Monitoring VOR when using the GPS

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
A buddy and I were planning a few practice approaches today.

One was going to be a VOR-A. But, the NOTAM for that airport says the VOR is U/S. Since the rule is you’re supposed to monitor the green needles during the final approach segment when using GPS as an overlay, it seems that approach is NA.

The next NOTAM says that VOR-A approach “… PROCEDURE NA EXCEPT FOR ACFT EQUIPPED WITH SUITABLE RNAV SYSTEM WITH GPS…”

So, is it or isn’t it?

The question might be moot for us, we’re probably going to a closer airport for scheduling reasons. But this VOR is OTS until at least April, so this question will probably come up again.

(KBUM, if anyone is interested.)

I don't see the VOR being NOTAMed out. I see the TACAN portion of the VORTAC being NOTAMed out.

Since the DME comes from the TACAN, the other NOTAM means you can fly the approach only if you have a GPS to substitute for the DME.

However, it's an incorrect NOTAM, since I don't see that DME (and therefore GPS right now) is actually required to fly the approach. You could fly this thing with one VOR receiver and no DME (airways to the VOR, procedure turn, MAP using timing table , and direct to the VOR on the missed - no need for DME).

I don't see the VOR being NOTAMed out. I see the TACAN portion of the VORTAC being NOTAMed out.

Since the DME comes from the TACAN, the other NOTAM means you can fly the approach only if you have a GPS to substitute for the DME.

However, it's an incorrect NOTAM, since I don't see that DME (and therefore GPS right now) is actually required to fly the approach. You could fly this thing with one VOR receiver and no DME (airways to the VOR, procedure turn, MAP using timing table , and direct to the VOR on the missed - no need for DME).
Yes, I realized that (TACAN vs VOR) not long after I posted. I checked during our flight a little while ago and the VOR was properly ID-ing.

Last edited:

Yup, DME is not required. The VOR is not out of service. That ya gotta have GPS Notam is not following the logic check.

Back