mogas ethanol warning

JHW

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Wright
Snapped at a small town filling station. Nice to see.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ethanol warning.jpg
    ethanol warning.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 359
Missouri got away from that when the law changed to where they didn't have to label it anymore. However there are a few stations that advertise alcohol free fuel.

There is one chain around here that labels the 87 octane "No Ethanol". I still test each batch I buy. So far I've never had a problem

The tank looks like it provides both E-10 and non-E fuel. Does the sticker apply to both?
I'd certainly investigate prior to using in a plane, but on the surface it looks ok.

The tank looks like it provides both E-10 and non-E fuel. Does the sticker apply to both?
I'd certainly investigate prior to using in a plane, but on the surface it looks ok.
eaxctly, the yahoo put the sticker on the wrong side. The blue side is good

I wish we could get real gasoline without the corn syrup c*ap here in TX but so far all road pumps carry the 10% blend with no exceptions. :(

I wonder when Amazon will start offering Ethanol-free (i.e. real) fuel ... LOL

Of course, the sign is wrong. My CTSW can run on 10% ethanol very nicely, per the POH, as can many other Rotax engined aircraft.

Of course, the sign is wrong. My CTSW can run on 10% ethanol very nicely, per the POH, as can many other Rotax engined aircraft.
the sign is not wrong, it clearly says "aircraft" ;) :D

you guys are missing the big picture. My point was, here is a filling station nowhere near any public use airport that acknowledges to the general public that airplanes use their same fuel

That looks more like the UK, with the term "Petrol" and the litres and all.

What engine?

I prefer to run Ethanol laced gasoline in my plane.... When I built it, I set up the entire fuel system to be compatible with alcohol / methanol / or any combination.....

Since I usually fly high 12,000 - 17,500 I get a gain in performance as Alcohol /Ethanol is a oxygen bearing agent and the additional O2 molecules chemically supercharges motors... Kinda like Nitrous Oxide...... YMMV.

They are now selling 15% ethanol fuel here in NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how ethanol would do in the King Air. Oh wait, it says not to use it in an airplane.

I'm not sure why people are so concerned about ethanol and airplanes. I think we have been feed a bunch of hooey.

I'm not sure why people are so concerned about ethanol and airplanes. I think we have been feed a bunch of hooey.
as someone who has accidentally used it a couple times and had complete loss of power due to vapor lock at altitude, I'll vote against the "hooey" idea

I wonder how ethanol would do in the King Air. Oh wait, it says not to use it in an airplane.
In the proverbial "fleeing from a volcano" scenario, it would work. Many turbine engines have guidelines published for using gasoline for short periods. It usually counts against you in time/cycles till maintenance.

Last edited:
What engine?

Actually, !0 % Ethanol unleaded fuel, is safer on the Rotax 912 ULS engine , than 100LL. Of course, your aircraft's fuel tanks have to be rated for it or it will dissolve the lining.

Cheers.

All depends on your fuel system.

In the proverbial "fleeing from a volcano" scenario, it would work. Many turbine engines have guidelines published for using gasoline for short periods. It usually counts against you in time/cycles till maintenance.

I knew guidelines for 100LL, but don't know enough about the fuel systems in those to know about ethanol impacts. I'd figure it'd work in a pinch, though.

If I built an experimental that's got a spark/gas engine I would design it with ethanol in mind.

as someone who has accidentally used it a couple times and had complete loss of power due to vapor lock at altitude, I'll vote against the "hooey" idea

Interesting . During my phase 1 testing I got a block altitude from center and mine never missed a beat all the way up to FL230, and back down again .......

Must be a high wing /low wing thing ...:dunno::dunno::confused:

Got the right hoses, no big deal. I use it all the time. OTOH a buddy of mine got a ride cut real short (like, a couple hundred feet after takeoff) because his fuel lines had swelled up from using E-10.

Back