More multi engine time worth it?

The pay needs to match the standards.

The reason for the ATP rule change crash, in my opinion was a over worked and under paid crew, I don’t think their mind was in the game and expecting it to be was a little naive, it is easier to blame dead crew than pull the vail off that nasty part of the industry.

I think if they paid a good flat salary and offered a good schedule it would fix many issues.

Paying a hair more than a CFI makes, and saying you can make more of you work lots of your days off, that’s not how we move forward, as our current “pilot shortage” shows.
I think we’re talking about entirely different things.

I think we’re talking about entirely different things.

I’m just saying the silent part out loud.

For the compensation for a right seat regional

I feel safer with a person with bare ATP mins, I understand why they are there.

If they are well above those mins, I don’t understand why they are there, but I am sure there is a reason, it is probably not due to them making good decisions ether inside or outside of the cockpit

I’m just saying the silent part out loud.

For the compensation for a right seat regional

I feel safer with a person with bare ATP mins, I understand why they are there.

If they are well above those mins, I don’t understand why they are there, but I am sure there is a reason, it is probably not due to them making good decisions ether inside or outside of the cockpit
So you’d much rather have the OP in the right seat with 1500TT and 50 hours multi instead of 75. Gotcha. Safety first.

I just hope I don’t have to train him.

Last edited:
I'm going to toss something out that I probably shouldn't, but will. It's the Internet, after all.

I think people associate hrs flown with higher experience, and that with higher skill and lower chance of accident. I don't think that's how it started, though. In the old days, before all the improvements we've had in technology, from gps to terrain and collision avoidance systems, better weather forecasting, etc., a pilot who made 1500 hrs was known to be likely good, because the unskilled ones didn't survive. The hours weeded out the weak ones. If you put 1000 hrs in, flying a non-autopilot equipped turboprop on night cargo runs in the northeast, you pretty much learn how to fly that aircraft, as an example. As our systems get better, safer, and more automated, there are pilots that likely don't have those skills.

Completely irrelevant to the original post, but I'm ok with that. I have tens of thousands of hours of typing experience, but that doesn't mean I'm saying anything worthwhile. :)

So you’d much rather have the OP in the right seat with 1500TT and 50 hours multi instead of 75. Gotcha. Safety first.

I just hope I don’t have to train him.

If you think hour building 25hrs, or MEI/Hobbs watching 25hrs, is going to make much of a difference, I think we are very far apart at our definitions of “experience”

You don’t think the pay is a factor in the type of talent a operation attracts?
I don’t. I believe it attracts more people, but not necessarily better talent.

Delta wants (okay, wanted a masters degree). They also wanted tons of community service, and some other non related things.

That may give you a different type of person, but not better “talent”.

There are more examples.

If you think hour building 25hrs, or MEI/Hobbs watching 25hrs, is going to make much of a difference, I think we are very far apart at our definitions of “experience”
Or at least very far apart on our experience training them.

Okay… yes, more multi time is better. It exposes you (usually) to more complex things because you are expected to do so. You are viewed as more of a professional.
That is enhanced the further you go up the scale.
For instance….

You can be a freshly minted IR pilot, then get freshly minted in a *real* jet. You get thrown into a complex/busy socal or NYC situation. You may not not know what just hit you. You are overwhelmed. But ATC, and the system at large, sees you are in a professional airplane. It’s assumed you can handle it.

I’ve seen this toooo many times.

Back