More new laptop questions

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
The Dell site asks a bunch of difficult questions when modifying their standard models and I have no idea what they are asking or what the various improvements are worth. Can anyone help?

A) gB of memory: the options are 2,3 or 4gB with the price differential for the highest two being 90 and 300 dollars.
B ) CPU speed: the prices for 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4gHz are $130/160/300/575
Can't decide if, for the simple things I do, if these are necessary or not
C) Videocards; 128 or 256? means 100$ diff
D) HD speed would I notice a $100 difference between 5400 and 7200rpm?
E) pre-established HD partitioning??
F) 802.11....n? g? if I chose g, will I be able to upgrade later?
G) Client bios... do I want it enabled or disabled for these features? Auto On, Wireless Access, Legacy USB ports

More memory is better. If you're running Vista remember that it will suck up almost 512 MBytes all by itself. Then you need memory to run your applications.

CPU speed - higher is better if you do computation intensive work. If all you are doing is web browsing, word processing and some light spreadsheet work you probably won't notice the difference. Just make sure it says "Intel" and not that other company. :D

Not sure about the video card.

HD speed? Probably not except when booting the machine. Then nothing is fast enough.

Partitioning can be useful if you set up the machine with the OS in one partition and everything else, especially data, in another. Reloading the OS is much less stressful this way.

802.11g is the current fast standard for 2.4 GHz WiFi. 802.11n hasn't been finalized (IIRC) and you run the risk of whatever they call 802.11n not being the real 802.11n when the standard is finally released by the IEEE.

Not sure about the BIOS settings - I'm sure others will chime in.

Have fun.

For my tidbit of input,

If you're capable of installing memory on your own, I'd suggest minimum and then buy extra memory in the aftermarket. It will be MUCH cheaper.

Most laptops I see are 2.8 or higher. This one is 3.0 and does just fine. In fact, my old eMachine desktop is a 2ghz machine and does fantastic.

Unless you're doing heavy video graphics, the 128Mb should be just fine for a video card. This laptop I'm on has an ATI 9600 128Mb card. It works better than I can expect and it gets used a LOT for a variety of things from financial to graphics. I've worked on a lot of graphics lately for CFI lesson plans. Not a single issue.

For the hard drive, my HP Media Center laptop has a 100Gb/5400RPM drive. I can't even see a lag when I'm playing any recorded video to the laptop screen or an external monitor. The speed is only going to matter if you're loading extremely large files, usually large spreadsheet/financial docs or large graphic files. Save the $100.

Is there a reason you'd need the hard drive partitioned? I can't think of one unless there's desire to lock one partition to easy access.

I'd think g wireless should be fine. n is still so new and just about any network out there will also adapt to g. At home, I don't even use wireless. I've wired up the duplex I rent and locked out the wireless access on the router.

BIOS is still distant to me. I can barely adjust my own machines and don't unless I have to after seeking counsel.

But, why Dell? A friend of mine went through three new Dell laptops before things were settled. This was only a few months ago.

Everything I have is HP except for the old eMachine. I highly recommend HP Business Books. There's a large network of service for them for walk-in service. Do that with Dell. After that, I'd recommend Fujitsu. Just my .02 worth.

A great source I use here in Atlanta. There's also a location in Dallas.
http://www.richardscomputer.com/

Nothing much to add except to say that whether or not the wireless is easily upgradeable after purchase depends on the laptop. Sometimes it's a module, and sometimes it's integrated onto the mobo. Obviously, I prefer upgradeable, modular designs.

Also, although I'm a long-time AMD fan, I don't think a better laptop processors exists than the Intel Core2 Duo series, at a speed appropriate to your needs. They are amazingly fast and stable chips, and I personally don't see a reason to consider any other processor at the moment.

Rich

The wireless choice wont' matter much if your Dell laptop goes like mine, where our professional support said I need to take "NOTWORK" as the final answer. That's why I had to pop in a personally owned PCcard. Kin never win. I don't want to keep track of the thing and worry about it getting broken off.

I don't think you'll see much effect with the hard drive speed going to 7200 RPM.

You're better off putting that money into getting 4GB RAM or a larger hard drive. As advised above, order it with the RAM minimum and go aftermarket to replace it. Get a good name brand of RAM like Samsung, Kingston, Corsair.

If you know what physical RAM configuration and options are, you might say, get a single 2GB RAM chip and add a second aftermarket if possible. Else sell what comes from Dell on eBay. Sometimes the chips must be in pairs so that wont' work. If they put in 2 x 512MB chips, just buy 2 x 2GB and sell those 512s.

Wonderful stuff, thanks.

How about the Client Bios options, enabling or turning on/off those unidentifiable 'things;?

Re: 'is the wireless card upgradable to 802.11n, how is a person to know?' I have little faith in a promise of a salesman.

Dells? mainly I am just trying to find out what each company has to offer first, in the specs I want. Then I will compare the top runners. I am checking HP too.
They brought themselves down a few notches last night when they put me on with an esl salesman who could not understand that I wanted to simply see a photo of their laptop keyboards. No, I don't want to see all the portable keyboards available. Yes, I'm sure there are many different ones available, is there a photo on the website where I can see them? Please stop repeating my replies, just answer me! Even if to say 'No' or 'I don't know'! (still didn't see a photo)

Wonderful stuff, thanks.

How about the Client Bios options, enabling or turning on/off those unidentifiable 'things;?

Re: 'is the wireless card upgradable to 802.11n, how is a person to know?' I have little faith in a promise of a salesman.

Dells? mainly I am just trying to find out what each company has to offer first, in the specs I want. Then I will compare the top runners. I am checking HP too.
They brought themselves down a few notches last night when they put me on with an esl salesman who could not understand that I wanted to simply see a photo of their laptop keyboards. No, I don't want to see all the portable keyboards available. Yes, I'm sure there are many different ones available, is there a photo on the website where I can see them? Please stop repeating my replies, just answer me! Even if to say 'No' or 'I don't know'! (still didn't see a photo)

Imagine how it would be WHEN you have a problem with your Dell.

Dave, do yourself a favor. Carefully enter a Best Buy or Circuit City and look the laptops over. LEAVE YOUR WALLET AT HOME.

See which one has a keyboard you like.

Lenovo or HP are good choices. Maybe others.

Then go home and order the one you like from NewEgg or Microcenter.

Ya, Dell is pretty much out. My wife says calls them DellHell after her experience with them.
That Acer is pretty darned close. Only I am insisting on XP and Intel. Thanks Mike.

PS none of the HPs come with XP.

here is my current wish list:

Must Have:
Windows XP only.
150gB HD or more
2.8gB ram or more.
1.8gHz Intel duocore or better.
CD/DVD writer.
2 2.0 USB ports. Ethernet & phone ports.

Would like:
802.11n or upgradable to that.
Built in Bluetooth.
Word, Excel. Paint.
9cell battery
external volume control (wheel or slider)
Alt key next to arrow keys.
Fan exhaust not on bottom.
2-3yr full warrantee.

Of your examples, you have both 15.4" and 17" displays. What's more important to you, display size or light weight? Mine here is a 17" but weight isn't an issue since I don't lug it around travelling a lot. It's not too huge being mounted in the car nor too bulky when I have carried it on an airliner.

Here's an Atlanta contact who also specializes in custom defined boxes for many business-level computers, including HP and Lenovo. They can be more flexible than directly from HP. http://www.visioncomputers.com/index.asp

This is the closest I see on HP.com for what you're describing. HP used to be a lot more flexible for defining what you want.

Nice find um, Kenny, thanks.
Screen size and weight are no concern to me.
I will investigate Vision.

Last edited:
ooops, sorry. Fixed.
I presume your name is Ken?
I am no good without nametags!
Yep, tis ok. Tom Dager was calling me "Fred" in threads for a while. And, he knows me in person.

Just don't call me late for supper! :)

If you're capable of installing memory on your own, I'd suggest minimum and then buy extra memory in the aftermarket. It will be MUCH cheaper.

True... Just a hint, though: Some will offer, for example, 1 GB standard as 2x512 and give you a fairly low-cost option of 1x1GB instead of 2x512MB. Take that, then you won't have to toss all the RAM they send you, and if you need to send it back for service you can take out your aftermarket RAM and there's still factory RAM in there. Many companies will refuse to work on it if there's only aftermarket RAM.

Also, make sure you've got a good anti-static setup to do the upgrade.

Unless you're doing heavy video graphics, the 128Mb should be just fine for a video card. This laptop I'm on has an ATI 9600 128Mb card. It works better than I can expect and it gets used a LOT for a variety of things from financial to graphics. I've worked on a lot of graphics lately for CFI lesson plans. Not a single issue.

One caveat: See what capability you might be able to gain with the 256 (it may be an entirely different card) and whether it's upgradeable later if you might want said capability. I have seen laptop video card options that can't easily be replaced later on, so if you think you'll ever need the 256, might want to order it now. Probably no biggie for you though.

I'd think g wireless should be fine. n is still so new and just about any network out there will also adapt to g.

Also, what are you going to do through your wireless? Even G is way faster than any internet connection you're going to have in your home or small office, so if you're only using it for internet you don't need anything special.

Where 802.11n comes in is (for us uber-cool Mac users anyway ;) is doing things like streaming HD movies from your computer to your AppleTV box and watching them on your TV. Or, maybe doing a network backup through wireless. High-bandwidth stuff.

Like Rich mentioned, some wireless stuff is upgradeable. Apple had a firmware update that would upgrade the wireless from g to n, for example. Quick and probably painless, and no chance of zapping anything changing physical cards.

Does 2 DIMM mean I can install two 2gB memory chips in later?

Does DVD super multi mean I can read and write most CDs and DVDs?

Does a VGA port = an RGB port = serial port??

Does V.92 mean it will have RJ11 and RJ45 ports??

What the heck is a bridge media adapter slot and would I ever need one?!

(sheesh)

OMG there is more;

Network Port = ???

PC card reader=??

SD card reader I think I know

Last edited:
Does 2 DIMM mean I can install two 2gB memory chips in later?

If it has 2 DIMM slots you can only have 2 DIMM installed. What you want to know if it does AND you can have a single DIMM (they don't have to be in pairs) - then see if you can order it with one (2GB).

Does DVD super multi mean I can read and write most CDs and DVDs?

Who knows. Look to see if says DVD-RW and DL (Double Layer) I lot of makers have fancy-schmancy names that don't mean much. Apple calls it SuperDrive but all sorts specs apply to SuperDrives.

Does a VGA port = an RGB port = serial port??

VGA sorta=RGB. It's analog. DVI is digital.

You might have a serial and parallel port. You have to check the specs. Macs don't have either.

Does V.92 mean it will have RJ11 and RJ45 ports??

RJ11 (I think). It means it has a internal modem which you'll never use.

You have to look at the detailed specs and compare those details.

It says,

Memory Slots 2 x DIMM installed
and
Memory Size 2GB

So does that mean I can pull their memory and add the desired 4GB?

This is all from the specifications page, Mike - I think that q came from the HP option above

Here is one that I am looking at, it is much more configurable than the others and the price shows it.
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c...rranty=WARR-0002&COMP_LAN+Controller=LAN-0003

Dave, in the Memory section, you'll see two options for 1GB, and two options for 2GB... at the end of the line, it says x1 or x2... the x1 option is all the memory (1gb or 2gb) on a SINGLE STICK (DIMM) of memory, so you still have the OTHER slot available. That's the option Mike was suggesting. If you take the 2GBx1, you can buy another 2GB DIMM later and have 4GB of memory. If you buy the 2GB (1024MBx2), both slots are used; you're gonna have to throw those away (or give them to me!) and buy TWO 2GB DIMMS later to get 4GB.

So pick one of the "x1" memory options to give yourself future flexibility...

Thanks guys, I'm definitely getting a superficial education on the terminology, with this endeavor.

Back