Mom is gone

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Yesterday mom could no longer keep the fight going. She passed at 6:45pm EST. I was holding her hand when she went, it was peaceful and easy.

She had been fighting cancer for a little over three years. In September of 2003 she was diagnosed with a lung cancer and in November she had a lobectomy, half of her lung removed. Since her cancer had been a stage 1a tumor she actually had a chance for a cure. But two years later that was not to be the outcome as the cancer had returned in the other lung.

No longer a candidate for surgery she underwent chemo with some radiation to which she responded well. But this last fall the cancer started to grow again. Our first indication was a spinal fracture from cancer getting into the bones. She under went a spinal fusion but was still in a lot of pain as she then started radiation. From that surgery on she never quit recovered her strength and was too weak for the chemo.

In November things really went down hill. She woke up blind in one eye, she had trouble thinking which we thought were from her being over prescribed pain killers. But it turns out she had had a stroke. Later in December things kept getting worse and when we brought her to the hospital it was because she had a minor heart attack.

She was back and forth between the hospital and the nursing home for the next several weeks. But in January a miracle seemed to happen. Her brain snapped back into gear, she could see better and think clearly. She regained strength and against all odds she was released from the nursing home.

But it was not to last. Early last week she again started having trouble. First it was her breathing, then her strength, she stopped talking on the phone. On last Sunday when I spoke to her she could only tell me she was not strong enough to talk and then on Monday the massive heart attack.

I got the call Monday to come down ASAP and I managed to get what I think was the only on-time departure from O'Hare on Monday. I saw her at midnight and she knew who I was. On Tuesday it was obvious that she was not any better. She spoke little due to the meds but she was happy we were there.

She slowing drifted away throughout the day due to heart failure. A life long smoker she was always afraid of cancer and the painful death of suffocation that she was going to face. Paradoxically the anxiety of that death from smoking only made her smoke more. But after the cancer she had finally given up the smoking. For the first time in my life I no longer had to hold my breathe to kiss her, the smell of the smoke being too disgusting to me. But as she died from heart failure it was more peaceful death than what she was facing from the cancer. She had been told on Friday no chemo and the clock was running out. To make matters worse the cancer had spread to more areas.

Now we start the planning the funeral process. Not my first, unfortunately, so I am somewhat familiar with the things to do. I have been finding a couple of notes from my mom to me. I always joked I was going to burying her in a pink tafata dress. Her not being a dress wearer nor a lover of pink, she would protest and we would laugh. Well in her official burial direction, which we looked at last night, she actually wrote "No pink dress" in the clothes section. I got a smile on an otherwise sad day.

Thanks for thinking of her.
Scott

Last edited:
Scott,

I'm sorry to hear of her passing. At the very least, she is no longer in pain.

Best wishes and thoughts from here.

Bill

I'm so sorry, Scott. Glad you were able to get there in time for a last hug and kiss. My prayers are with you.

Take care....
Kaye

Scott,

I'm sorry for your loss. You and your mom our in our thoughts and prayers.

Scott,

Sorry to hear of your loss. Your family will be in our prayers.

I am sorry to hear that. You have my condolences.

My condolences Scott, I'll be sure to pray for strength and comfort for you during this difficult time.

I'm sorry for you loss, Scott, but glad you could be there to hold her hand.

Very sorry to hear about your loss.
You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Mark B.

Scott,
I'm really, really sorry to hear about your mom. I've just gone through that part in January and am dealing with the part about her not being there anymore, now. Let me know if you want to talk - I'll PM you with my number.

Y'all will be in my thoughts and prayers - remember to take care of yourself while you're taking care of everyone else ...

<snip>I always joked I was going to burying her in a pink tafata dress. Her not being a dress wearer nor a lover of pink would protest and we would laugh. Well in her official burial direction, which we looked at last night, she actually wrote "No pink dress" in the clothes section. I got a smile on an otherwise sad day.
Scott, I'm sorry for the loss. Now, it's her time to rest or perhaps enjoy peace and a never-ending buffet.

You can bet she was smiling when you read that note. She knew well in advance the much-needed smile it would bring.

Yesterday, I was hooking up the water connection on a refrigerator that was delivered. My tool case was at the old house where I still needed to finish a few things before closing. But, I had this old tool box that had been moved with the rest of the household. It belonged to my dad and I can't bring myself to throw it away. Inside are some of his old tools in their expected state. I found pliers and vice grips that did the trick for a light connection. Twenty-one years later, Dad still comes through for me.

Scott...My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May you find peace during this time of sorrow.

Our prayers are with you and all of your family, Scott.

Scott:

Don't know what to say; I'm really sorry for your loss. Sounds like you were really close. You and your Mom are in my thoughts and prayers.

Best,

Dave

Scott, please accept my condolences on your mom passing away. I pray that G-d grant comfort to you and your family. Take it day by day and realize it was a great gift your mom received to have you by her side holding her hand.

I also hope you don't mind me using this thread to beg those on this board who are smokers to quit. Please!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your loss. BTW, if you change your mind, I have a piink taffeta strapless gown from the 1950s - size 8.

Scott, our condolences for your loss. You and your family are in our prayers for comfort and peace in your grief.

Scott, my heart goes out to you and your family for their loss. May your Mom rest in peace.

-Skip

My most sincere sympathies to you and your family, Scott.

Scott, please accept my deepest sympathies on your loss.

Scott, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm glad you were able to be there to hold her hand as she slipped away. You know she wrote that pink dress comment to make you laugh!

The time we spend on this spinning blue ball is far too short. It is good that you have such vivid memories to keep her alive in your heart. You and your family are in my thoughts. Take care Scott.

My condolences Scott.
I am an orphan, lost both of my parents in their mid sixties, in their sleep.
I wish I had had more time to say goodbye.
Eric
________
Small Tits Cam

Last edited:
Scott, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your post is an excellent commentary on your love for her.
I will keep you my thoughts.

I'm sorry for your loss Scott and I know you'll miss her.
I'll bet your mom is hanging out with the rest of our moms who have gone and thinking "now this is flying.";)
Bill

Scott,
Sorry to hear about your Mom. You and your family will be in our prayers.
ApacheBob

Back