Mooney Acclaim Still Has a Single Door?

David Loftus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dmloftus
I know Mooneys have a loyal following for good reason as they are great performing aircraft. It's a bit surprising that they have maintained a single passenger door through the many years of M20's through the Acclaim. I would think the focus on convenience and safety in higher-end GA aircraft over the past several decades would have prompted a redesign to have at least 2 doors. Flying my friend's M20 made me think about getting out of it quickly in an emergency. An unfortunate off-field landing that blocks the only door could lead to a very bad day. Thoughts?

strange that you aren't randomly wondering about every other single-door GA plane, especially ones still in production. and yes, before mooney went under they did add a second door to the acclaim.

Just gonna leave this here.

The Ultras got a second door in 2017.

Every PA-28 variant I've flown has a single door on the passenger side. Including the PA-44 Seminole.

Every PA-28 variant I've flown has a single door on the passenger side. Including the PA-44 Seminole.
Piper put them on the pilot's side as well, in the Cub...

As stated, the Ultras had two doors. We made about 30 of them. That's all. Good luck if you need a replacement lh door.

Even Meridians have only one door - in the club seating section.

Mooney has inside emergency hatch release to open the cargo hatch.

Mooneys can be upgraded to thicker glass and I tried to break it with one of those emergency glass hammers and it did not break, so definitely don’t want to try that.

Because those emergency glass hammers rely on the properties of tempered glass. Aircraft use plastic for the windows.

Back