More sensible MIP policy

H

HopefulAnonymous

As someone with 2 MIPs, both >10 years ago, I'm hopeful that the aeromedical working group that's likely to be organized as a result of the current FAA reauthorization bill will recommend that aeromedical takes a more sensible policy approach towards MIPs and other minor disorderly offenses like non-vehicle related public alcohol consumption, versus automatically throwing individuals with 2 MIPs into the abuse diagnosis (or into the dependency diagnosis, with corresponding lifetime HIMS time and financial commitments + monitoring, if they've ever consumed alcohol after the "abuse").

Current aeromedical policy that treats these offenses exactly the same as DUIs for the purpose of automatic regulatory abuse diagnosis seems to be incongruent with the spirit and, arguably, the letter of 67.1/2/307(b)(1): "Use of a substance in a situation in which that use was physically hazardous, if there has been at any other time an instance of the use of a substance also in a situation in which that use was physically hazardous." The current FAA interpretation of “alcohol events” – much broader than DUIs/OWIs - ("ANY two is automatic abuse, any use thereafter is dependency") seems like an overly broad interpretation of this language.

To make matters worse, there is significant inconsistency in how each state handles MIPs - some would require a positive response to 18(v), some positive to 18(w), and some are completely unreportable "infractions," so two individuals with the same factual case history could be find themselves somewhere between (1) an unrestricted in-office issuance or (2) a deferral, 12-18+ month wait on the bureaucracy, and lifetime monitoring with massive associated costs and required non-flying time commitments.

Even beyond interpretation of 67.[1/2/3]07, the regs themselves are dated. Current administrative diagnoses of abuse and dependency are 30 years behind modern medicine, as this recent AOPA blog highlights.

It seems like many of the HIMS AMEs, FAA employees, and other stakeholders close to these issues recognize the challenges in the current system. I'm hopeful that we're making slow progress towards a more sensible approach, and would ask that the senior AMEs and other stakeholders who frequent these forums can help influence policy changes for the better.

As someone with 2 MIPs, both >10 years ago, I'm hopeful that the aeromedical working group that's likely to be organized as a result of the current FAA reauthorization bill will recommend that aeromedical takes a more sensible policy approach towards MIPs and other minor disorderly offenses like non-vehicle related public alcohol consumption, versus automatically throwing individuals with 2 MIPs into the abuse diagnosis (or into the dependency diagnosis, with corresponding lifetime HIMS time and financial commitments + monitoring, if they've ever consumed alcohol after the "abuse").
I think many of us share your hope, even if we're squeaky clean ourselves.

It won’t happen because there is no motivation for them to change it. Although it may not feel like it when browsing posts on the internet, you are in a very small minority of pilots who are having to jump through hoops to get a medical. The FAA at some point determined that any arrest involving alcohol makes you unsafe to fly an airplane. They don’t have any reason to go back on that decision and instead they take the stance that it’s on you to prove them otherwise. Being bc a very small minority and having an issue that was completely within your control to prevent it is easier and safer for them to ignore the trouble their policy is causing you than it is for them to stick their necks out, admit they have been wrong for decades and change it.

Hmmm… is a senator’s recommendation pressure? Not being sarcastic….

To wit:

Recommendation 1: The Federal Aviation Administration should revise sections of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), especially 14 CFR Part 67 (Medical Standards and Certification), to align, to the extent reasonable in the aviation setting, with the most current evidence-based diagnostic approaches for substance use disorders that consider illness severity and lead to more personalized treatment.

A ten year old possession charge does not constitute substance abuse or dependence. How long to change FARs? Didn’t take long to change the mandatory retirement age of an ATP. And that didn’t impinge on constitutional rights. This administrative imposition of ad hoc “medical standards”DOES.

Hmmm… is a senator’s recommendation pressure? Not being sarcastic….

To wit:

Recommendation 1: The Federal Aviation Administration should revise sections of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), especially 14 CFR Part 67 (Medical Standards and Certification), to align, to the extent reasonable in the aviation setting, with the most current evidence-based diagnostic approaches for substance use disorders that consider illness severity and lead to more personalized treatment.

A ten year old possession charge does not constitute substance abuse or dependence. How long to change FARs? Didn’t take long to change the mandatory retirement age of an ATP. And that didn’t impinge on constitutional rights. This administrative imposition of ad hoc “medical standards”DOES.
What part of the constitution do you believe is being violated? Last I looked things like flying in federal airspace or driving on public roads were privileges not rights.

Coercion that results in incarceration? That fit? No due process to challenge it? Not following federal law? Got a hunnert more.

Flying is a privilege. Blah blah…. Taking a medical that results in a loss of career based on fraud? That kosher in your world?

How about a loss of medical based on your phones browsing history?

There has NEVER been a part 121 incident where alcoholism was a causal factor. Where is the danger? The FAA boasts 90 percent of the alcoholic pilots are running around unchecked and untreated, yet no incidents or attempts at effective means to identify them.

Meanwhile part 121 pilots WITHOUT substance abuse issues are sent to INPATIENT “treatment” without a release date. I know one who was kept FOR FIVE MONTHS. Actually know several…. While being told it was voluntary but if they left “against medical advice” they would NEVER get a medical again. All which was untrue….

This “flying is a privilege” should not extend that far. But I guess it’s cool, after all, only a tiny fraction affected.

What if you lost your driving license because a hardware store clerk thought your poor parking was due to your drinking problem? Hey… it’s a privilege to drive, so who cares why it’s taken away?

Last edited:
Insane that we even have a 21 drinking age. How many people have BS charges like this because some cop was in a bad mood or decided to use this to go after someone.

Coercion that results in incarceration? That fit? No due process to challenge it? Not following federal law? Got a hunnert more.

Flying is a privilege. Blah blah…. Taking a medical that results in a loss of career based on fraud? That kosher in your world?

How about a loss of medical based on your phones browsing history?

There has NEVER been a part 121 incident where alcoholism was a causal factor. Where is the danger? The FAA boasts 90 percent of the alcoholic pilots are running around unchecked and untreated, yet no incidents or attempts at effective means to identify them.

Meanwhile part 121 pilots WITHOUT substance abuse issues are sent to INPATIENT “treatment” without a release date. I know one who was kept FOR FIVE MONTHS. Actually know several…. While being told it was voluntary but if they left “against medical advice” they would NEVER get a medical again. All which was untrue….

This “flying is a privilege” should not extend that far. But I guess it’s cool, after all, only a tiny fraction affected.

What if you lost your driving license because a hardware store clerk thought your poor parking was due to your drinking problem? Hey… it’s a privilege to drive, so who cares why it’s taken away?
Does showing up drunk for a 121 flight rise to the level of "incident"? Because there have been quite a few of those, including recently.

No, it doesn’t. This is an EASY fix though, blow test EVERY pilot before flying. Brainless, effective, completely legit.

You do know ALL carriers blow test pilots AFTER flying don’t you? In what world does THAT make sense? Except maybe the bean counters who don’t want flights cancelled…. Safety isn’t a factor in any of this.

You do know ALL carriers blow test pilots AFTER flying don’t you?

Can you provide proof of this statement? I did a search but cannot find anywhere that gives this as a requirement for every carrier after every flight. You may be right but I'd like to see an official reference for this requirement ...

Can you provide proof of this statement? I did a search but cannot find anywhere that gives this as a requirement for every carrier after every flight. You may be right but I'd like to see an official reference for this requirement ...
It may or may not be policy for all carriers, but likely isn't. The main reason would be that it will only catch a serious violation; that is, the deed would have been done. Like doing a pre-flight, but only post-flight.

You do know ALL carriers blow test pilots AFTER flying don’t you? In what world does THAT make sense? Except maybe the bean counters who don’t want flights cancelled…. Safety isn’t a factor in any of this.
Not a truth.

Good, because the first four you’ve listed make absolutely no sense. So hit me with the next 96…

I know that at our company, no one is preflight tested. All randoms are at the conclusion of the trip. Other countries do it differently, in one were I worked for a few years, all randoms were done before your trip started.

Back