Motion Sickness

rchamble

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
rschamblee
Im approaching HR number 5 in my lessons and everything is going good, instructor says I am catching on to everything quickly. I feel comfortable with everything except some motion sickness. Doesn't really bother me when flying (although today I had a small amount of queasiness doing some steep turns and looking down) until I get back on the ground and then I start with some headaches and queasiness.. I have started taking BC powder before my flights that have helped with my headaches but still occ get the queasiness. I also do the same thing when riding in the back of a car when I experience motion changes that are out of my control.. Anybody have any helpful tips/hints or will I eventually grow out of this stage?? Straight level flight doesn't bother me its when we start doing maneuvers..

Anybody ever used Scopolamine patches?

The patches are not approved for a medical. The electrical bracelets seem to help and are {not disapproved}.

I have, and always have had, motion sickness issues, and enjoy recreational aerobatics - a lot. I'm sure others will be along, but basically: don't fly on a full or empty stomach, no carbonated drinks or caffeine for a couple of hours before flying, keep your eyes outside the airplane and try to focus on things that will help your brain understand the other sensations it is being fed.

I actually wonder if the BC powder might not hurt your situation.

I've experienced the motion related problems afterwards, but only when riding boats - never airplanes. Dunno what to tell you to help the situation. Dramamine works so maybe take one after you're back on the ground.

I tried the Scop patches, they made me sick, suggest you try them before using them flying. Bonine works for me

Ive only felt sick during unusual attitudes under the hood and during acro. I flew in a AF T-6a a few years ago and we did some crazy things and I was sick for days!!! Literally 3 days I felt like crap. I was told to go to max oxygen and it would help. Nope sure didn't!! But I was told you get used to it.

My buddy has an RV-6a and after a few rolls I start getting that feeling. I think it will be one of those things that the more you do it the more conditioned you will become to it. Not sure what medicine to use but just saying I think you will get used to it over time.

First, relax. Everyone is a bit different when it comes to tolerance for motion sickness.

A lot of people do get over it, or at least develop more tolerance for it.

For some people, the more familar they are with what's going on, the better they can tolerate turbulence and maneuvers.

Being well rested can help

An empty stomach usually isn't a good idea.

Good ventilation can help

Good ventilation,small meal before flying,and short flights untill you get better adjusted.

thanks for all the replies.. Its tolerable, nothing that is making me want to throw my hands up, just aggravating!! Keeping my eyes outside the cockpit has helped a ton, during my 2nd lesson I was 90% focused inside the cockpit and after that lesson I felt like CRAP!!! Im hoping it will eventually pass the more I fly because it def takes some of the fun out of it!!

My advice

1. Eat a small meal before flying.
2. Bring water or drink for during the flight.
3. Well rested
4. You can use the motion sickness bracelets, they help some people.

Besides that, work your way up. You do get used to it. When you finally get to unusual attitudes, you may have some discomfort. Ask you CFI to do those at the end of the flight, and only do a few at a time.

My wife has had motion sickness since she was kid. Riding "shotgun helped". We have found that at least for her it seems to be sensory overload. Too much noise, inner ear movement, odors, seat pressures, headset clamping pressure, etc. All the remedies help a little but nothing eliminates it completely. Aeromedix wrist band helps. Peppermint helps. Straight and level really helps.

additional comment: ginger can help

Keep a water bottle handy and get some good ventilation

Last edited:
Bob Hoover had these problems. You can find youtube video's of him talking about this. He said he would fly level then pull up until he got sick. Every time he flew he would do a little more, before he knew it he was doing loops. He said you get use to it.

Last edited:
300.JPG

I used this when I was a student and it helped me a lot. it is just a ginger pill but was effective.

I had a student who could not fly more than 15 minutes without becoming sick. I recommended that he save his money; however, he continued and got over the sickness with gradually longer flights. He got his certificate and now owns a piper.

Experience is the best cure for pilots.

I had some bouts of nausea during primary training but I found it went away as I gained experience (and confidence). It seemed somehow mental to me. Not in the sense that it is "imagined" - it definitely isn't. But it seemed that there was anxiety that caused a very defined physiological progression. I have read about anxiety as a causal factor in airsickness since then as well.

I had about 10 years where I didn't fly much (and no PIC). In that time I flew with CAP in the right and rear seats. I had huge problems with airsickness. I would just carry a doubled hefty bag folded in my bag (those tiny sic sacs are stupid - I want something I can't miss and can tie in a knot).

In the time with CAP I was able to really pay attention to the onset of my sickness episodes. It started before the flight with my thinking "I hope I don't get sick this time". That was the seed. Once in flight, I was usually fine until we hit the first light chop or light turbulence. That acceleration above and below 1g caused the seed to grow. I noticed it first as tingling in the extremities. Fingers and lips, every time. I think that is the body shunting blood to my core (fear/fight-or-flight response) because of anxiety. And it would get worse and worse and eventually I would get sick.

I didn't fly a lot in those days, however. And never as PIC. Once I got back to flying as PIC my anxiety went away and so did the nausea. Now I can fly along bashing my head on the roof in moderate turb and I'm OK even if my pax aren't (for pax I recommend prescription Scopolamine patches).

I bet it will pass. With each more advanced maneuver and each hour that passes it will get better if you can hang in there.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back