• Let it rest in peace and buy a new one

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
This morning I sat down to jump on POA and shoot at some internet mans and I found that my monitor wouldn't turn on anymore.

The manufacture date was March 2009 which is a good run for a monitor. I had to return the first one my dad and I picked up from Best Buy. I have already tried a different power source and different power cable to no avail. I will remember all of the images, web sites, stories, and players cut down in all of the games I have played over the past 10 years.

LG W2361VV
https://us.hardware.info/product/68941/lg-w2361v-pf/specifications

The on switch is a light/touch sensor. The red light was on when I sat down, toggled it and now nothing. The back of the cover says "No user servicable parts inside. Refer servicing to qualified service personnel". I have built computers but I don't know much about circuit boards and soldering and troubleshooting.

Not sure whether I should try to get it fixed, fix it myself, or let it move on and find another one with the same or better specs.

I’ve got three ancient Samsung LCD displays that I’ve kept running by first replacing bad caps and now by swapping internal power converter boards. Google has been helpful because these monitors were pretty much top of the line for their time and ya can’t get the same shape anymore. Everything is HD and in landscape.

Unless there is something special about the monitor google a bit about repair then after yer disappointed go to the box place for a replacement. Best Buy will recycle yer old one.

My monitor is a 2007 model and still going strong. What did you do to kill yours? :D

Things are cheap, go to Best Buy and getcha a new one. They're often on sale at BB too.

So say I took the whole thing apart and destroyed my fingers in the process.

What's wrong with these?

20180125_103314.jpg 20180125_103333.jpg

Attachments

• 20180125_103709_HDR.jpg
    20180125_103709_HDR.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 33
Other than the bulged caps I see nothing wrong. Bulged caps is a treatable disease but it may not be covered by your current health care plan.

How about my fingers? No screws holding the thing together, just plastic clips surrounded by sharper plastic!

Also the capacitors say 1000uf and 16v. Would those stop it from working? Of course no warranty implied, fix at own risk, does not come with AA batteries, etc etc

Buy new caps to replace those that are bad (bulge) and put it back together. Process on YouTube

Buy new caps to replace those that are bad (bulge) and put it back together. Process on YouTube

If you have a multi meter, you could try unsoldering those 3 bulged caps, and see what they test at...

If replacement monitors are being considered, I can recommend the Acer brand. I have several of the 24" models here at the office and they are perfect for our needs.

I can see recapping a vintage computer for nostalgia reasons, but a monitor? Sheesh - you guys are hard core. :)

I'm not a fan of the aspect ratio on new monitors these days either, but even the cheaper versions of todays models are 1440 pixels high, so I just deal with the unused extra space on the sides.

I can see recapping a vintage computer for nostalgia reasons, but a monitor? Sheesh - you guys are hard core. :)

I'm not a fan of the aspect ratio on new monitors these days either, but even the cheaper versions of todays models are 1440 pixels high, so I just deal with the unused extra space on the sides.
When radio shack was still around it was easy and quicker to recap than driving to Microcenter. Now the neighborhood radio shack is gone...

The current monitors do use a lot less power than my ancient ones so it is tempting to replace them.

Unless it's something special, monitors are commodity items. You can get a decent 27" or smaller one from BestBuy for under 229$. We don't even think about repairing them at work. We buy the ones we use in pallet loads and simply swap in new ones and recycle the old ones. If you want to try and fix it just to see if you can, that's one thing, otherwise, replace it and get on with it.

Mine too! Maybe we're eskimo brothers...you know, meaning we've been in the same igloo.

Been through that, something said about Saskatoon along the way. Fortunately wife number two was much warmer in all ways.

When radio shack was still around it was easy and quicker to recap than driving to Microcenter. Now the neighborhood radio shack is gone...

The current monitors do use a lot less power than my ancient ones so it is tempting to replace them.

Exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't even know where to go to buy caps these days other than online.

Rich

Exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't even know where to go to buy caps these days other than online.

Rich
There is an electronics supply shop over on Federal but it would be quite a drive for you. It's north of Colfax so it's sorta safe during daylight hours.

That’s a big tv type thing ,that’s sits on a desk?

I am surprised at the poll results, some people on here are crazy frugal with their possessions!

In that case I'll plan on replacing vs repairing. Just gotta find a comparable monitor. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will have to look into them after I get back in town

Hell yeah, why order 4 or 5 caps at $0.20 each and spend a few minutes soldering them in when you can spend $100+ to get a new one.

Hell yeah, why order 4 or 5 caps at $0.20 each and spend a few minutes soldering them in when you can spend $100+ to get a new one.

Depends on how much you value your time and whether you have easy access to the parts. For me, figuring out the caps needed, finding them on Mouser’s or Digi-Key’s website and then ordering them, adds a bit of time. I generally get next day delivery from Mouser, but it’s usually after I’ve gone to bed ( 3rd shifter ). At that point, I’ve already got a couple of hours spread over 3 days tied up in the repair. Even if I go over to MicroCenter to buy a replacement, I’m out a max of 3 hours and have the computer back and going.

I’ve got enough tube type stuff to work on besides my aircraft, that it doesn’t make sense to screw around with comodity electronics.

Do both. Buy a new one to get up and running. Order the caps and fix the old one for 1) satisfaction 2) dual monitors.

Back