Monarch Caps Tips/Tricks

brcase

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
I have a friend that just purchased a 182 with Monarch Caps installed.
We both find that fueling with these caps is a bit of a pain. They are small and have a flapper valve that makes it difficult to see how full the tank is. Also when removing he nozzle the flapper shuts making the last little bit of fuel out of the nozzle puddle up and run down the outside of the wing instead of going into the tank.

Any one have any tips or tricks on how best to fuel with these caps? I suspect some sort of funnel just the right size might work fairly well to hold he flapper open when fueling.

Brian

If you figure it out, please let me know. Also, if you figure out any method to stick the tanks of a Cessna 180 though those little filler holes, please include that info in the memo.

I have a friend that just purchased a 182 with Monarch Caps installed.
We both find that fueling with these caps is a bit of a pain. They are small and have a flapper valve that makes it difficult to see how full the tank is. Also when removing he nozzle the flapper shuts making the last little bit of fuel out of the nozzle puddle up and run down the outside of the wing instead of going into the tank.

Any one have any tips or tricks on how best to fuel with these caps? I suspect some sort of funnel just the right size might work fairly well to hold he flapper open when fueling.

Brian

Bill Barton not only made "Monarch" tanks, but also made the first Barbie doll.

The idiots at Cessna turned down his flawless water free tanks in favor of the new tanks with 10 drains. Astounding!

The best way of filling the tanks is to do it when it is perfectly quiet. You can hear the gas gurgling near the top. Also, use a nozzle with a self shutoff. Put it in about 3/4", and just let it do the job.

Last edited:
John at CPA describes Monarch caps (after pointing out that they save lives, he has no beef with them and virtually demands that anyone dumb enough to still have the old Cessna recessed caps is going to get exactly what they deserve sooner or later... An engine full of water...) as "top of the line NAPA auto parts from the 1970s."

Watch monarch caps closely for signs of siphoning. I've seen a few reports of 20 extra gallons missing after flight and only evidence was a very small blue stain aft of the caps. This kind of thing could be argued even more dangerous than old cessna "water" killers.

Back