Mogas

Has anyone ever seen Henning and TomD in the same room?
I have many talents but I can’t speak for all the other people in the world. If I were to be so bold as to address the question then I would have to respond with a yes. It is possible that someone has seen Henning and TomD in a room. I cannot and will not address the likelyhood or probability of the existence of such a witness.

My little RV-9A is already very fuel efficient compared to every airplane I owned before, but it would still be great to be able to use mogas. I'm definitely planning to investigate this more. Thanks!

Way back, 2002 or so, when I had my 172 (which had the STC) and I was originally researching MoGas use, I called down to one of the refineries in Oklahoma and spoke with one of their "formula-ists" (or, whatever they're called). He talked with me for a LONG time. By the length of our conversation I could tell he was a lab nerd that was very happy to have interaction with another live body! ;)

Anyway, we got onto the topic of vapor pressurization and he told me that under 10,000' or so, it shouldn't be an issue in MOST any plane, high wing, low wing, gravity feed, pressure feed, etc.

I have no idea if that was true or not, @Clark1961 might chime in, he's the expert in this area.

Way back, 2002 or so, when I had my 172 (which had the STC) and I was originally researching MoGas use, I called down to one of the refineries in Oklahoma and spoke with one of their "formula-ists" (or, whatever they're called). He talked with me for a LONG time. By the length of our conversation I could tell he was a lab nerd that was very happy to have interaction with another live body! ;)

Anyway, we got onto the topic of vapor pressurization and he told me that under 10,000' or so, it shouldn't be an issue in MOST any plane, high wing, low wing, gravity feed, pressure feed, etc.

I have no idea if that was true or not, @Clark1961 might chime in, he's the expert in this area.
I’d tend to agree but don’t paint the tanks a dark color and don’t run below a quarter tank on a hot day with a circulating fuel system such as a Continental. If you somehow managed to get +80F fuel above 10k there could be problems in a gravity fed system. Not saying there would be problems, just could be.

If you can't get E free, make our own.
I wonder what it would take.
It's an interesting thought exercise, and (as has been pointed out, in some cases somewhat harshly) an opportunity for learning. However, I would venture to say that any potential solution for small scale "de-ethanolization" of E10 auto fuel would probably remove any cost incentive to use auto fuel in the first place. If you don't have a local source of ethanol-free gasoline, and don't have an airplane that can run E10, you'll just need to burn 100LL until Swift fuel becomes more widely available.

All kinds of videos on YouTube on how to remove alcohol from auto fuel.
All you need are containers, water, 24 hours, and nerves of steel. And maybe some octane booster.

I think we can all agree that lead in the environment is a bad thing. After hearing a new story about how researchers found that many raptors and scavengers have toxic levels of lead poisoning due to consuming lead fragments while feeding on gut piles during hunting season, and thinking about all the times avgas gets dumped on the ground at my local airport, I figured why not stop adding to the problem. Yes, the lead in fuel in very small, but its still there. My local airport sells mogas. Alcohol free, cheaper than avgas as well. Peterson sells the STC for the paperwork so I can legally use it in my 172 with the O-320.

Are there any reasons why I shouldn't do this? I'll recoup the cost of the STC within a few tanks. The airport sells quality mogas sans alcohol. Gravity fed fuel system in the 172, so the chance of vapor problems is very small. The engine has cylinders made within the last 20-30 years, so the valves should need it. I don't see the downsides to this.

Our family fleet runs MOGAS,

one O-300 that has been using it around 10 years, so 800 hours give or take (it moved to California recently so my guess is its not availble out there)
one O-320 that has been on/off for 10 or so years, but almost strickly MOGAS for the last three years, flies 60 hours or so per year
one O-470 we just got a last year and have probably 40 hours of mogas in it.
a good friend flies a debonair with an IO470 (i believe its that engine) and burns lots of mogas. Hes flown that airplane probably 400 hours the last three years

There is no reason not to, other than maybe minor inconvience. I buy from the local gas station and check each load for eathonal/water before dumping it into the airplane.

Dad has a bulk tank at his hangar and buys from the oil company, and checks for ethanol when they deliver.

I should probably mention that my question about water as a removal process was simply academic from remembering stuff we did when working with crude oil gaugers in the field before the big trucks drove around picking it all up on some rather lively dirt roads.

No way in hell I’d run it through the airplane.

And the person correcting Clark on his terminology for what’s going on at a refinery was... cute... considering Clark’s background.

For the record we also called them fracking towers. For multiple reasons. Long before the New Battlestar Galactica was released. :)

So say we all.

I should probably mention that my question about water as a removal process was simply academic from remembering stuff we did when working with crude oil gaugers in the field before the big trucks drove around picking it all up on some rather lively dirt roads.

As a side note washing crude oil with water is done to remove salt. It isn't called washing but that's essentially what is happening. Of course that is an early step in the refining process and few crudes require it.

On another side note I do know of some oil reservoirs that have salt crystals in the produced water. It's an annoying little problem when a ready supply of fresh water isn't available to dilute the produced water and prevent the salt crystals from forming. Can you imagine salt-lined surface equipment and water tanks?

Just a bit of oilfield trivia for ya'll.

One of the few down sides of my own aircraft (which I will finally retrieve this week!) is it was never STC'd for mogas. It is a small thing, since there is no booze free mogas available anywhere near where I live, and even if it were I have the suspicion that to set myself up to get it I'd spend enough money to offset the savings.

Just a bit of oilfield trivia for ya'll.
Here is a little bit more.

when auto fuel is returned to the refinery, they use it to clean pipe lines prior to replacement. saves doing the haz-mat disposal on the pipe, then they run the whole mess thru the refinery again.

I had a 172 that I burned Mogas in. Was cheap flying. Have a 172m I’m planning on getting Mogas stc for in next few months. As far as sumping gos, several years ago my wife asked the fbo where the tank was to put sumped gas in on the ramp. They told her to just throw it on the tarmac. She said she was a epa inspector. They had a sump barrel the next day

I thought that was to dump pee bottles into.

I schlep mogas in a 55 gal drum for my O-470-R powered C-182. There is no good reason to avoid it. The flight school near me has used it exclusively for over a decade and for thousands of hours in 150s, 172s, and PA-28s without any abnormal wear and tear. I know of a C-172 with well over 2000 hours on the engine that has run mogas for the majority of those hours without any abnormal wear and tear. I've run mogas almost exclusively for the 3 years I've owned my 182 without any issue. I run it when it's 105 degrees outside just fine, never had a fouled plug, never had a hot start, have yet to find even a drop or water in the tank, never had a problem (So Far). The only drawback I can think of is that it stinks. That said, pure gas is easy to come by in these parts.

I had to look up the meaning of schlep. I don't speak Yiddish.

Last edited:
I schlep mogas in a 55 gal drum for my O-470-R powered C-182. There is no good reason to avoid it. The flight school near me has used it exclusively for over a decade and for thousands of hours in 150s, 172s, and PA-28s without any abnormal wear and tear. I know of a C-172 with well over 2000 hours on the engine that has run mogas for the majority of those hours without any abnormal wear and tear. I've run mogas almost exclusively for the 3 years I've owned my 182 without any issue. I run it when it's 105 degrees outside just fine, never had a fouled plug, never had a hot start, never had a problem. The only drawback I can think of is that it stinks.

Heck you could drive over to Binger and get some of that natural gasoline...or you could prolly get that from your plant. The engine may ping a bit on departure but that'll settle right down after the throttle is pulled back a bit. Maybe some of the octane booster from O'Reilly's would also help with the pinging...

Removing most of the alcohol from E10 is easily done even with a single water wash and shake. And frankly I'd just toss the settled water/alcohol mix as it really shouldn't be that hazardous according to the farmer lobby. What's left would have a definitely few points lower octane, but there's still a lot of engines out there that are rated at 73 octane. It would probably still work OK, but I'm not ready to try it in anything important.

More critical is a single water rinse would still leave a substantial residual water in the fuel which would settle out or even freeze out as the temperature is reduced, and that is probably the reason E10 fuel is not appropriate for our applications. How much of its water absorption capability has already been used?

Out of curiosity, I tried a single wash technique once but only ran the result ~E0 through my lawnmower. The rinse water smelled of booze. It worked just fine.

Heck you could drive over to Binger and get some of that natural gasoline...or you could prolly get that from your plant. The engine may ping a bit on departure but that'll settle right down after the throttle is pulled back a bit. Maybe some of the octane booster from O'Reilly's would also help with the pinging...

Yeah, there's no shortage of "drip" around here. People used to run it often in cars, but not so much these days. Old timers say they'd just mix in a little transmission fluid and dump it in the tank.

Yeah, there's no shortage of "drip" around here. People used to run it often in cars, but not so much these days. Old timers say they'd just mix in a little transmission fluid and dump it in the tank.
We used to run it straight from the stock tank. Just keep yer foot out of the throttle and change oil often. It'd prolly plug the cats these days.

That IS interesting. Do you run 93/E10 regularly? Do you mix it with 100LL? When researching certified STCs, I had read that the 0-320/150hp was OK with mogas and the 160hp version was not. Also I noted that vapor pressure problems were more likely with low wing airplanes due to lower line pressures upstream of the carb. The combination of that, plus the fact I'm now in an "E10-only / 91 octane max" region, more or less ended my inquiries into using mogas. I know that I can do pretty much what I want, legally, but to be conservative, I was looking for a reasonable track record - e.g., a near identical engine/fuel system configuration with many thousands of hours of cumulative successful use... :). My little RV-9A is already very fuel efficient compared to every airplane I owned before, but it would still be great to be able to use mogas. I'm definitely planning to investigate this more. Thanks!

I cannot give you a thousand hour report, I have only run unmixed 93 Octane E10 for tens of hours just because I wanted to know I could, prior to the time I NEEDED to in a 'stranded' situation. I have since installed electronic ignition on my airplane and am thinking about what fuels I am comfortable running on a regular basis. I am a mad aerospace scientist, get the eff out of my way! :cool:

I schlep mogas in a 55 gal drum for my O-470-R powered C-182. There is no good reason to avoid it. The flight school near me has used it exclusively for over a decade and for thousands of hours in 150s, 172s, and PA-28s without any abnormal wear and tear. I know of a C-172 with well over 2000 hours on the engine that has run mogas for the majority of those hours without any abnormal wear and tear. I've run mogas almost exclusively for the 3 years I've owned my 182 without any issue. I run it when it's 105 degrees outside just fine, never had a fouled plug, never had a hot start, have yet to find even a drop or water in the tank, never had a problem (So Far). The only drawback I can think of is that it stinks. That said, pure gas is easy to come by in these parts.

And besides price, I've found another advantage: my plane starts easier when cold.

I know there are some who have done the math and calculated the lost in horse power, but has anyone ever put an aircraft engine on a test cell and actually saw the lost in horse power of the 100LL vs auto E10?

I know there are some who have done the math and calculated the lost in horse power, but has anyone ever put an aircraft engine on a test cell and actually saw the lost in horse power of the 100LL vs auto E10?
In my admittedly limited knowledge on the topic, it is my understanding that the ethanol will increase octane and reduce fuel economy. So fuel burn should increase resulting in reduced range. I think this would be a more important concern than power loss. I am not sure of the impact on power but it should be minimal if at all. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Octane only helps if the engine needs it. An engine needs octane so it wont knock. For non-turbo engines the higher the altitude the less octane an engine needs (because the absolute compression goes down because there is less air). If the engine needs the octane, it really needs it. It will knock without it and that is really bad news.

In my admittedly limited knowledge on the topic, it is my understanding that the ethanol will increase octane and reduce fuel economy. So fuel burn should increase resulting in reduced range. I think this would be a more important concern than power loss. I am not sure of the impact on power but it should be minimal if at all. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

It's affinity to absorb water is a concern as well.

For a stoichometric mixture, you have to run richer with Ethanol (9:1) than gasoline (15:1) so with your mixture at full rich, E-10 ends up in the neighborhood of 10% "leaner" at full rich. If you pull the red knob, you can get the mixture close, but your fuel burn rate will be up several percent. Also, Ethanol produces less heat (42,900 gasoline vs 26,800 Ethanol (kJoul/kg)) compared to gasoline so you get a little less power at full throttle - if you run the same MAP / RPM / Mixture you will probably end up close to the same power but at a higher fuel flow. I'll let you do the math.

For a stoichometric mixture, you have to run richer with Ethanol (9:1) than gasoline (15:1) so with your mixture at full rich, E-10 ends up in the neighborhood of 10% "leaner" at full rich.
10%? Are you sure about that? Since the ethanol only makes up 10% of the fuel, I would think it would be more like between 1 and 2 percent.
If you pull the red knob, you can get the mixture close, but your fuel burn rate will be up several percent. Also, Ethanol produces less heat (42,900 gasoline vs 26,800 Ethanol (kJoul/kg)) compared to gasoline so you get a little less power at full throttle - if you run the same MAP / RPM / Mixture you will probably end up close to the same power but at a higher fuel flow. I'll let you do the math.
The reference I found (here) would seem to indicate less than 2% difference in fuel consumption for the same HP. I could be misinterpreting.

IOWs no one has a number of horses lost to E10.

How many less BTUs per pound does E-10 have than 100LL

The reference I found (here) would seem to indicate less than 2% difference in fuel consumption for the same HP. I could be misinterpreting.
Who cares about fuel milage when you can't clear the trees at the end of the runway?

Who cares about fuel milage when you can't clear the trees at the end of the runway?
Put it another way: a 2% difference in fuel consumption for the same HP would also mean, roughly, a 2% change in HP at the same fuel flow. So let's assume for a moment that your plane will clear the trees with its full 160 HP. If you think you're going to die with only 156 or 157 HP, maybe you should re-think whether it's smart to take off at all. A knot or two off on the airspeed and you're toast.

It sounds like you are uncomfortable with the idea of using mogas in general and ethanol blends in particular. There's certainly no requirement to use it. I would suggest you just stick to using 100LL and save yourself the mental anguish.

No. I did the math in my head. Never a good thing.
Well, I'm not saying I'm right either... math was never my strong suit, and some days it seems like I'm wrong more often than right. Especially when my wife is home.

EAA STC ordered. I'll have my widow post here when I crash into the van load of nuns.

Put it another way: a 2% difference in fuel consumption for the same HP would also mean, roughly, a 2% change in HP at the same fuel flow. So let's assume for a moment that your plane will clear the trees with its full 160 HP. If you think you're going to die with only 156 or 157 HP, maybe you should re-think whether it's smart to take off at all. A knot or two off on the airspeed and you're toast.
You make a good point about the trees being too close for comfort, but the point I was making it is the horse power we should be thinking about. And of course we will have shorter legs on our trips.

I see a lot of math and stuff here. That's all well and good, but here's the real argument. Corn is fer eatin, and dino gas is fer burnin'. Burning food when there plenty of dino juice left is just stupid.

Blue gas is expensive and has nasty stuff in it. If your bird don't need it, and there's way cheaper stuff available, then burning expensive stuff that you don't need is just stupid.

Forgive me, for I'm just a simple redneck. :D

I see a lot of math and stuff here. That's all well and good, but here's the real argument. Corn is fer eatin, and dino gas is fer burnin'. Burning food when there plenty of dino juice left is just stupid.

Blue gas is expensive and has nasty stuff in it. If your bird don't need it, and there's way cheaper stuff available, then burning expensive stuff that you don't need is just stupid.

Forgive me, for I'm just a simple redneck. :D
Most rednecks know corn ain't fer eatin. Corn is for mash. Mash is fer distillin'.

Back