearing protection purposes?

I've always worn earplugs, if you just want plain comfortable earplugs with an excellent NRR rating, go with these: http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max

They're well shaped and very comfortable, and you can buy a lifetime box for short money: https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...=1496689991&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+leight+max

When I want tunes I use Etymotic noise blocking earbuds plugged into my Sena SMH-10 bluetooth communicator. Nice thing about the SMH-10 is it does A2DP pairing with the phone, so you get true bluetooth stereo, and the ability to use the control wheel on the Sena to pause or skip tracks. It also has HFP paring, so I pair it to the GPS to get spoken directions. When you have created a nice route of back roads, it's nice to have bitching Betty warn you of an upcoming turn. And, of course, the Sena allows you to pair with up to three other riders, so you can talk on the ride when wanted/needed. I never thought I would like talking to other riders while riding, but I find I quite enjoy it.

As for music itself, I like it on day long trips. I mute it in real twisty sections so I can concentrate on the corners, but like tunes to keep me entertained on the more boring roads.

I've owned just about every type, singles, twins, triples, fours, and flat 6. Along the way I've come to realize I'm a twin guy. It doesn't matter if it's a V-twin or flat twin, but I just like the cadence and feel of riding twin cylinder motorcycles. That said, I would like another GoldWing someday, for some reason I have a soft spot for them. I rode my 1500 like a sportbike, spanked squids on it at Deals Gap, and beat on it unmercilessly for four years and about 75kmi, and it just shrugged. I can't count the number of times I banged that thing off the rev limiter.

I've determined that I like V-twins and V-4s. So I suppose I'm more of a V guy. However I've ridden the BMW opposed twins a little and liked that engine reasonably well, just not enough to form a real opinion on it. But really, the V-twins were overall my favorite.

I've always worn earplugs, if you just want plain comfortable earplugs with an excellent NRR rating, go with these: http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max

They're well shaped and very comfortable, and you can buy a lifetime box for short money: https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...=1496689991&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+leight+max

When I want tunes I use Etymotic noise blocking earbuds plugged into my Sena SMH-10 bluetooth communicator. Nice thing about the SMH-10 is it does A2DP pairing with the phone, so you get true bluetooth stereo, and the ability to use the control wheel on the Sena to pause or skip tracks. It also has HFP paring, so I pair it to the GPS to get spoken directions. When you have created a nice route of back roads, it's nice to have bitching Betty warn you of an upcoming turn. And, of course, the Sena allows you to pair with up to three other riders, so you can talk on the ride when wanted/needed. I never thought I would like talking to other riders while riding, but I find I quite enjoy it.

As for music itself, I like it on day long trips. I mute it in real twisty sections so I can concentrate on the corners, but like tunes to keep me entertained on the more boring roads.

Good input, thanks!

I can appreciate HD for what it is, and they have a few bikes I like the looks of (Street Glide for one). I just can't justify the price with what I'd get in return, compared with the typical Jap-bikes. You can get better reliability, faster acceleration, smoother engine/transmission, and better fuel economy out of the non-HD manufacturers for just about every model HD makes. HD riders tend to have a higher percentage of douchebag owners who don't acknowledge other bikes, or want to ride with every piece of clothing/gear with HD emblazoned on it. Great marketing by HD, but sometimes it just seems to be a bunch of posers pretending to be "hardcore". That being said, I know just as many HD riders who just love bikes in general, so I can't be entirely hypocritical.

I can appreciate HD for what it is, and they have a few bikes I like the looks of (Street Glide for one). I just can't justify the price with what I'd get in return

I had my Street Glide for about two years, it was an interesting bike. I like the looks of HD, and in general, the materials and crafstmanship are first rate. The paint quality and chroming are beautiful. But in the end, it was just to slow, dadgummit, and handled too poorly, goldarnit! It was pretty, but just not for me at the time.

I'm on an R1200GS waterboxer now, and love it. Powerful, relatively fast, near sportbike handling, great suspension,and stretch out comfort. It's a winner for how I like to ride. (hoovering back roads at a pretty good clip)

I can appreciate HD for what it is, and they have a few bikes I like the looks of (Street Glide for one). I just can't justify the price with what I'd get in return, compared with the typical Jap-bikes. You can get better reliability, faster acceleration, smoother engine/transmission, and better fuel economy out of the non-HD manufacturers for just about every model HD makes. HD riders tend to have a higher percentage of douchebag owners who don't acknowledge other bikes, or want to ride with every piece of clothing/gear with HD emblazoned on it. Great marketing by HD, but sometimes it just seems to be a bunch of posers pretending to be "hardcore". That being said, I know just as many HD riders who just love bikes in general, so I can't be entirely hypocritical.

Having been on both sides of the coin (Jap bike rider/owner and Harley) I completely agree on what you get vs. what you spend. Harley does some great marketing to sell their bikes. They're underpowered and don't handle great. But they do offer a riding experience that I would say is unique having ridden a lot of the competition. Note I said unique because that's what it is - I didn't say better or worse, because that's subjective depending on personal preferences. Still, they charge a lot for a product that will overheat in traffic and has many cars that will easily out-accelerate it. That was a lot of why I bought the VTX 1800 when I did. I could get stuck in NYC traffic in summer (which I did have happen more than once) and the coolant temp never budged. Water cooling did its job, a Harley would've been very unhappy. But what I use my Harley for is commuting where the sitting is for short periods of time, so it works for that. Same for long trips my wife and I want to do again one day, provided we don't get stuck in traffic jams.

Douchebag owners, well, there's plenty on both sides. I think it's about 50/50 there. You've got plenty of people on Jap bikes who are rude and incourteous. What I find more than anything is that the ones who are rude will typically be ruder to the "other side" but nicer to "their side". So the jerks on Harleys will be nice to Harley riders, jerks to Jap bikes, and reverse that for the Jap bike owners.

Almost all the riding gear I wear is Harley brand, but I wear it because I like the way it looks, it's comfortable, and it's good quality. Plus their showrooms have a good selection to try on there, usually there's plenty on the clearance rack (like the boots I'm wearing now - a nice high quality leather boot that was on clearance for $75 marked down from $250 list) so you can get some good deals on good gear. One of my friends who owns every motorcycle under the sun wears his Harley gear on his Jap bikes for the same reasons (he also has a late 80s Tour Glide). No doubt, there are posers out there who don't even own a Harley but have all the t-shirts, etc. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't wear my Harley t-shirts given how little I ride anymore (I MIGHT break 1k miles this year... we'll see), but at least I have one and I ride.

I had my Street Glide for about two years, it was an interesting bike. I like the looks of HD, and in general, the materials and crafstmanship are first rate. The paint quality and chroming are beautiful. But in the end, it was just to slow, dadgummit, and handled too poorly, goldarnit! It was pretty, but just not for me at the time.

I'm on an R1200GS waterboxer now, and love it. Powerful, relatively fast, near sportbike handling, great suspension,and stretch out comfort. It's a winner for how I like to ride. (hoovering back roads at a pretty good clip)

My uncle (who happens to be a pilot in the Houston area) has a newer Street Glide. Beautiful bike. However, he's had a string of issues with it since he bought it new a few years ago. It's been in and out of the dealership 2-3 times for abruptly going into "safe/limp mode" for no apparent reason, and a few other times for other quality odds/ends. He thinks they've finally got the safe mode thing fixed, but he's still wary of getting stranded on it far away from the house. I have a few friends with Sportsters and a Vrod who haven't had anything major, but another with a Road King that just got fed up with it and is selling it off. It seems to be kind of hit-n-miss on the quality from my small sample.

Almost all the riding gear I wear is Harley brand, but I wear it because I like the way it looks, it's comfortable, and it's good quality. Plus their showrooms have a good selection to try on there

I sold the Harley in 2010, but Sherry still wears her Harley jacket and pants when we ride, she's sold the rest of the stuff she's accumulated over the years. Harley is the only moto gear maker that truly understands and makes gear specifically styled and fitted for women. She likes how the stuff looks and fits, and it feels good to wear. The other brand gear she tried was just guy stuff sized down a little.

Reactions: Ted
Having been on both sides of the coin (Jap bike rider/owner and Harley) I completely agree on what you get vs. what you spend. Harley does some great marketing to sell their bikes. They're underpowered and don't handle great. But they do offer a riding experience that I would say is unique having ridden a lot of the competition. Note I said unique because that's what it is - I didn't say better or worse, because that's subjective depending on personal preferences. Still, they charge a lot for a product that will overheat in traffic and has many cars that will easily out-accelerate it. That was a lot of why I bought the VTX 1800 when I did. I could get stuck in NYC traffic in summer (which I did have happen more than once) and the coolant temp never budged. Water cooling did its job, a Harley would've been very unhappy. But what I use my Harley for is commuting where the sitting is for short periods of time, so it works for that. Same for long trips my wife and I want to do again one day, provided we don't get stuck in traffic jams.

Douchebag owners, well, there's plenty on both sides. I think it's about 50/50 there. You've got plenty of people on Jap bikes who are rude and incourteous. What I find more than anything is that the ones who are rude will typically be ruder to the "other side" but nicer to "their side". So the jerks on Harleys will be nice to Harley riders, jerks to Jap bikes, and reverse that for the Jap bike owners.

Almost all the riding gear I wear is Harley brand, but I wear it because I like the way it looks, it's comfortable, and it's good quality. Plus their showrooms have a good selection to try on there, usually there's plenty on the clearance rack (like the boots I'm wearing now - a nice high quality leather boot that was on clearance for $75 marked down from $250 list) so you can get some good deals on good gear. One of my friends who owns every motorcycle under the sun wears his Harley gear on his Jap bikes for the same reasons (he also has a late 80s Tour Glide). No doubt, there are posers out there who don't even own a Harley but have all the t-shirts, etc. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't wear my Harley t-shirts given how little I ride anymore (I MIGHT break 1k miles this year... we'll see), but at least I have one and I ride.

Agree 100%. Like I said, I can't be too hypocritical because I've seen it both ways. I do wish more of the HD crowd would wear more riding gear instead of just t-shirts and sunglasses. Part of the culture is wanting to keep that "tough guy" image by not wearing helmets, decent footwear, or a jacket. I'm all for letting them choose their fate, but sometimes I wonder if vanity gets in the way of common sense there.

I sold the Harley in 2010, but Sherry still wears her Harley jacket and pants when we ride, she's sold the rest of the stuff she's accumulated over the years. Harley is the only moto gear maker that truly understands and makes gear specifically styled and fitted for women. She likes how the stuff looks and fits, and it feels good to wear. The other brand gear she tried was just guy stuff sized down a little.
Hey, quality stuff is quality stuff. If she's wearing the gear and it's comfortable, I wouldn't care what label was on it!

Agree 100%. Like I said, I can't be too hypocritical because I've seen it both ways. I do wish more of the HD crowd would wear more riding gear instead of just t-shirts and sunglasses. Part of the culture is wanting to keep that "tough guy" image by not wearing helmets, decent footwear, or a jacket. I'm all for letting them choose their fate, but sometimes I wonder if vanity gets in the way of common sense there.

That I agree with fully. I'm an oddity - I'm riding my Harley with a full face helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, and jeans at a minimum.

In the summer I'll have jeans and a mesh jacket which isn't as safe as my cooler weather gear, but I'm still wearing way more than most other Harley riders. At least here in Kansas most people wear helmets of some sort...

My uncle (who happens to be a pilot in the Houston area) has a newer Street Glide. Beautiful bike. However, he's had a string of issues with it since he bought it new a few years ago. It's been in and out of the dealership 2-3 times for abruptly going into "safe/limp mode" for no apparent reason, and a few other times for other quality odds/ends.

I'll give you that. Stock, some Harleys have ridability issues, rear cylinders that run hot, etc. I put more open (but not obnoxious) pipes on mine and a power commander to tweak the fuel injection. It was faster, more responsive, and ran a lot cooler. Huge improvement, but it sucks that you have to drop another $1500-2000 after buying the bike just to get it to run well.

Agree 100%. Like I said, I can't be too hypocritical because I've seen it both ways. I do wish more of the HD crowd would wear more riding gear instead of just t-shirts and sunglasses.

True, but we all see the squid sportbikers in their shorts, tank tops and flip flops shredding traffic. There's enough idiot to go around no matter what they ride.

True, but we all see the squid sportbikers in their shorts, tank tops and flip flops shredding traffic. There's enough idiot to go around no matter what they ride.

No kidding. I'm reminded of my (female) college roommate who would ride on back of my Bandit 1200 with me. Short shorts, tank top, flip flops no helmet. I had full gear on. It was a funny sight.

I really think you should wear earplugs. If I forget to take my earplugs, I really notice a difference and my head is ringing afterwards just from the wind and road noise. The stock Apple earbuds don't cut it (and won't stay in anyway.) Etymotics makes some good noise blocking earbud speakers. That is what I use.

I really think you should wear earplugs. If I forget to take my earplugs, I really notice a difference and my head is ringing afterwards just from the wind and road noise. The stock Apple earbuds don't cut it (and won't stay in anyway.) Etymotics makes some good noise blocking earbud speakers. That is what I use.

Probably ought to start that. I've never worn earplugs when riding, unless they were ear buds for listening to music.

That I agree with fully. I'm an oddity - I'm riding my Harley with a full face helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, and jeans at a minimum.

In the summer I'll have jeans and a mesh jacket which isn't as safe as my cooler weather gear, but I'm still wearing way more than most other Harley riders. At least here in Kansas most people wear helmets of some sort...
I don't see how anyone rides in the summer with full leathers on, lol. The mesh jackets are great for staying cool/protected when it's 90+.

Depends on the bike you're riding, too. If you've got a good full face helmet and are riding a bike with a full fairing, the wind noise may not be that big of a deal. If you've got an open-face/modular helmet and no windscreen, the ear protection is a necessity.

I don't see how anyone rides in the summer with full leathers on, lol. The mesh jackets are great for staying cool/protected when it's 90+.

In those days I was an "all the gear all the time" guy, even around the block. I've since loosened up on going mesh jacket and jeans in summer, but still wear mesh gloves and a full face helmet.

I don't see how anyone rides in the summer with full leathers on,
You dress for the slide and not for the ride...

Here's what happens in the summer when you don't dress for the ride and unexpectedly go for a slide. Luckily I only walked away with a sore shoulder. Lesson learned! :yesnod:

crash4.jpg

crash5.jpg

crash7.jpg

Edit: Always wear a helmet! As you can see it looks like somebody took an angle grinder to the side of my helmet. That would have been my head. The impact alone would have killed me in an instant.

helmet.jpg

Last edited:

Depends on the bike you're riding, too. If you've got a good full face helmet and are riding a bike with a full fairing, the wind noise may not be that big of a deal. If you've got an open-face/modular helmet and no windscreen, the ear protection is a necessity.

I have yet to ride a bike where the wind noise isn't a big deal at normal highway speeds (which here are 80 mph.) Chugging along at 50, you're right, it's not a big deal.

The old saying with Harleys is "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." And there's a lot of truth to it. People are pretty bipolar with Harleys - they either like them or they don't. Those that don't like them don't understand why people who like them do.

For me, I didn't like them until given the opportunity to ride one...

I come from similar background. Though I'll rephrase your sentence with "I did not care for them until I rode one". I didn't hate them, I wasn't against them, I just didn't have an opinion. And boy did I form one instantly when I saddled one up! :)
Now where's the thumb-up smiley?? :D :thumbsup:

P.S.: No music for me either, I love hearing the engine purr.

I have to say the only bike I've ever ridden that I would not care to get on again was an HD. It vibrated like one of those beds into which you put a quarter (for those of us old enough) which it is apparently supposed to do. Harley enthusiasts call it character. I call it a design flaw. The reason HD riders need earplugs is the deafening noises made by their pathetic contraptions. The forward controls meant that even the slightest flaw in the road got transmitted straight into my tender six, especially since the suspension was apparently made out of cheese, or something else that similarly did not belong in a motorcycle suspension. The only positive I could give it was the damn thing certainly had grunt. Then again, it was a literbike (had a 1200cc engine) and there really wasn't all that much to it. On the other hand the literbike I was riding at the time (my beloved and much-missed 954rr) could outrun, out manuever, and even outlast that sad contraption.

Moreover I really don't feel I should be paying 2017 dollars for something that looks like it was designed in 1944 and uses much of the same technology. And I'll bet cash money that I spend less for my armored and vented gear than the local HD riders pay for their HD branded made in China unanythinged pirate outfits.

My favorite part of all this is if I go to the local bike nights I see Harley after Harley after Harley. Of my bike there is only one. I really do like it that way.

Last edited:
What's funny is everybody always poo-poos HD's. Go try to find one in a motorcycle junkyard. :dunno:

I'm a non-denominational rider. Whatever I'm in the mood for is what I ride. Whether it be a Honda, HD, KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki, or Triumph. I ride and enjoy them all.

Having owned V-twins (both sport bike and cruisers/tourers) and in-line 4-cylinders, I prefer the visceral sensation of the V-twin. The 4-cylinders tend to be more like sewing machines. Very reliable and better from an engineering perspective, but the V-twins are also a nice layout for a motorcycle. I've owned a couple V-4 (Honda Interceptor and Yamaha V-Max) and those were fun engines, although the V-Max had the worst suspension and brakes of any bike I've ever ridden. Scratch that, second worst - the worst was the Yamaha Stratoliner.

If you're going to go V-Twin and not a sportbike, get a Harley. I've owned and ridden Japanese V-twins (owned a VTX 1800, RC51, TL1000, ridden a VStar 650 and a few others). The Japanese V-twin sportbikes are awesome. But the cruisers are lackluster. They just don't feel "right." The Harley has a real V-twin feel and sound, and in my opinion they're much nicer to ride. My VTX 1800 was stupidly top heavy which made low speed handling annoying. This seems common on big Jap bikes. The Harleys have a much lower CG, which is much nicer in my opinion.

Steingar is correct that they don't handle great, so that's worthy of consideration. But unlike the sport bikes that I wasn't happy going under 90 on, the Harleys I'm just as happy going 45 as I am going 85. We've got a Street Glide and an Ultra Classic (wife's is the Street Glide). Both great bikes, love them. Every now and then I think about another sportbike, but really I like the bikes we have. The Ultra Classic is great for riding to work. Room for my backpack and lunch box in the tour pack, room for most normal errands I may run (including small grocery runs), comfy, cruise control, etc. Besides, it's flat here, not like I'm going to have twisties to enjoy.

Now if you want a 4-cylinder bike, there are plenty of great Japanese options, and that's another story for which I have different opinions. :)

Did you ever try a Yamaha Raider? My first bike was a Yamahamma Warrior 1700, which was cool. Kind of a sporty cruiser. Fast as heck. I took it in for some maintenance one time, and while I was waiting, sat on a Raider 1900 in the showroom. My Warrior stayed at the dealership, and the Raider went to my house. It's about the only Japanese cruiser that really felt right to me. I'm not anti-Harley by any means, but the performance of the Yammerhammers I had was hard to beat, and they were smooth. I had buddies that would gloat about the HDs with stage 4 kits and what not, and they couldn't keep up with either of my bone stock Yamahas. Of course that's not what it's all about, but I enjoyed the performance.

As for music, I was always a minimalist kind of biker. I didn't have creature comforts on my bikes. I just liked them to me clean looking, fast, and loud. Though I don't own a bike now while the kiddos are young, I think my next bike will be a full blown bagger like an Ultra Classic, with cruise, stereo, and a big arse fairing so the wife and I can cruise in comfort and crank some tunes.

Last edited:
For the motorcyclists out there...

So, my Harley has a pretty good stereo on it. It's basic by today's standards (AM/FM/CD/aux input), but it's good quality.

... I just have no desire to have any sound but the rumble of the engine anymore.

How about the other riders?

My BMW RT came used, with AM/FM/cassette, and the seller even left his favorite cassette tape in it.

The radio was loud enough, even with ear plugs and a full-face helmet. But I removed the radio and sold it. Like you, I preferred just the sound of the ride.

I rented a Harley Street Glide once, in Albuquerque, and rode it around the nearby mountains for two days. Great experience. I can still smell the junipers. The Harley dealer there rented bikes. A taxi ride from the airport was all it took.

I really think you should wear earplugs.

+2 Ted, even with a full face the noise level is higher than you think, and the damage is cumulative. I saw a study once that showed helmet noise at highway speed is up in the OSHA hearing protection required range. And, our other hobby is hard on the ears as well. I'd go for plugs asap.

You dress for the slide and not for the ride...

OK, bird, fess up. How'd it happen? Any lessons we can learn?

I'm ATGATT, Aerostich Dariens in the winter, Olympia mesh gear in the summer.

Moreover I really don't feel I should be paying 2107 dollars for something that looks like it was designed in 1944 and uses much of the same technology.

Yeah, but that's the appeal. These guys can go into the dealership and buy a brand new '57 Chevy, so to speak.

+2 Ted, even with a full face the noise level is higher than you think, and the damage is cumulative. I saw a study once that showed helmet noise at highway speed is up in the OSHA hearing protection required range. And, our other hobby is hard on the ears as well. I'd go for plugs asap.

I generally figure that one of my daughters is responsible for more hearing loss - oh my that girl can scream.

But, point taken. I'll get some ordered.

I'm ATGATT, Aerostich Dariens in the winter, Olympia mesh gear in the summer.

I wear my mesh jacket, but a friend who's crashed a lot said that jeans end up protecting you about the same as mesh pants. So, I think it would depend on the ride I was doing. I have mesh pants and would wear them if I was a dedicated ride, but if I have to change into jeans (i.e. for work) then I'll wear jeans.

I don't spend much time above 65mph when I ride, so I haven't noticed too much wind noise personally on the fully-faired Stratoliner or Concourse 14 I've tooled around on from time-to-time. I have taken a few spins on a Honda CBR/Gixxer bikes and those are obviously noisy with the wind, but it's to be expected with no windshield/deflectors to speak of.

Yamaha built their own belt system, which is pretty neat. I actually like the big Honda cruisers just a bit better, since ether use shaft drives, and Honda shaft drives neither leak nor break in my experience. Still, I stand by my assertion. Nothing eats miles like a Wing. Nothing.

I've never found wind to be a huge issue, and I've always ridden nakeds/standards, even 65mph+. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. If I'm spending prolonged periods over 50, I like earplugs, otherwise I like to listen to the engine doing its thing.

Also, I wear textile pants with padding, over jeans in 80+ and find it bearable. Haven't heard great things about mesh, obviously leather is the best if you can. Have a variety of jackets and gloves as well depending on the temps.

Back