Mooney owners how much would you charge?

mrjones30

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Freedom is Flying
I would like to go up in a Mooney, if anybody has one how much would it cost for an hour or two? I just want to see if I can fit in the seats and fly comfortable.

PS Also I would entertain other airplanes as well.

Thank you

Last edited:
:nono:
I would like to go up in a Mooney, if anybody has one how much would you charge to take me up in Florida for an hour or two? I just want to see if I can fit in the seats and fly comfortable for an hour or two.

Thank you

He obviously means, "How much fuel would we burn in an hour so I could pay my half?"

He obviously means, "How much fuel would we burn in an hour so I could pay my half?"
...on a flight you'd be making anyway so there's "common purpose.":wink2:

All I can say is that Mooney pilots must be less generous than Grumman pilots, because most Grumman pilots are so thrilled to have someone ask for a ride to see what a Grumman is like, they won't ask for money to do it. :tongue:

When I went through my Mooney phase, I tried to bum off a ride too, but quickly found it not feasible in my location. Then I simply went to Alliance Flight Training in Denver (FTG), who have a 1965 M20E in the fleet. They charged something like $65/hr dry. I think it was a right decision, because no private owner in his right mind would let you into the left seat, but I actually flew the darn thing, and have the scar on my palm for it. It was quite worth it.

...on a flight you'd be making anyway so there's "common purpose.":wink2:

All I can say is that Mooney pilots must be less generous than Grumman pilots, because most Grumman pilots are so thrilled to have someone ask for a ride to see what a Grumman is like, they won't ask for money to do it. :tongue:

I understand flying is expensive and I would like to pay my fair share and not just "bum" a ride.

When I went through my Mooney phase, I tried to bum off a ride too, but quickly found it not feasible in my location. Then I simply went to Alliance Flight Training in Denver (FTG), who have a 1965 M20E in the fleet. They charged something like $65/hr dry. I think it was a right decision, because no private owner in his right mind would let you into the left seat, but I actually flew the darn thing, and have the scar on my palm for it. It was quite worth it.

I don't have to fly it just get in the seats to see if I am comfortable. Fly around for about an hour just to see if I can sit in the seats for any length of time.

I don't have to fly it just get in the seats to see if I am comfortable. Fly around for about an hour just to see if I can sit in the seats for any length of time.

The front seats are typically comfortable. The back seats...good luck.

Andrew,

I'm fairly wide in the shoulders and I am 6 1 1/2 Someone on this forum mentioned that they had to have one arm on the seat next to them. That is very uncomfortable for any length of time. So I just want to see if that is going to happen to me.

The seats in the back I'm not too worried about.

Where's Parker Woodruff when an OP needs him? He and his M20K are over in Lakeland now.

Scar on your palm? Wha??

Must be some sort of inside joke for Mooney pilots...

Manual landing gear handle comes up from a clip that's forward and drops into the back seat. Similar to Johnson bar flaps if you've seen those big honking handles.

When extending the gear at higher speeds, the air pushing on the gear can "snatch"/pull the handle forward rapidly right as it goes through vertical where you're flipping your grip around to slow it down as it heads forward rapidly toward that clip.

You don't really want it to slam into the clip mechanism and other hardware so you try to keep ahold of it and not let it slam down.

Misjudge the speed and then try to hang on, your hand or fingers are going into the clip along with the handle. ;)

Got a little time in a Mooney M20C. Honest airplane, fast little fuel sipper, but I was skinnier back then and I felt like I was "wearing" that airplane.

Not uncomfortable but to get that forward cross-section size smaller so it'll go fast on less gas, the cockpit seems to curve in around you a bit. I'm not claustrophobic or anything like that. It's just "noticeable". Not everyone's cup o' tea. I didn't really mind it. I knew the trade off.

Coolest thing about my Mooney time was that I ran into the former owner and found out he's a hangar neighbor about six hangars down. He's building an airplane.

It depends on the model. The M20F and M20J/201 are fine in the back as the cabin was stretched from the C and E models.

If you're not a fat @ss, Mooneys are fine.

If you're ever in the east Atlanta area, I would be glad to give you test flight in my M20J...no charge. But beware, you'd like it. :D

I sent you a pm... My buddy has a m20j-201 in Swfl. Are you worried about legroom or width? I'm 6'2" and don't have a problem up front. The back seat even in the 201 is tight especially with a taller person in front of you.

Back