Monday, August 27, 1990.....

Zeldman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Billy
One of my favorites if not favorite guitar players. It's hard to pick just one but if I had to, it'd probably be SRV.

One of the best ever. This is my favorite video of his (the keyboard player had a rockstar solo as well):

Some guy named Clapton said this about Stevie.

""We played on the same bill on his last two gigs. On the first night, I watched his set for about half an hour and then I had to leave because I couldn't handle it, I knew enough to know that his playing was just going to get better and better. His set had started, he was like two or three songs in, and I suddenly got this flash that I'd experienced before so many times whenever I'd seen him play, which was that he was like a channel. One of the purest channels I've ever seen, where everything he sang and played flowed straight down from heaven. Almost like one of those mystic Sufi guys with one finger pointing up and one finger down. That's what it was like to listen to. And I had to leave just to preserve some kind of sanity or confidence in myself."

But I'm not sure what he knows about such things.

Some guy named Clapton said this about Stevie.
<snip>
""That's what it was like to listen to. And I had to leave just to preserve some kind of sanity or confidence in myself."

But I'm not sure what he knows about such things.

Great quote! Clapton was no stranger to confidence, so it speaks volumes when he says something like this.

One of my favorites if not favorite guitar players. It's hard to pick just one but if I had to, it'd probably be SRV.

Among Blues players I’d pick Joe Bonamassa, personally, but I’d never dare argue the point. SRV was a giant, no question.

Great quote! Clapton was no stranger to confidence, so it speaks volumes when he says something like this.

he's also known for walking out on jimi Hendrix because he was ****ed he was better than him. kinda lame that he walks out on people who are better than him. and I'm a yuuuuge clapton fan.

Read his bio, he comes across as a bit insecure. But such a great guitarist in his own right. Maybe not the best, but he's great nonetheless.

he's also known for walking out on jimi Hendrix because he was ****ed he was better than him. kinda lame that he walks out on people who are better than him. and I'm a yuuuuge clapton fan.

Interesting! I had no idea - walking out is a db move, IMO.

I've never heard he had an issue with Jimi. In fact, he did a tribute song to him and talked about what an influence he was all the time. Living in Austin, it's SRV all the time around here. EDIT! I misunderstood. SRV never met Jimi, this comment was about Clapton walking out.

SRV loved Jimi: Says Stevie Ray of his alter ego: “I loved Jimi a lot. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist. He could do anything. I was about sixteen when he died. I could do some of his stuff by then but actually I’ve been trying to find out what he was doing moreso lately than I was then. Now I'm really learning how to do it and I'm trying to expand on it ... not that I can expand on it a whole bunch. But I try."

One cool story about SRV from the drummer Chris Layton: The band was rehearsing at Paisley Park so Stevie thought he would be nice and introduce himself to Prince. He goes over to Prince and says " Hello, I'm Stevie Ray Vaughn". Prince doesn't acknowledge him. Stevie assumes Prince didn't hear him, and repeats himself. The only response he got was a nasty look from Prince's body guard. Now he knows he's being ignored, so he says, "You may be a Prince, but I'm the King Bee Mother****'er", and walks off with Prince standing there in shock.

Last edited:
I've never heard he had an issue with Jimi. In fact, he did a tribute song to him and talked about what an influence he was all the time....

I wouldn't necessarily call it an 'issue'. I know Clapton held jimi in the highest regard. here's one of many videos out there briefly telling the story. and since it's narrated in a british voice, it has to be true.

I recall reading Peter Townsend telling Clapton something like "we have our work cut out for us now" after seeing Hendrix in England.

I wouldn't necessarily call it an 'issue'. I know Clapton held jimi in the highest regard. here's one of many videos out there briefly telling the story. and since it's narrated in a british voice, it has to be true.
I completely screwed this one up. I thought you meant Stevie walked out on Jimi! My mistake.

SRV, BB King, Jimi Hendrix, Ed King,... The list is much too long and keeps growing.

Hey don't leave out Joe Walsh! Saw him w/ the Eagles a month or two ago, freakin' awesome player.

Back