Mooney Tips and Tricks

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I just found out today that I'll be finishing up my instrument in a 1984 K model Mooney.

I have 30 hours in a Bonanza, but no Mooney time. According to my instrument instructor, it doesn't fly like a Bonanza...more like a suped up Cherokee.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to give me before I start flying it? Airspeeds, power settings on approach and landing, etc?

Thanks!
Jason

Jason, #1 is learning how to manage the fixed wastegate. Oxymoron? NO!

When you advance the throttle for departure, only move it to about 32" boost. By the time you are rolling, it will spool up to near 40".

If you advance it much more, you will overboost it and have total attention diverted to keeping your conrods where they need to be. You might even take out a few runway lights.

Seriously, managing the powerplant is #1. You need also to plan your flying such that 3" MP reductions per minute are routine. Start reducing power EARLY. It's not about shock cooling the engine. It's about shock expansion/contraction of the turbocharger housing and poorly oil cooled bearings.

Flies just like an M20J- don't let the wheels touch until at <75 mph. Above 80 mph, no matter how low the vertical descent rate, it'll porpoise. SPEED DISCIPLINE is a survival mode. I lfy final at 80 mph (68 knots) with full flaps.

Once you're good at SPEED DISCIPLINE, it's a puddy tat.
18" MP and 2200 is very nice in the pattern.

Last edited:
Bruce is exactly right. That model requires extra attention to engine management. Otherwise, it's an airplane. You'll adjust to the different control feel quickly and learn the new numbers.

Ever play Aspetuck?

I just found out today that I'll be finishing up my instrument in a 1984 K model Mooney.

I have 30 hours in a Bonanza, but no Mooney time. According to my instrument instructor, it doesn't fly like a Bonanza...more like a suped up Cherokee.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to give me before I start flying it? Airspeeds, power settings on approach and landing, etc?

Thanks!
Jason

According to my instrument instructor, it doesn't fly like a Bonanza...more like a suped up Cherokee.
I disagree with the highlighted part. If you pull the power back in a draggy old Cherokee, it slows down. The M20K just keeps rockin' along. You can't go down and slow down at the same time (unless you're fortunate enough to be flying one that has speed brakes). Vlo is lower than on most newer Bonanzas. Transition from cruise to approach or traffic pattern takes time and advance planning.

I disagree with the highlighted part. If you pull the power back in a draggy old Cherokee, it slows down. The M20K just keeps rockin' along. You can't go down and slow down at the same time (unless you're fortunate enough to be flying one that has speed brakes). Vlo is lower than on most newer Bonanzas. Transition from cruise to approach or traffic pattern takes time and advance planning.

I think he was referring more to the bank control more so than pitch during our conversation, but thanks for your input. Looking forward to flying it soon.

Just flew the Mooney today for the first time. What a slick flying machine! I love flying that thing. Good news...I'm flying it every day this week. :)

jason,

you suck.

i flew the mooney (M20F) with Ted yesterday. It was fun. I was really surprised at how heavy the elevator control felt. I don't recall that from the few times I've flown J models, once with Brent Johnson and another with Lance Flynn. I was working the trim pretty hard the whole flight. i made a nice landing the first time with Ted's coaching. Then I pancaked a short field landing, but still made the turn off. I'll blame that one on Ted too :)

i flew the mooney (M20F) with Ted yesterday. It was fun. I was really surprised at how heavy the elevator control felt. I don't recall that from the few times I've flown J models, once with Brent Johnson and another with Lance Flynn. I was working the trim pretty hard the whole flight.

Yeah, and the M20J that I've flown has much lighter controls. I don't know whether it's that particular M20F or just M20Fs in general, but that one has very heavy controls. You do get used to it.

i made a nice landing the first time with Ted's coaching. Then I pancaked a short field landing, but still made the turn off. I'll blame that one on Ted too :)

Seeing as I was supposed to be teaching you how to fly the thing, your performance is more a reflection on me than anything, so I'll take the blame. ;)

And Jason, enjoy flying the Mooney! Excellent that you'll be flying it every day this week!

Back