More from the TSA

They failed 95% of the time, but that was with our best trying to beat the system. I doubt the terror people are that good.
Yes there were shoe and underwear bombers, as well as liquid threats.
I'm confused.. Do you suggest we just pretend that doesn't exist and not guard against it?

Technically that wasn't our best. That was auditors/trainers passing things that they were trained to stop. A checkride, if you will. And not from Bob Hoover.

With our BEST trying to beat the system? Define the best. There may have once been someone who forgot they had a loaded gun in their carry on and gone through TSA's screening, realizing their error when they ended up on the plane with both the passengers, TSA, and pilots being none the wiser.

Yes. There were shoe and underwear bombers. As well as liquid threats. And how well did the TSA defend against those BEFORE they occurred?

I suggest we take more reasonable approaches by looking internationally to see what they do. Turns out Israel has a big bullseye on their back... but their airport terminals don't require TSA agents to fondle your junk to make sure you're not going to blow up a plane... though historically, blowing up planes hasn't been the big concern. Hasn't really happened AFAIK on planes departing America in... ever.

With our BEST trying to beat the system? Define the best.

Yes. There were shoe and underwear bombers. As well as liquid threats. And how well did the TSA defend against those BEFORE they occurred?

I suggest we take more reasonable approaches by looking internationally to see what they do. Turns out Israel has a big bullseye on their back... but their airport terminals don't require TSA agents to fondle your junk to make sure you're not going to blow up a plane... though historically, blowing up planes hasn't been the big concern. Hasn't really happened AFAIK on planes departing America in... ever.
As much as I admire Israel's system, it just would not work with the volume of traffic in the US.

I still maintain our system is good. Not perfect mind you... There will be breaches in the future no doubt.
That said, who would get on an airliner tomorrow with ABSOLUTELY ZERO security measures??

Not me.

Did we have zero security measures before 9/11?

What was the rate of hijack of people crashing planes into buildings.

I specifically stated that reinforced cockpit doors, modified hijack procedures, and air marshals were all good things to be added after 9/11.

Advocating the dismantling of a terrible bureaucracy masquerading as security isn't the same thing as advocating for no security.

As I said, 9/11 changed everything. I'm not sure why you're so sour on the security system. If you fly commercially often enough where it starts infringing on your personal time, you may want to try the pre-check program.
Personally I like the security. If nothing else it's a deterrent.

That said, I'm crew so I never wait in line.

As I said, 9/11 changed everything. I'm not sure why you're so sour on the security system. If you fly commercially often enough where it starts infringing on your personal time, you may want to try the pre-check program.
Personally I like the security. If nothing else it's a deterrent.

That said, I'm crew so I never wait in line.

As I said, 9/11 created a bureaucracy due to kneejerk political reactions. So yes. Using "9/11 changed everything" is a nifty catch all, but.... uhhh.... not sure that's a legitimate justification.

As I said, 9/11 created a bureaucracy due to kneejerk political reactions. So yes. Using "9/11 changed everything" is a nifty catch all, but.... uhhh.... not sure that's a legitimate justification.

Some would say those weren't "knee jerk". Every politician known one should never let a good crisis go to waste.

The Toilet Safety Administration keeps me safe!

Back