Monkey to Oshkosh and Beyond!

On a more boring and less monkey-oriented note, I'm down at Sun N Fun and had the pleasure of spending not-enough time with the founder of this thread, @davetheisen. Amidst the monkey madness and hubbub of life, it was very good to spend some time talking to a cool pilot and watching La Patrouille de France do their airshow.

Cajun_Flyer was mentioned in hushed tones of reverence and The Monkey was discussed in quiet, apprehensive, tones of fear.

Hope to see many more POA denizens this week...

On a more boring and less monkey-oriented note, I'm down at Sun N Fun and had the pleasure of spending not-enough time with the founder of this thread, @davetheisen. Amidst the monkey madness and hubbub of life, it was very good to spend some time talking to a cool pilot and watching La Patrouille de France do their airshow.

Cajun_Flyer was mentioned in hushed tones of reverence and The Monkey was discussed in quiet, apprehensive, tones of fear.

Hope to see many more POA denizens this week...

Great seeing you @G-Man, maybe we can grab a beer tomorrow!

So what's the little bastard up to, and when is he coming back to DEN? We still have an appointment at the shooting range that he never got to go to, last time he was here.

So what's the little bastard up to, and when is he coming back to DEN? We still have an appointment at the shooting range that he never got to go to, last time he was here.

Go back a page to see all he's been up to... definitely been a busy monkey!

Am flying him up to New Hampshire this weekend. Just one more state after that (Vermont) before he'll have completed his New England tour.

I'll be down in Knoxville, TN in a couple weeks if anyone wants to pick him up from me. I'll only be there two days and I'll be slammed one of those days (am the "keynote speaker" at a conference... maybe will get the monkey on stage with me! lol).

If no takers, I guess I'll take him to Norway with me next month and see about coordinating something after that. My schedule will free up dramatically by then, so I can fly a bit further to meet up with someone.

Last edited:

Hey, let's go together. We can film a Cirrus tutorial! 'How to use an HSI!" I can be your co-pil....

Wait.

A Cirrus doesn't even need a pilot, let alone a copilot.

Nevermind.

Well, okay, we won't actually tell the Cirrus we are pilots, we'll just let it do its thing, film our video, and ensure it can't hear what we are talking about.

I've been prepping for such an event. You always get stuck with the iron icon and the thimble icon. It's in the manual.

Iron icon: You have stalled the aircraft. That is actually an aircraft icon, just not with the wings. It means you are stalled. Recover from the stall and it will become an airplane again.

Thimble icon: Look carefully. Those are not dimples. Those are radial lines. That is a parachute icon. You will notice that in the main menu, for Cessna, Piper and Beech aircraft, the parachute icon is grayed out. You cannot select it. It means that CAPS has been deployed. That is why, when it is displayed, you are travelling at no more than ten knots in any given direction, and your decent rate is fixed at 200 feet per minute.

House icon: Don't worry about that one because you won't get it anyway. But if you do get it, make sure your liability policy is paid up. Promptly.

Car icon: That simply means you have landed at an airport with an FBO. Nearly all airports have an FBO. If the airport does not have an FBO, a Cirrus isn't landing there anyway. The car is provided gratis to Cirrus pilots. Unless, of course, Gulfstream pilots have taken the car first.

Icon: That is a small amphibious aircraft that tries to emulate a Cirrus but for those folks that aren't quite rich enough for a real Cirrus but they are financially irresponsible enough to buy an aircraft sold through the same brokers that sell Mattel home trainer kitchen sets, with roughly the same respective aviary and culinary capabilities. But at least they don't sink completely when you crash them into the water. Neither one of them.

Hey, let's go together. We can film a Cirrus tutorial! 'How to use an HSI!" I can be your co-pil....

Wait.

A Cirrus doesn't even need a pilot, let alone a copilot.

Nevermind.

Well, okay, we won't actually tell the Cirrus we are pilots, we'll just let it do its thing, film our video, and ensure it can't hear what we are talking about.

I've been prepping for such an event. You always get stuck with the iron icon and the thimble icon. It's in the manual.

Iron icon: You have stalled the aircraft. That is actually an aircraft icon, just not with the wings. It means you are stalled. Recover from the stall and it will become an airplane again.

Thimble icon: Look carefully. Those are not dimples. Those are radial lines. That is a parachute icon. You will notice that in the main menu, for Cessna, Piper and Beech aircraft, the parachute icon is grayed out. You cannot select it. It means that CAPS has been deployed. That is why, when it is displayed, you are travelling at no more than ten knots in any given direction, and your decent rate is fixed at 200 feet per minute.

House icon: Don't worry about that one because you won't get it anyway. But if you do get it, make sure your liability policy is paid up. Promptly.

Car icon: That simply means you have landed at an airport with an FBO. Nearly all airports have an FBO. If the airport does not have an FBO, a Cirrus isn't landing there anyway. The car is provided gratis to Cirrus pilots. Unless, of course, Gulfstream pilots have taken the car first.

Icon: That is a small amphibious aircraft that tries to emulate a Cirrus but for those folks that aren't quite rich enough for a real Cirrus but they are financially irresponsible enough to buy an aircraft sold through the same brokers that sell Mattel home trainer kitchen sets, with roughly the same respective aviary and culinary capabilities. But at least they don't sink completely when you crash them into the water. Neither one of them.

Soooooo, are u going?

I'm guessing me being in Boston coincides with you being in Norway. Plus, I'm super boring, sooooo.......there's that.

May 16th if the weather cooperates.

I'll be around until the 19th. If no one can get the monkey from me while I'm down in TN in a couple weeks (Apr 25-27th... short trip), maybe we can coordinate.

The latest in Monkey Land...

After flying to and volunteering at another Above the Clouds event yesterday, The Monkey and I hit up an airport in NH for lunch.

IMG_20170410_150920.jpg

Nashua, NH (KASH)

IMG_20170409_123631.jpg

IMG_20170409_122233083[1].jpg

I nearly took of his hands when he tried to touch my bacon. Oh no you don't, Monkey!!! Drink my whiskey if you must, but touch my bacon and this is the end of the road/flight path for you.

IMG_20170409_145048703.jpg

Finally, we stopped into a local pub after making a rockstar-worthy landing at KBED. The Monkey did most of the rudder work. He's digging the Pipers.

Only New England state left to get him to now is Vermont. Then he'll have completed his tour. Hoping to do that either this Saturday or one day next week when I'm playing hookie from work.

I'll be around until the 19th. If no one can get the monkey from me while I'm down in TN in a couple weeks (Apr 25-27th... short trip), maybe we can coordinate.

If that means no Norway for the Monkey, it may end up working out. He may end up going to Germany with me. Trip TBD still.

allagash, yum! plus it has 'gash' in the name.........eh nevermind.

so not that I'm pushing more monkey-sitting on Cajun, but does anyone else feel like that monkey needs to go to norway??!!?

so not that I'm pushing more monkey-sitting on Cajun, but does anyone else feel like that monkey needs to go to norway??!!?

Happy to take him across the pond, as long as he doesn't sell my passport for drugs while I'm over there. Not that Norway would be a bad place to get stranded, but still.

I believe this list is up to date MINUS anything Ragin' Cajun has done. when she's done I'll get the legs updated as well as the maps. I know she's added quite a few states to the list, Cajun-style!
States that have had monkey poop thrown at them:

California
Nevada
Arizona
New Mexico
Colorado
Texas
Kansas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina
Indiana
Wisonsin
Washington
Oregon
Idaho
Louisiana
Florida

Allow me to correct my statement. Seems like a lot of middle america is not present on that list..

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Carolina, South
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Louisiana
Mexico, New
Mississippi
Nevada
Oklahoma
Oregon
Texas
Washington
Wisconsin

Needed to be alphabetized. Needed to...

I think he needs to go to Norway.

Back