Mooney M10T

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
I finally got a chance to see some snapshots of the Mooney M10T. I know Mooney is a Chinese company now. Do you think the company will market here in the United States and will they have serious buyers? What is your take on the design and the new Diesel engine which will save customers in overall fuel costs!

View attachment Mooney.bmp View attachment Mooney3.bmp Mooney 2.jpg

Last edited:
Sure, they'll have buyers. It's a sweet design and plenty of people still have the money for a Mooney. They're not going to displace Cirrus, but it may take away some of the "high-end trainer" market that the G1000 C-172 and the DA-40 occupy, as well as some of the individual owner operators.

They are planning to produce them in the USA, at least initially, where they're also restarting production of the M20.

Sure, they'll have buyers. It's a sweet design and plenty of people still have the money for a Mooney. They're not going to displace Cirrus, but it may take away some of the "high-end trainer" market that the G1000 C-172 and the DA-40 occupy, as well as some of the individual owner operators.

They are planning to produce them in the USA, at least initially, where they're also restarting production of the M20.

I'm interested to see the overall quality of the airplane and how people are going to perceive it. They have large shoes to fill!

I'd say there's nothing actually "Mooney" about it and the tail is just a gimmick to try and cash in on the name recognition. Kind of silly really but it might be a fine airplane otherwise, I have no idea.

The M20 production line is already started and they are delivering planes from Kerrville for many months now.

I'd say there's nothing actually "Mooney" about it and the tail is just a gimmick to try and cash in on the name recognition. Kind of silly really but it might be a fine airplane otherwise, I have no idea.

True. This new M10 has as much in common with the M20 Mooney that everyone associates as being the "real" Mooney as the previous M10 did. That is, nothing but a similar shaped tail. The same could be also said of the M22 Mustang.

I thought the M10 was being engineered/designed in the US but manufactured in China. I could be remembering wrong.

I thought the M10 was being engineered/designed in the US but manufactured in China. I could be remembering wrong.

The design was based in California but were 90% Asian, that may be normal for California. I recall seeing a picture of the design team.

I heard that too, but I'm almost certain that they were going to build it at a different location, not in Kerrville. Somewhere in the L.A. basin. Flabob, Van Nuys, or something like that.

I really like the looks and specs I've seen for the M10J version.

There's not much solid information on the new M10 yet. They have said that it will be built where it was designed, Chino, CA. Production in China will eventually follow.

To my knowledge, there are no flying examples yet, so thus far, very little official info.

Are you disappointed it doesn't have fifty year old engineering? Is there some magic associated with legacy Mooney products that would make it better?

There's not much solid information on the new M10 yet. They have said that it will be built where it was designed, Chino, CA. Production in China will eventually follow.

To my knowledge, there are no flying examples yet, so thus far, very little official info.

With the recent Mooney crash at Lakeland I believe that we will find out all we need to know in the next few weeks!

With the recent Mooney crash at Lakeland I believe that we will find out all we need to know in the next few weeks!
The Lakeland one is one of the old restarted production bodies. Even if NTSB comes searching and then complains like in case of Gulfstream test crash, we're not going to learn anything about M10x.

I heard that too, but I'm almost certain that they were going to build it at a different location, not in Kerrville. Somewhere in the L.A. basin. Flabob, Van Nuys, or something like that.

Nothing like moving the manufacturing from a little town in the middle of nowhere with cheap labor costs to the most expensive place for manufacturing on Earth. Way to contain costs!

It's a different airframe from the one they rolled out in Zhuhai. Could even be their flight test unit, but not necessarily.

Nothing like moving the manufacturing from a little town in the middle of nowhere with cheap labor costs to the most expensive place for manufacturing on Earth. Way to contain costs!

They're not moving any manufacturing. The current M20 tooling and assembly will remain in Kerrville. New production line for completely different airframe will take place elsewhere.

They're not moving any manufacturing. The current M20 tooling and assembly will remain in Kerrville. New production line for completely different airframe will take place elsewhere.

Elsewhere being somewhere in the LA basin, according to Peter. If he's right they'll be manufacturing it in one of the most expensive labor and manufacturing environments on Earth. Notice that the Klapmeiers went to Duluth.

Are you disappointed it doesn't have fifty year old engineering? Is there some magic associated with legacy Mooney products that would make it better?

No, I was just commenting that the shape of the tail is a gimmick and serves no function other than to visually attach the Mooney name to it.

Elsewhere being somewhere in the LA basin, according to Peter. If he's right they'll be manufacturing it in one of the most expensive labor and manufacturing environments on Earth. Notice that the Klapmeiers went to Duluth.

True, I don't disagree there. I just thought your post implied they were shutting down Mooney production in Kerrville and moving it to the LA basin. Apologies if I misread you.

It's a different airframe from the one they rolled out in Zhuhai. Could even be their flight test unit, but not necessarily.

I haven't been studying up on Aviation long and I'm considered a newbie but from what I got out of this video, They are not going to stay in America very long. I hope I'm wrong.

Any word on why the crash happened with a brand new Mooney?

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Mooney-M10T-Achieves-First-Test-Flight-225430-1.html

And so, M10T completes first flight... in California, not China But wait, it's not all: it flew with Len Fox at the controls, or the guy who was the test pilot for Rocket Racing. I suppose it's better to test Chinese Mooneys than dive dumpsters for a lunch, so I'm quite happy for him. BTW, it flies with the little Continental diesel, as promised. May even get certified some time in 2025 :rolleyes:

I saw the full size mockup and got to sit in the mockup as well at SNF 2015 and I have to say the plane looked great, proportions seemed correct and what not. It's not something that I am looking for in a plane and wouldn't replace my 182 for it, but i can definitely see the market for it and think its a good way for Mooney to enter the flight training and more casual flyer market

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Mooney-M10T-Achieves-First-Test-Flight-225430-1.html

And so, M10T completes first flight... in California, not China But wait, it's not all: it flew with Len Fox at the controls, or the guy who was the test pilot for Rocket Racing. I suppose it's better to test Chinese Mooneys than dive dumpsters for a lunch, so I'm quite happy for him. BTW, it flies with the little Continental diesel, as promised. May even get certified some time in 2025 :rolleyes:

Oh, I bet it gets to work right away in China. Over here... :dunno:

good friends with their Chief Technical Officer and Chief Engineer. Neat little airplane.

good friends with their Chief Technical Officer and Chief Engineer. Neat little airplane.

Cool. Have they plans for further development of the M20 line, or something else in that market space?

not sure, my impression is they are pretty busy working on the M10. One of them moved to Chino, the other one technically lives in Wichita but spends almost all of his time traveling.

Is it just me, or does the landing gear on the M10 prototype not look like it is up to the task of a ham fisted student pilot?

Back