More Basic Med Info

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
I ran across this article on General Aviation News. It gathers a lot of information together in an organized manner. Until I become a for-hire commercial pilot, I'll most likely fly under Basic Med.

I have sleep apnea, and will need to have a SI if I go third class, or higher. Although, because the FAA wants to see at least 6 hrs. CPAP sleep 75% of the time, even though I'm not close to starting flight training, I'm getting a lot better at getting my 6 hours a night. According to this article, I won't need a SI because they don't care about sleep apnea for Basic Med.

https://generalaviationnews.com/201...now+about+BasicMed&utm_campaign=TPOA-20190215

The article is too long to post here.

Fortunately for those that do wish or need to pursue the SI for OSA, it's not difficult to obtain.

It sounds from your post that you don't already have a 1st/2nd/3rd class medical, or you haven't had one in the past 10 years. If this is the case, you'll still need to get one before Basic Med is a possibility for you. In other words, you'll still need to get that SI at least once.

It sounds from your post that you don't already have a 1st/2nd/3rd class medical, or you haven't had one in the past 10 years. If this is the case, you'll still need to get one before Basic Med is a possibility for you. In other words, you'll still need to get that SI at least once.
I'm not an active pilot by any means but my most recent medical was in July 2007 so I qualify for Basic Med w/o needing another FAA medical exam .

Last edited:
Back