Mooney M20 For Instrument Trainer?

GregP

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GregP
Hello everyone,
Its been a while since I have been here, a few years ago I was working on getting my instrument rating but had to stop due to a job change etc. Now I am back and financialy ready to restart. I have looked at several of the common planes used for training but they are priced through the roof, I have been told by many CFI's that is becaused they are being shipped out of the country for flight schools all over the world and that of course creates supply and demand. So, I have noticed that the Mooney M20 J 201 with a 200 HP engine is not bad priced, there seems to be plenty of them and woud also make a good personnel use plane for later. Please give me your thoughts on using the Mooney for instrumant and commercial training.

Last edited:
There isn't a better instrument trainer and you can use it for the comm. Only bad thing is it'll be hard to build time because the thing gets you there that fast. The 201 was the sweet spot for Mooney, about as fast as you can go on an I0360.

Do it. I did (with a C model).

Go to Mooneyspace and download the MAPA document with key speeds and settings for various models. Makes flying approaches easier to start with those numbers and tweak as needed for your specific plane.

First thing is, join the Mooney Space forum. https://mooneyspace.com/

Second thing is, do to Mooney Flyer (online magazine) and start reading. All their issues, back to 2012 are in the Archive. https://themooneyflyer.com/

I think a Mooney would be fine for instrument training. The good news is, as it is faster, you spend less time repositioning for another approach. The bad news is, things happen faster. :)

I think a Mooney would be fine for instrument training. The good news is, as it is faster, you spend less time repositioning for another approach. The bad news is, things happen faster. :)
Yes and no. Get a Mooney dirtied up and it isn't that much faster than a Skyhawk. you can still do most of your approaches at 90-100 knots.

Yes and no. Get a Mooney dirtied up and it isn't that much faster than a Skyhawk. you can still do most of your approaches at 90-100 knots.

But you have less time to recover before the next approach. :D

Thanks for everyones input, certainly helpful.

I own a couple of Mooneys - an E and a K. I call the K a grown up airplane - fast, turbo, high ceiling, basically a J with a 6 cylinder turbo in the front.

You just happened to pick the most sought after, desirable and expensive 4 banger of the GA fleet… (much love to vintage mooneys before the J…)

What’s your total flight experience?

In my opinion, learn instruments in an old, slow 150/152/172.

Focus on learning how to shoot every round instrument approach there is before shooting a fancy shmancy cheap shot Easy gps lpv approach.

Mooneys are great and fast - do you own one yet? If not, why Incur the added workload of speed management and retractable gear?

Once you get your Instrument ticket in a cheaper, older equipped bird, you’ll be able to shoot whatever approach someone throws your way. Then you can add retract, high performance etc…

Then you can come back and I can sell you a nice plane with garmin GTN’s, 430’s or 530’s, ADSB in, and you can live like a king :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a couple of Mooneys - an E and a K. I call the K a grown up airplane - fast, turbo, high ceiling, basically a J with a 6 cylinder turbo in the front.

You just happened to pick the most sought after, desirable and expensive 4 banger of the GA fleet… (much love to vintage mooneys before the J…)

What’s your total flight experience?

In my opinion, learn instruments in an old, slow 150/152/172.

Focus on learning how to shoot every round instrument approach there is before shooting a fancy shmancy cheap shot Easy gps lpv approach.

Mooneys are great and fast - do you own one yet? If not, why Incur the added workload of speed management and retractable gear?

Once you get your Instrument ticket in a cheaper, older equipped bird, you’ll be able to shoot whatever approach someone throws your way. Then you can add retract, high performance etc…

Then you can come back and I can sell you a nice plane with garmin GTN’s, 430’s or 530’s, ADSB in, and you can live like a king :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huh? most expensive 4 banger? that's news to me (mooney owner).

if the OP is looking to purchase a plane and he is leaning towards mooney, then without a doubt, buy it and do your instrument/comm training in it, you will not regret it for one second. if the OP is looking to buy just to train in, then yeah, sounds like there could be other options, maybe cheaper, but none as fun. I wouldn't recommend anyone waste their time doing IR/comm in a 150/152/172 with ancient instruments unless they had no other options at all. flying is supposed to be fun.

Funny, everyone recommending a slow simple airplane for instrument training. I did mine in jets. :D

Nothing like 175 KIAS before the FAF. :D

Funny, everyone recommending a slow simple airplane for instrument training. I did mine in jets. :D

Military correct? Top or near top academically, top physical shape, nothing to worry about except passing or being washed out? Definitely not the standard GA pilot candidate, but awesome.

Generally speaking, there’s no reason not to learn in a “fast” airplane, especially if you’re planning on flying a “fast” airplane. Double-especially if you’re a rote learner.

The best answer, IMO, is learn why various parameters are appropriate for your airplane so that you can determine appropriate parameters for something else that you may fly in the future.

I’ve trained several pilots for the instrument rating in Mooneys.
The J’s were my favorite, but an F with electric gear was good too. An E with manual gear was a hand full... manual gear and manual-hydraulic flaps...

It will eliminate the need for transition training and will carry over into other high performance aircraft.
Just make sure YOU fit a Mooney. I’ve had two former clients (Mooney owners) sell them and move into either a Comanche or Saratoga. 6’3 250lbs don’t readily fit into a J model !

Two sold their Mooneys when they started flying B737’s...

Back