More Google presence?

Google's "Planetary Ventures" is setting up shop in Hangar one, of all places. Truly, nothing is sacred.

Nothing is sacred? What are you talking about?

Google has had a close relationship with its neighbor for many years. You do know where Google is physically located, right?

If you didn't donate to the Save Hangar One fund, you have N O T H I N G to say about it. Either Google gets it or it stays the giant birds nest the Navy left it, or it gets torn down. Personally, I don't like either of the alternatives.

Just what exactly do you want done with Hangar One? It hasn't had any sensible use since the Navy left 20 years ago, and arguably since World War II.

Google has had a close relationship with its neighbor for many years. You do know where Google is physically located, right?

If you didn't donate to the Save Hangar One fund, you have N O T H I N G to say about it. Either Google gets it or it stays the giant birds nest the Navy left it, or it gets torn down. Personally, I don't like either of the alternatives.

Just what exactly do you want done with Hangar One? It hasn't had any sensible use since the Navy left 20 years ago, and arguably since World War II.

Make it into condos, perhaps? Or maybe a prison?

It's hard to come up with a practical use for a building of that design. I have no idea what Google plans to do with it; and to tell you the truth, I really don't want to give it much thought. But it wouldn't shock me if they wanted to build an airship so they can sell ads in the sky, as well as everywhere else. Google won't be happy until they have their ads on the insides of our eyelids.

-Rich

Make it into condos, perhaps? Or maybe a prison?

It's hard to come up with a practical use for a building of that design. I have no idea what Google plans to do with it; and to tell you the truth, I really don't want to give it much thought. But it wouldn't shock me if they wanted to build an airship so they can sell ads in the sky, as well as everywhere else. Google won't be happy until they have their ads on the insides of our eyelids.

-Rich

Google has been very straightforward about what they want to do with the restored Hangar One. They want to store their corporate aircraft in there, with no external alteration beyond what was there before the de-skin. Presumably for wow factor to get them some tail (if you've ever seen those guys show up at the field for a flight, that does appear to be a factor).

If they make it into a 1/4 mile billboard, the locals will blockade the Google Plex. Seriously. Some of those guys have nothing else to do.

The indoor space is very impressive.

Airship Ventures already tried the airborne ad thing here. It wasn't successful enough to keep them in business, even when you add in selling rides for $400/hour/person.

I always think Twinkie when I see Hanger One.

Maybe google will paint it yellow? And plaster their logo on the side, :lol: who needs GPS when you can see a giant glowing google Twinkie for 30 miles. :D

Residents near Moffett Field will be so proud.:D

Google has promised rather explicitly NOT to alter the outside of Hangar One.

Believe me, you're not the first person to think a big Google logo on the side facing 101 might be tempting for them.

Google has promised rather explicitly NOT to alter the outside of Hangar One.

Believe me, you're not the first person to think a big Google logo on the side facing 101 might be tempting for them.

No, they wouldn't waste that kind of space on what has to be one of the world's most ubiquitous logos. A giant LCD display to sell ad space would be more in line.

If Google was as interested as displaying their logo and ads everywhere they could, as some here suggest, then please explain why google.com is 85% white space.

Perhaps facts do not quite align with your reality?

If Google was as interested as displaying their logo and ads everywhere they could, as some here suggest, then please explain why google.com is 85% white space.

Google search is the ultimate bait-and-switch...no ads on the "home" search page, 1/3rd to 1/2 ads after that...

Google search is the ultimate bait-and-switch...no ads on the "home" search page, 1/3rd to 1/2 ads after that...

Clearly identified as ads. Why would anyone expect Google NOT be allowed to make money?

Do you rail against all ads or just Google ads?

Clearly identified as ads. Why would anyone expect Google NOT be allowed to make money?

Do you rail against all ads or just Google ads?

I'm not railing against anything, just stating fact that often 1/3 or more of the page area is ads. I use Google Ads quite a bit for my retail business. While it does state where there are ads, I don't think it is always that obvious to people who aren't all that savvy with the internet (i.e., older folks).

Jeff

IT. WAS. A. JOKE.
(good grief...) Oh, and btw, I have better things to do with my money than throw it behind POS relics from a bygone era...

Because the logo stands out more.
Compare with

www.bing.com
www.yahoo.com

And they let you actually be in charge of things?

With the ONLY logo being Google, ergo the entire 100% of the page is dedicated to being an advertisement for Google. But then, I don't really care.

This is the first hangar talk in the Hangar Talk forum for quite a while. If nothing else, Google was able to get people taking about hangar in here. :D

Back