More about Female Pilots..

bahama flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bahama flier
Not wanting to get into the mix, but only my observations.

When I started to fly, there were several Female pilots training in the area. I would watch out for them, and listened to their transmissions.

I soon became a little intimidated by them, they did it all by the book, they were very efficient with their skills, their approaches were by the book, and very nice landings, yes better than me.

Not wanting to say which pilots were better, but I know the male pilots seemed to take shortcuts, do not square off their landings(more of a circle approach) and the females were always more precise in the approach.

I would never feel uncomfortable with a female Pilot flying me around now, but before I flew with them, I would have felt uncomfortable.

Just saying, my observations only..

Yeah and they do better in school by remembering the textbook word for word. Independent thought is a different story.:eek:

So where do transvestites fit into the mix? Probably not enough hermaphrodites to get a statistic.

Henning will need TWO statistics, one group going in each direction. I suspect very small numbers.

My CFI and CFII were both female, one a former airline pilot transitioning to a new career, the other making a mid-life career change to be an airline pilot. I felt prepared for both checkrides, with the proof being that they felt easy. They taught, I learned.

But then again, my little country airport with 40-odd based aircraft has how many female pilots? I don't know the total number, but offhand I can think of seven immediately. I have no problem with female pilots, only boneheads of all genders, colors, persuasions and preferences.

As a former driving instructor at the race track for a sports car club, most instructors prefer female students.

[stereotyping]

Put a helmet on a guy's head, get him behind the wheel, and he tends to be a know-it-all.

Put a helmet on a female's head, and she understands she has lots to learn, listens well, and usually progresses faster than the guys in the same class.

[\stereotyping]

As a former driving instructor at the race track for a sports car club, most instructors prefer female students.

[stereotyping]

Put a helmet on a guy's head, get him behind the wheel, and he tends to be a know-it-all.

Put a helmet on a female's head, and she understands she has lots to learn, listens well, and usually progresses faster than the guys in the same class.

[\stereotyping]

There's always some truth to stereotypes. I find much the same thing training up captains in close quarters boat handling, also females approach it from the finesse side while guys, especially those who haven't sailed, rely on power and force for control.

I'm not sure why people want to say male pilots are like this and female pilots are like that when there is a lot of variation in both.

I haven't seen a repeatable trend on the females that go through UPT to suggest they are more or less adept than men to do the job. Some are good, some are bad. And then, there's some who use their gender to create havoc when things don't go their way.

No different than the rest of the world. What is undeniable is that most females are not as interested in flying, whether recreationally or professionally, as men are. It's about time feminists stop extrapolating political agendas out of that socio-cultural happenstance. Same thing can be said about certain STEM disciplines et al.

But oh no, we have to have equal participation in everything, otherwise somebody is being marginalized according to the pundits. Meh. Hell, my lack of attraction to women who enjoy the same professional pursuits I do (it bores me to think about dating or marrying a carbon copy of myself) is construed as sexism by many of said females.

Like Louis CK said: "Everything's amazing... and nobody's happy". Whatever. Life is an opportunity cost. Nothing is owed to anyone. But you can't have it all.

ETA: My PPL CFI was female. Completely immaterial to pretty much anything worth fighting about.

I'm not sure why people want to say male pilots are like this and female pilots are like that when there is a lot of variation in both.

Yep, however when one looks at the selection of women and men who go into these riskier endeavors, you find a contingent of men doing so for reasons that women don't. This element are the ones that probably shouldn't be pilots.

Not wanting to get into the mix, but only my observations.

When I started to fly, there were several Female pilots training in the area. I would watch out for them, and listened to their transmissions.

I soon became a little intimidated by them, they did it all by the book, they were very efficient with their skills, their approaches were by the book, and very nice landings, yes better than me.

Not wanting to say which pilots were better, but I know the male pilots seemed to take shortcuts, do not square off their landings(more of a circle approach) and the females were always more precise in the approach.

I would never feel uncomfortable with a female Pilot flying me around now, but before I flew with them, I would have felt uncomfortable.

Just saying, my observations only..
I have to concur with that observation.

Yeah and they do better in school by remembering the textbook word for word. Independent thought is a different story.:eek:
When my wife lost an engine at 1000ft AGL and had to put it down on a busy road between power lines and a drainage ditch, with a low bridge ahead, I don't think it had much to do with memorization. She handled that airplane like it was part of her. And she only had about 200 hours at the time.

[stereotyping]

[\stereotyping]

My wife was a very technical motocross racer who could really "feel" a course.. Her one shortfall against men was her lack of forearm strength- I was amazed when I rode with her a few times at the burn in my forearms. Because of this she would usually finish very high in the first moto- often top three. But after the first moto she would fade as she wrestled her CR125 around the course.
I made her sell her bikes when she was accepted to medical school. Much gnashing of teeth, tears and broken dishes, but I held firm for once. She wants to get into dirt track car racing when her time in the military is done.

Ya know what the problem with female pilots is?

Me either. Dumb thread.

Ya know what the problem with female pilots is?

Every hour they fly is another hour some bathroom is neglected. Maybe women could fly if men first build an autopilot that does laundry.:D

My wife was a very technical motocross racer who could really "feel" a course.. Her one shortfall against men was her lack of forearm strength- I was amazed when I rode with her a few times at the burn in my forearms. Because of this she would usually finish very high in the first moto- often top three. But after the first moto she would fade as she wrestled her CR125 around the course.
I made her sell her bikes when she was accepted to medical school. Much gnashing of teeth, tears and broken dishes, but I held firm for once. She wants to get into dirt track car racing when her time in the military is done.

Uhhhh....she gots a sister?!?! I'm asking for a friend, of course :yesnod::yesnod:

Uhhhh....she gots a sister?!?! I'm asking for a friend, of course :yesnod::yesnod:

Yes, but but they are polar opposites. Her sister is a 5'9" "girly girl" cheerleader type. My wife is 5'3" (maybe), and came close to flunking her flight school physical when her arms were almost too short.

In any comparison of men and women, remember to portray the female characteristics as superior. This is know as 'Althouse's Law', after the (female) law professor who coined the term.

I've said it before, and I must repeat, the rule is: If you do scientific research into the differences between men and women, you must portray whatever you find to be true of women as superior. And when you read reports about scientific research into the differences between men and women, use the hypothesis that the scientists are following that rule. It makes reading the reports quite humorous.

In any comparison of men and women, remember to portray the female characteristics as superior. This is know as 'Althouse's Law', after the (female) law professor who coined the term.

That works for PC chumps. I'll portray whoever I want to talk about in whatever way I feel like.

There was a time when my department chair, dean, provost and president were all female. I don't really think they did in aggregate any better than the guys.

Many many women flew in WW2. They flew P 51s, P38s, B24s, you name it. Betty Skelton, who passed away recently , soloed a taylorcraft at 12 years old. Went on to fly serious acrobatic. Russian women flew lots of combat in WW2, som of them were aces. Then there's Cholene Espanoza , who graduated from the Air Force academy, flew as an instructor pilot, then flew U2's , crashed in fog in South Korea, pulled from wreckage, flew U2 some more, then flew the prince of Dubi as left seat, then for a major U.S. Airline. She then became a doctor, and has assisted the people of Haiti during the disaster there. Google her. The list is endless. Then there's the woman, famous, who flew most everything and wound up setting records in an F104 star fighter. Her name escapes me.

At some point I hope we are not referred to as "female pilots", but rather as "pilots"

I will say it's incredibly annoying to pull into an FBO (me in the right seat, instructing) and have the line service person only tall to the male in the left. But that is just how things are right now.

At some point I hope we are not referred to as "female pilots", but rather as "pilots"

I will say it's incredibly annoying to pull into an FBO (me in the right seat, instructing) and have the line service person only tall to the male in the left. But that is just how things are right now.

I think if it were two males, the same thing would happen.

Many many women flew in WW2. They flew P 51s, P38s, B24s, you name it. Betty Skelton, who passed away recently , soloed a taylorcraft at 12 years old. Went on to fly serious acrobatic. Russian women flew lots of combat in WW2, som of them were aces. Then there's Cholene Espanoza , who graduated from the Air Force academy, flew as an instructor pilot, then flew U2's , crashed in fog in South Korea, pulled from wreckage, flew U2 some more, then flew the prince of Dubi as left seat, then for a major U.S. Airline. She then became a doctor, and has assisted the people of Haiti during the disaster there. Google her. The list is endless. Then there's the woman, famous, who flew most everything and wound up setting records in an F104 star fighter. Her name escapes me.

Jackie Cochran. She was friends with Chuck Yeager.

The line person is talking to the person in the left seat as he assumes it's the PIC. Pretty obvious to me. Has nothing to do with gender.

I think if it were two males, the same thing would happen.

The line person is talking to the person in the left seat as he assumes it's the PIC. Pretty obvious to me. Has nothing to do with gender.

So the two years I spent in the left seat and my partner in the right seat was constantly approached is a mute point?

So the two years I spent in the left seat and my partner in the right seat was constantly approached is a mute point?

Only if no one talks about it.

Look 6% of pilots are female. Odds are the guy is going to be the pilot.

A good pilot is a good pilot no matter the gender,get over it.

"I don't think a woman can be a good pilot" said absolutely nobody.

"I don't think a woman can be a good pilot" said absolutely nobody.
Lots of people have said it. Many more have seen it and remained silent. Others have seen it and deny themselves the truth, speak opposite of what they know in their hearts, in the hope of getting a hug.

When my wife lost an engine at 1000ft AGL and had to put it down on a busy road between power lines and a drainage ditch, with a low bridge ahead, I don't think it had much to do with memorization. She handled that airplane like it was part of her. And she only had about 200 hours at the time.

Have you posted this story on here somewhere?
I would love to read it.

Thanks.

Practical Test Standards.

If you meet them, you're good enough to be a pilot. If you don't, you're not. Gender is irrelevant.

Yes, if we're being honest we all know that men tend to be better in some areas, women tend to be better in others but there are exceptions and exceptional people born every day. PTS makes this a non issue, you either can pass or you can't and I'm happy with this.

PTS: Let's get real... you're *barely* good enough to be a pilot. It's a *minimum* standard.

(Has nothing to do with gender, just pointing out the obvious...)

Back