Most cost effective TAA kit

Scott MacKie

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
sbmackie
Hello community,
Is there a resource that will show me the various TAA compliant off the shelf kits available? I understand PFD, MFD, and 2 axis autopilot, but I don't have a handle on screen size requirements, must they come as a suite or can one mix and match more cost effectively, etc.?

Thanks very much.

What aircraft are you intending to install this in?

Great question. Looking for a TAA single for a flight school, and am ignorant of the entry level TAA lanquage and manufacturers

Any points in the right direction appreciated.

Scott

Last edited:
I have seen multiple flying clubs going with a G5, GNX, GFC500 combo.

I don't know if that is the cheapest, but it's the most common budget setup I have seen.

I have seen multiple flying clubs going with a G5, GNX, GFC500 combo.

I don't know if that is the cheapest, but it's the most common budget setup I have seen.
I'm not sure you can justify that a GNX 375 is an "MFD" -- Atleast the GTN's call themselves an MFD, which helps the argument. The GNX does not

I'm not sure you can justify that a GNX 375 is an "MFD" -- Atleast the GTN's call themselves an MFD, which helps the argument. The GNX does not

I mistyped, I intended to put GTN, but (since I never really thought to ask) why would the GTN be an MFD and the GNX not?

Just to clarify, what does the GTN display do that the GNX does not?

I mistyped, I intended to put GTN, but (since I never really thought to ask) why would the GTN be an MFD and the GNX not?

Just to clarify, what does the GTN display do that the GNX does not?
Not much, as far as I know. The GNX is definitely smaller than GTN 6xx, so maybe size is the difference. Garmin advertises the GTN as an MFD, and not the GNX. :confused2:

Not much, as far as I know. The GNX is definitely smaller than GTN 6xx, so maybe size is the difference. Garmin advertises the GTN as an MFD, and not the GNX. :confused2:

The GNX375 screen is barely big enough to make for a good GPS. Cannot imagine trying to use it as an MFD, let alone a PFD. It does make a pretty good data source for an actual PFD, however.

The practical suitability of the device (subjective call) notwithstanding, a GNX 375 certainly meets the requirements of 14 CFR 61.129(j)(2).

Back