modified parts

I don't see how you can substantiate a claim that it's a minor alteration if you don't even know what it is.

Looking forward to the future, suppose you see on an article about an internal engine coatings interacting with engine oil cause a fatal a fatal crash. Was it the same stuff?

Owner has no way to know if he has the same stuff in his engine, because nobody put it in the log book.

Excellent point. :yes:

I don't see how you can substantiate a claim that it's a minor alteration if you don't even know what it is.

Looking forward to the future, suppose you see on an article about an internal engine coatings interacting with engine oil cause a fatal a fatal crash. Was it the same stuff?

Owner has no way to know if he has the same stuff in his engine, because nobody put it in the log book.

You must be new here and don't know how Tom operates....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree. Way over kill IMHO, and no upside for the customer.

The up side is the owner never finds an oil leak that can't be cured with out an engine removal and a new sump installed.

These sumps are getting very hard to find in good condition, thus they are getting expensive. price is now approaching $2500 for one in like new condition. The can not be welded due to the alloy. so preserving them becomes a priority.

You must be new here and don't know how Tom operates....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The proper method of using them is a field approval. If the engine builder does not believe they are a minor modification.

There is a bunch of engines running them None have had any problems.

then why did you even bother to ask here? :rolleyes:...but, you 'd better be ready to bet your ticket on it. If that green gue comes loose and clogs up the works....then it's game over for Tom's airplane bidness.

I just don't know enough about that process to have enough confidence in it to be OK with it. Because of the failure mode effects....I do know from analyzing systems that it'd be considered a critical safety item on a detailed design drawing.:yes:

have you ever seen any oil that will effect a ceramic baked on coating? you can barely scratch this stuff with a file.

The proper method of using them is a field approval. If the engine builder does not believe they are a minor modification.

And based on the lack of information regarding the coating and the process involved along with some serious testing, it'll be a cold day in hell before you get a FA.

Tom.....

I have already said it is a great idea and will work with very minimal risk. I personally do TBC applications in all the motors I build.. Even in my V-8 Ford that powers my experimental has Ceramic coatings on the piston tops, combustion chambers and exhaust ports and Graphite coatings on the piston skirts... I do it all in my shop here in Jackson..... Never, and I mean NEVER have I had any stuff delaminate......

What company is doing this coating?

And based on the lack of information regarding the coating and the process involved along with some serious testing, it'll be a cold day in hell before you get a FA.

Not true.

With that statement I understand you do not know how to gain approval on anything.

Last edited:
Then it doesn't matter if it's minor or not since it "never happened".

There ya go. the next overhauler opens up the engine and finds this and says WoW this is some good Shi-. cleans it and reinstalls it.

Tom.....

I have already said it is a great idea and will work with very minimal risk. I personally do TBC applications in all the motors I build.. Even in my V-8 Ford that powers my experimental has Ceramic coatings on the piston tops, combustion chambers and exhaust ports and Graphite coatings on the piston skirts... I do it all in my shop here in Jackson..... Never, and I mean NEVER have I had any stuff delaminate......
This is in the same category.

Back