More info that you probably care about.

The Old Man

Line Up and Wait
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
The Old Man
And so beginneth my first major update.

You are probably wondering why I am using this vehicle rather than the journal, so I will explain that first.

The journal host has been down since sometime in December. I feel that it has been abandoned. I have not been able to contact anyone in management for over 2 years, and there have been no hosting charges made for almost that long. Ergo, they have quietly gone out of business.

At this point, I am not ready to invest in a new host and the concommittant effort to reload the site. So I have few alternatives available to keep my friends up to date. I essentially have 3 groups of friends; Special olympics who I am in constant contact with both FTF and by phone and facebook. Beech Aero Club and Pilots of America, Many of who have called me, or sent me cards. I am proud and grateful to have so many people around the world who have shown real interest in my life and concern over the rough spots I now must travel. They deserve information and my acknowledgement of their concern, so this is the easiest way for me to keep them up to date. If the moderators of either forum do not wish me to do this, let me know quickly and I will find another method.

Now the details. I have adenocarcinoma (Non-small cell). It is classified as a lung cancer (More on that later) although the tumor grows between the lung and the pluera. The mass pressing on the lung induces pneumonia which becomes the normal means of discovery, meaning the chance for early discovery is small. Most of them are not found until after the lymph glands are involved. This makes the possibility of elimination of the tumor small and the 5 year survival rate very small. Although this is a "lung" cancer, it is the least likely to be smoking related. There are few cases of it in smokers and many cases in non-smokers (relatively).

There are 3 subtypes of this form. One is very amenable to oral drugs, but that isn't in my luck. The third is much more agressive, but I don't have that one either. What I have is the more passive one that normally resopnds well to the newest combination of radiation and chemo therapys. This combinatioon is doing well enough thaat there should be enough survivors that there will be a 5 year survivor number soon. I intend to be one of them.

I have completed 3 weeks of the combined therapy (5 days of radiation and 1 chemo). Two more of this and an assessmeent. them a retooling of the chemo to complete it.

So that is where we are now.

Glad to hear that you're still in the game and holding some decent cards. We just learned that a good friend's prognosis after surgery at MDA is much better than previously diagnosed, and hope yours will be even better.

You sound upbeat, and that's probably the best medicine you could have. Keep us informed. I wish you the best.

Jim

Bo, thanks for the update. Keep the positive attitude and battle on. Mary and I think of you and Sandra everyday as we look forward to BAC Fest and spending time together.

I hate cancer and wish you the best in your treatment. Keep us informed on your progress.

Bo

If steady resolve and indomitable spirit mean anything, you'll be telling us tales for a long time to come! Thank you very much for the update.

As for your log, there are many dirt-cheap ways to get it back up, assuming you have the source backups (and I am certain you do). I'm no expert, but know a few, so let me know if you'd like some modest assistance in that direction.

Spike,
Money is no object (within reason, I know general web host costs). Time is.
I do have a complete mirror on my current machine as well as a backup on a data DVD. so that is no problem. Th current size is ~75MB.

Good luck, and be careful. You can't control tumor regression other than do what doctors tell you, but you can take steps to avoid the pneumonia. Also, remember that both sorts of treatment will diminish immune responsiveness, so don't expose yourself to pathogens and microbes that can hurt you, your body will have that much more trouble fighting them off.

I don't think we've met, Bo... But I wish you well on fighting the cancer. Websites come and go, don't sweat that part.

I cannot tell you, my friends how much your support and prayers mean to Sandra and I. They help me immensely towards keeping a positive attitude. Please keep it going.
Thanking you through my tears of joy,

....... This combinatioon is doing well enough thaat there should be enough survivors that there will be a 5 year survivor number soon. I intend to be one of them.

Bo that's what I like to hear!!!!! You have my prayers. As an MC member I think I can speak for my fellow MC members as say that we would be more than honored to have you use POA to post updates. Your positive attitude is an inspiration.

My wife and I started praying for you when you first posted your cancer diagnosis. Keep the positive attitude. It makes a world of difference.

We are just up the road in McKinney. If we can help you or your wife let us know. Contact info sent via PM.

Eric

Prayers and best wishes to you and your family as you continue on your journey to become a member of the 5 year (and longer) club!

Back