More animal cruelty

My cats are rescue cats - apparently someone left them outside a vet clinic when they were only a few weeks old. I adopted them when they were 6 months old - they were in a foster home.

They are both very sweet and friendly, and very gentle, cats.

Yea one of the cats we just adopted has a beautiful long hair coat. When we first got him, his back was so severely matted they had to untangle him with a comb because the pet grooming center was afraid of cutting his skin. I know that amount of tangles had to hurt the way it was. It reminded me of the cruelty cases you see on the ASPCA shows. We think he belonged to an elderly lady because he's a very friendly cat, never offers to bite but still skittish of all the lights and sounds. He's the first one I've seen that doesn't like the ceiling fan on, how weird is that? Oh...and did I mention he weighs 18 pounds!

My cats are rescue cats - apparently someone left them outside a vet clinic when they were only a few weeks old. I adopted them when they were 6 months old - they were in a foster home.

They are both very sweet and friendly, and very gentle, cats.

About six years ago, our neighbor brought us an orange kitten that someone had dumped along the road - he had just taken orange boy's sister to the animal shelter. My old man (farmer, gruff, you'd never expect him to if you saw him) jumped in the truck and went out to the shelter right away. Picked her right out (it was obvious who was related) and brought her home.

You've never seen two happier cats. It's somewhat rare for brother/sister cats to remain friendly when they get older, but these two are best friends - I'm convinced it's because they both knew what happens at shelters.

A new "dumpee" just wandered up recently. His name is "Noolie," short for "Newly Acquired Cat."

I was coming back to my parents' house last night (I'm home for a wedding) and saw three abandoned black/white kittens alongside the road - maybe a month old. It's only a matter of time before they end up here or at the neighbors'. Damned if animal dumpers don't make me mad.

Please consider that if you want to donate money for animal shelters and prevention of animal cruelty go to a reputable charity such as the American Humane Association.

http://www.americanhumane.org/site/PageServer

Be very careful about some other "Humane Societies" as they do very little to protect pets and animals, but have other veiled goals. Wayne Pacelle and the HSUS are not what they seem.

http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/136

Disclaimer---> I am involved in animal agriculture and would be happy to discuss the merits of current animal welfare standards in the US in another thread if anyone would like to.

James Dean

Be very careful about some other "Humane Societies" as they do very little to protect pets and animals, but have other veiled goals. Wayne Pacelle and the HSUS are not what they seem.

http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/136
Timely post. I just got a big packet from HSUS today, with a big "PLEASE HELP" on the outside and a Pet Lovers calendar inside. It proclaims June "Adopt a Shelter Cat Month" and October "Adopt a Shelter Dog Month." I'll keep the calendar. :) To the best of my recollection, I've never given them any donation, so this is just their typical call for new donors.

Disclaimer---> I am involved in animal agriculture and would be happy to discuss the merits of current animal welfare standards in the US in another thread if anyone would like to.

James Dean

Hear hear! James was extremely open and candid with me when I had questions on the subject, and I learned a great deal from the dialouge with him.

Cheers,

-Andrew

My father is a retired veterinarian. Taught small animal surgery at Washington State University for 30 years prior to retiring 15 years ago. We had pets in the house the whole time I was growing up. We had pets while our kids were growing up. Our kids have cats, all rescued from shelters or adopted after being abandoned as kittens. I cannot imagine abusing animals. I've got no use for PITA or, worse, the Animal Liberation Front. Nothing but terrorists based on past experiences. But, animal abusers? They should be drawn and quartered. There is NO excuse for that sort of cruelty. None.

Well it looks like that despite the rough history and skin graphs, the little kitten is gonna be okay. He's got a long road ahead of him though. I didn't see it anywhere but I wonder who will end up adopting him in the end. He's sure getting a lot of publicity though.

Well it looks like that despite the rough history and skin graphs, the little kitten is gonna be okay. He's got a long road ahead of him though. I didn't see it anywhere but I wonder who will end up adopting him in the end. He's sure getting a lot of publicity though.

Elizabeth sen me this link of some pictures of him. http://www.pressdemocrat.com/Galler...photogallery&s_code=&GalleryID=204&StartRow=1

When you look at the pics the one thing I kept thinking was that he has already been adopted. Look at his nurse and you will see what I mean.

I think the nurse takes him home to give him round the clock care but I bet she adopts him after all this. How could you not?

FYI
Dear Sir/Madam,

We have received your correspondence regarding the distressing case of the minors who burned a kitten in Santa Rosa. As you may now be aware, my office charged the two juvenile females with felony animal cruelty. The charge applies to anyone who maliciously and intentionally maims, mutilates or tortures, or wounds a living animal and it carries a maximum penalty of three years confinement.

Many members of the community, like yourself, have expressed dismay over the maltreatment of innocent animals, and this case in particular. Understandably, the public does not tolerate animal cruelty. And I want you to know that this office does not tolerate animal cruelty either. Under California state law, the names of the minors in this case are confidential and the juvenile proceedings are closed to the public. What happens during the hearings therefore cannot be disclosed.

You can be assured that we will do our part to ensure that those responsible are held accountable. We are committed to prosecuting these types of cases so that offenders are held accountable and to prevent future suffering.

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns.

Sincerely,

Stephan R. Passalacqua
Sonoma County District Attorney

Stephan R. Passalacqua
District Attorney
County of Sonoma
600 Administration Drive, Room 212J
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
(707) 565-3098
spassala@sonoma-county.org

I hope justice is done here.

Adam is still doing very well and continues to get better.

He waves hello to all of the PoA'er, even the dog lovers ;)

waving.jpg

This morning, a nurse came by for a para-med exam. My cat, Galileo, seems to hate people so he hides wherever possible. He's limited at this place but he had me stumped for over five hours as I could never find him. I was starting to get worried and hoping he had not managed to run outside when she opened the door. I found that hard to believe since he even runs at the slightest knock on the door but given the heat outside, I was definitely worried. He finally showed up... from somewhere inside.

He's a pain in the butt sometimes. He chews on things and leaves more cat hair around than would seem possible. But, the sucker that I am, I'd still get upset were something to happen to him. ;)

Cats are such small critters but they have this ability to still rip your heart out... emotionally, of course. :)

What the heck is wrong with people? If we cannot show compassion and care for animals we sure as heck cannot for each other. Well I guess that is true when one looks at the state of the world.

There go two little serial killers in the making. Me? I'd clamp their hands down, dump some lighter fluid on them and light it. This kind of stuff just p*****s me off. How can you laugh at that? That's just pure evil. Might as well just kill them now, because they will never be but a pain and drain on society.

Psychiatrists, Sociologists, and Psychologists will all determine it's a bad gene and therefor they are not to be held responsible for their acts. Give them pills and send them on their way.
It's the way of the world.

I'm all for that. It's a genetic problem, they can never be different, give them a pill, of cyanide. They are a waste of resources.

15 years old girls. Nice job on the whole being a parent thing there. :rolleyes:

Let's not jump the gun on that (unless it's genetic, but that puts a whole new twist on the use of the term "parenting") I know some kids who had fine and involved parents who tried everything they could, but their kids were still s**t. There's a lot involved. I continuously wonder why we have movies and video games fashioned on the glorification of extreme violence and brutality. We live in a f'ed up society (world wide, not just here) and it generates evil.

Hear hear! James was extremely open and candid with me when I had questions on the subject, and I learned a great deal from the dialouge with him.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I used to do a ranch thing, and I love animals. I didn't have any problems with it. The animals on our place, even the ones raised for slaughter, were all treated very well. They all lived good lives right up until the point they died. I hope I get to do the same. Oh and Obi, we had about 18 cats and 14 dogs accumulated the same way as y'all.

There go two little serial killers in the making. Me? I'd clamp their hands down, dump some lighter fluid on them and light it. This kind of stuff just p*****s me off. How can you laugh at that? That's just pure evil. Might as well just kill them now, because they will never be but a pain and drain on society.

thank you for having the guts to say something I didn't.

Let's not jump the gun on that (unless it's genetic, but that puts a whole new twist on the use of the term "parenting") I know some kids who had fine and involved parents who tried everything they could, but their kids were still s**t. There's a lot involved. I continuously wonder why we have movies and video games fashioned on the glorification of extreme violence and brutality. We live in a f'ed up society (world wide, not just here) and it generates evil.

I 2nd the motion. Any opposed?......

BTW Adam continues to do well and he has found a permanent home. His caretaker, Tina, finally decided that she could not part with him. There are some living arrangement issues that need to be sorted out between Adam and Tina's dog but she is sure she can deal with them.

What a pretty cat! He actually looks a lot like mine.

Attachments

• adam2_121207.jpg
    adam2_121207.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 30
Mommmm... why did you dress me up in this thing? But I'll sit here and look pretty for your picture. :redface:

Glad to hear that Adam is doing well.

Mommmm... why did you dress me up in this thing? But I'll sit here and look pretty for your picture. :redface:

Glad to hear that Adam is doing well.

I was thinking the same thing, that picture is a blatent display of animal cruelty.

I'd like to see pictures of the 2 girls dressed in their correctional facility jumpsuits for Christmas. That would give me some Christmas cheer.

Umm,

guys,

I don't condone senseless cruelty to animals, but mightn't we be a bit overwrought here?

I mean, you don't actually think that steak grows in those little polystyrene packages, do you?

~ Christopher

Umm,

guys,

I don't condone senseless cruelty to animals, but mightn't we be a bit overwrought here?

I mean, you don't actually think that steak grows in those little polystyrene packages, do you?

~ Christopher
No but nobody throws lighter fluid on cows to watch them burn for entertainment either. They burn them after they are dead. And BTW some of us really don't like meat. I have had two steaks this entire year and if I eat meat more than once a week it is unusual. Although I have really been craving hamburger the past couple of weeks.

oh my God! I'm speechless!

Michael Vick and those girls deserve a special place in hell.

Yes. A place with two cages, lots of lighter fluid, and matches for the girls, and a pit with high walls filled with all the dogs Vick abused or allowed to be abused for "sport" and, of course, profit.

Adam is still doing very well and continues to get better.

He waves hello to all of the PoA'er, even the dog lovers ;)

waving.jpg

Way to go Adam! If I were in the market for a feline friend, I wouldn't hesitate to adopt him.
And it really does make me outraged that someone found it amusing or cathartic to do this to him.
Sure, he's "just a cat", but he suffered needlessly, for someone's very twisted amusement. That's just plain bad.
But his plight has brought tons of empathy and kindness bubbling out of lots of people. That is good.

Umm,

guys,

~ Christopher

Nope, but we don't slaughter the cows by dumping gas on them and bbqing them live either.

Thanks for letting us know how he's doing, I have 3 cats that bring me joy every day. Now, for the young scum responsible for this, we have a saying in this part of the country. SHOOT, SHOVEL, AND SHUT UP!
Dave.

Just had filet mignon last night -- just superb. I don't mind killing animals, but there is a line that these girls crossed. Actually, they drove across it in a semi doing 120mph!

Hmm, slightly mixed metaphor. ;)

My point is simply, don't we have a system of justice for a reason? Specifically to prevent lynchings, putting people in pits with rabid dogs, etc.

I agree that Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up has it's place, I just don't think this is it.

~ Christopher

I don't see that I ever followed up with what happened to the girls accused of doing this to Adam. So here it goes.

In August of last year they were charged and arrested for the crime. They were put in jail and not released on bail while awaiting their trial. As juveniles they were placed in juvenile jail and not the big house. While their names were never released one of the girls father's did make several statements to the police.

His words and statements were that his daughter did not and could not ever have done anything so heinous. She was actually also a victim in that the crime was committed by little boys in a local gang and she feared for her safety, etc.

Investigators were unable to substantiate those claims. When the trial finally began the girls changed their plea to guilty and made a statement to the courts that it was they and they alone who who had committed the crime.

Part of their punishment is to also attend some sort of animal rehabilitation but the other details have not been released.

travelling_adam.jpg

Adam is doing some traveling these days.

He appears to fell about the same as I do about getting on a airline death tube for my travels.

Back