Mono Vision Special Issuance timeframe

G

Afternoon, had a consult with an AME, told I will need a Special Issuance for Mono vision, once I have my exam next week. He is very optimistic for me getting approved with my history even for class 1. How long is the average wait time for a mono vision special issuance currently? Called CAMI but was told without having a current medexpress number and case, they couldn’t tell me a timeframe. Only asking so I can judge when to start Ground school online.

I would not wait on the SI to start ground school, but that’s assuming you’re not in a program that does it lock step.

TCMB. It would be part 61 for flying lessons. Thought of paying for one of the lifetime courses online so even after completing I can always go back and review once I do start flying lessons.

Monovision to FAA means, "one eye for near, one eye for far"
Do you mean that, or do you mean, "seeing to stds only out of one eye?"

Dr. Bruce, seeing standards for one eye. Lack of visual due to Retinopathy of prematurity in one eye. Other eye 20-15 with normal 24-2 visual fields test. AME viewed my 24-2 visual fields, 8500-7,8500-14 and detailed clinical progress note. Stated he’s very optimistic even for commercial class 1 medical success. Just wondering how long on average special issuance takes for a class 1 medical once the information is submitted by AME at official exam to CAMI. If there even is an average wait time to be expected for such a SI for said mono vision case.

Dr. Bruce, correction for my post above, special issuance would be for seeing standard for one eye, along with controlled ocular hypertension …ROP being the initial cause.

Start ground school. Purchase course you mentioned if you desire. SI should be easy but may take a few months. Start your application with your AME.

'An applicant will be considered monocular when there is only one eye or when the best corrected distant visual acuity in the poorer eye is no better than 20/200. An individual with one eye, or effective visual acuity equivalent to monocular, may be considered for medical certification, any class, through the special issuance section of part 67 (14 CFR 67.401).'

Tcamb, Dr. Chien, Dr, Fowler, Thank you all
For the helpful information and prompt replies!!

Start ground school. Purchase course you mentioned if you desire.
Of the off chance during ground school you (OP) decide that flying is not for you then you just saved yourself a whole lot of time and money. Gonna need the ground school anyway to proceed so really no downside?

First make sure with a set of Humphrey 24-2 visual Fields (each eye separately), that the “makes stds. Eye” is PERFECT. YOU WILL NEED THAT to ask for the one eyed waiver ride. If it’s normal you have a path!

(after signed off for solo you are then qualified to ask for the “standards ride”, and then no one will ever test the weak eye!)

Contacts, or lenses are “unacceptable”. Burned in to the cornea, needs 90 days down and a ride with FSDO.

First make sure with a set of Humphrey 24-2 visual Fields (each eye separately), that the “makes stds. Eye” is PERFECT. YOU WILL NEED THAT to ask for the one eyed waiver ride. If it’s normal you have a path!

(after signed off for solo you are then qualified to ask for the “standards ride”, and then no one will ever test the weak eye!)

Dr. Chien, according to the AME I consulted with, a retired eye doctor, my good eye is prefect according to the 24-2 visual fields. Regarding the bad eye mono vision wavier…. Something just dawned on me.. If that bad eye also has controlled with approved medication, ocular hypertension.. would they still need a special issuance given the ocular hypertension doesn’t exist in the perfect working eye? Asking before filling out the Med express form and visiting for the official medical exam.

Guest: Initially, they will want it all- to prove that the other eye is NOT affected. 80% of cases are bilateral, especially with ROP.
Mark K: It's not monovision if your eyes are within three lines of each other on the chart. Your brain will still use both eyes for depth perception. But that sopts at 4 lines (20/20, vs 20/50). But in all cases except third class (where one eye can be 20/40 distant, and the other 20/20 distant (three lines on the chart) and make standards, for First and Second you'd have an eye that doesn't make standards. So you need the ride, after 90 day's brain accomodation(s).

You would otherwise have the option to always fly ONLY, with correction to make them equal at distance....but that kind of defeats what most are trying to accomplish with "one eye for near and one eye for far: No lenses!".

Guest: Initially, they will want it all- to prove that the other eye is NOT affected. 80% of cases are bilateral, especially with ROP.
Mark K: It's not monovision if your eyes are within three lines of each other on the chart. Your brain will still use both eyes for depth perception. But that sopts at 4 lines (20/20, vs 20/50). But in all cases except third class (where one eye can be 20/40 distant, and the other 20/20 distant (three lines on the chart) and make standards, for First and Second you'd have an eye that doesn't make standards. So you need the ride, after 90 day's brain accomodation(s).

You would otherwise have the option to always fly ONLY, with correction to make them equal at distance....but that kind of defeats what most are trying to accomplish with "one eye for near and one eye for far: No lenses!".

Dr. Chien. Thank you, that makes sense why they initially want it all as a baseline!

Thanks. I wondered about that when I found out along the way I had monovision. Apparently it was never an issue because I was within spec on both eyes. Moot now since I wear vision correction.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back