More FAA craziness...

No one else concerned about a lack oversight on beyond line of site UAVs???

TL, DR. What are we supposed to be outraged about this time?

The single-paragraph wall of text in blurry 1-point font with numerous redacted words does not make for the most enticing reading. Truly a time for a TL;DR if I've ever seen one.

The single-paragraph wall of text in blurry 1-point font with numerous redacted words does not make for the most enticing reading. Truly a time for a TL;DR if I've ever seen one.

Agreed.

TL;DR - Someone complain against Company X for not complying with their waiver because the listed Responsible person had left the company. Investigation showed that to be true and it was corrected with Company X and they were counseled on following the waiver and updating the Responsible Person.

Then some Mumbo Jumbo about how they cannot tell the complainant what happened beyond that it was taken care off. Which is normal privacy protection. They were told to go through Public Affairs to request additional information. Which was most likely them being told “uh that’s a FOIA request sorry”.

The other PTRSs are just random investigations of various complaints against the same company.

————-

To me it sounds like this article is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. It’s UAS which is currently the Wild Wild West of the industry. You can’t make everyone happy. Looks like everyone did what they were suppose to do and the complainant wasn’t happy.

PTRS comments are only a snapshot of what really happened. It’s only as good as the person writing it. Most here are just “XYZ happened and I did ABC”.

Like almost all "law/code enforcement" they don't prevent squat. As they say, "When seconds count the police are only minutes away". They document and deal with matters after something bad happens. Police for example respond to crimes being committed or after they are committed there is very little prevention that goes on other than the occasional right place at the right time situation. There are no drone police. The FAA doesn't have the staffing to monitor all this stuff and I am not sure I want them or any government agency to have a bigger staff. My guess is like most bureaucracy it is fill out the waiver so we can hassle you if there is a problem.

UAVs were flying non-line of sight for years before drones became popular and rarely if ever was it a problem it likely isn't a big one now.

Like almost all "law/code enforcement" they don't prevent squat. As they say, "When seconds count the police are only minutes away". They document and deal with matters after something bad happens. Police for example respond to crimes being committed or after they are committed there is very little prevention that goes on other than the occasional right place at the right time situation. There are no drone police. The FAA doesn't have the staffing to monitor all this stuff and I am not sure I want them or any government agency to have a bigger staff. My guess is like most bureaucracy it is fill out the waiver so we can hassle you if there is a problem.

UAVs were flying non-line of sight for years before drones became popular and rarely if ever was it a problem it likely isn't a big one now.

Agree 100%

I will say...things are quite a bit different in the RC world these days than they were 20 years ago. It used to be that your average RCs flyer was older and had to have a lot of building skill. That, and the expense and difficulty of flying an RC airplane tended to keep the hobby in the realm of the truly committed. And by today’s standards, the electronics of the day were absolutely rudimentary and the noise generated was profound. BVLOS was just not possible. Now, any 12 year-old can go down to the hobby shop and for a couple of hundred bucks buy a quad that is easily capable of flying itself from his back yard into the intake of a 737 or the rotor disc of the neighborhood Life Flight helicopter.

By way of disclaimer...I have a few drones and I own a pair of Fat Sharks and DJI goggles, and I’ve been flying RC airplanes for decades. I think the FAA is handling the “drone” issue every bit as well as the FAA Aeromedical branch handles pilots’ medical issues.:rolleyes: . I’m on the side of the drones, but I acknowledge that there are issues that need to be addressed. I just wish that the FAA wasn’t so likely to take its usual “throw out the baby with the bath water” approach to dealing with it.

I see nothing wrong with the FAA’s response. Waivers can be revoked, suspended or modified - who were they supposed to contact?

73797d841b304e266b8da1d66e782e6b.jpg

Where's the oversight... there's too much oversight... we found missing write ups on the prebuy!... where's the oversight... if it's not in the book it didn't happen!... there's too much oversight... :rolleyes: ;)

The author of that story is one of the biggest whiners in the UAS echo chamber

Back