Modified Flight Plan - free

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
For those of you that aren't aware, our very own Brian Thomas, bnt83, wrote a book about his health struggles that nearly cost him his life, career, and ability to aviate. A less determined person would have simply given up, but instead, he pushed through it and continues to live his life.

Description of book:
Most sixteen year-old kids joyride in Daddy's pickup. Not Brian Thomas. Instead, you find him out buzzing the football team in Daddy's airplane. Flying is his life—it's in his blood. Both of his parents are pilots. His older brother is in the Air Force. And he can't imagine himself as anything but an aviator. That is, until the bleeding disorder he's battled since he was two years old sidelines him. After several failed chemotherapy treatments, Brian opts for a potentially disease-curing, but risky spleen removal. After more chemotherapy, he regains his flight status, but now he's left with an altered immune system.

In April of 2009, Brian leaves his job at Duncan Aviation, where he is an aviation mechanic, to go home with what he thinks is the flu. Four hours later, he is comatose and on life-support. His hands, feet, and face develop gangrene. Ten days later when he wakes up, he must face the prospect of becoming a quadruple amputee. Surgeons save his left hand, but he faces a long road to recovery, and regaining his life.

I've purchased 5 paper copies and would like to share them with fellow pilots. All I ask is that when you finish the book (preferably within a month) you mail it to the next pilot in this thread that would like to read it. If there are none you hand it off to another pilot you know.

If you'd like to read it (it's very good), post in this thread, and then PM me with your address and you'll have it in a few days (at no cost to you).

If you've got any left, bring 1 to 6Y9 this weekend for me.

Brian's recent thread in the Maintenance forum which detailed major refurb work on his Cardinal was an inspiration. I enjoyed it very much. It illustrates his skills, but also the resolve and hard work that has allowed him to stay involved in aviation.

Jesse's generous offer will allow a bunch of us to experience Brian's story. Nice gesture, Jesse.

A paper copy of the book has been drop shipped from Amazon to:

capilot55
DaytonaLynn
moonshine
livitup
TangoWhiskey

I'm a bit busy right now - so this was done purely based on who PM'd me usable addresses first. Sara, sorry, you lost your slot to Troy as you didn't include a name. Perhaps he'll send it your way when he's done.

Everyone else that PM'd me, hopefully people will pass it on to you, otherwise..just buy it worth the money:
http://www.amazon.com/Modified-Flig...77548102&sr=8-1&keywords=modified+flight+plan

Thanks Jesse. Saracelica sent me her address, I will forward it to her when I am done. Anybody who wants it when she is done should PM her.

Received the book and read it in one sitting last night.

Very good read, well done Brian. Both on writing and living your life no matter what.

Sara, I guess you are next in line for the book, PM me the address and I'll forward the book. Otherwise I'll send it to whoever PMs the address first.

Once again, thank you Jesse

Received the book and read it in one sitting last night.

Very good read, well done Brian. Both on writing and living your life no matter what.

Sara, I guess you are next in line for the book, PM me the address and I'll forward the book. Otherwise I'll send it to whoever PMs the address first.

Once again, thank you Jesse
I can wait until TangoWhiskey is done with his copy since he and I worked it out already.

I have not read the book. I will. But I had the honor of filing the altered flight plan, for which I am thankful. And that reminds me to put Brian's renewal on the "bug the agency" list.

:)

Late to the show again I'll just order it. Brian can I get it on my iPad?

You can, but you have to install the Kindle app and purchase it via that (which is what I did)

I have not read the book. I will. But I had the honor of filing the altered flight plan, for which I am thankful. And that reminds me to put Brian's renewal on the "bug the agency" list.

:)

Well I've got a copy waiting to be read. Might as well send it to you, Doc.

I got mine yesterday. Can't put it down. Great strory.
So Brian is on the POA board?

His father reminds me of how I remember my father.

Thank you so much for promoting it.

I got mine yesterday. Can't put it down. Great strory.
So Brian is on the POA board?

His father reminds me of how I remember my father.

Thank you so much for promoting it.
Brian is bnt83, he's posting in this string, Lynn.

You can also search for Brian Thomas and/or Lisa Kovanda on Facebook.

www.modifiedflightplan.com is continually updated with public appearances, book signing dates & locations, news links, and information on how to contact us to book an appearance.

I have finished my copy. I really enjoyed the challenges and obstacles Brian overcame. Very inspiring.
I only have a minor issue with the book, some of the language. That's just me! I would not give to young kids at this point. But it's a great inspiring book.

First person to PM with their mailing info, I'll send it along!

Brian; thank you for sharing! You did you and your family proud!

Brian;
One of many questions I would like to ask to, but this one sticks with me?
In the book you mention having to watch your weight in the winter because of the soreness.
Do you modify your diet at all during the winter or just try to eat a little less?

Thanks
Lynn

I am going to talk to my FaAsteam about having you speak.

Brian;
One of many questions I would like to ask to, but this one sticks with me?
In the book you mention having to watch your weight in the winter because of the soreness.
Do you modify your diet at all during the winter or just try to eat a little less?

Thanks
Lynn

I am going to talk to my FaAsteam about having you speak.

I try to do a number of things, stationary bicycle for exercise and eat less etc.

Just installed the Kindle app and purchased the book. Look forward to the read.

Sorry late reply, I have received the book and already half way thru, I expect to finish by Friday. Who is next, it is a great read!

Bought the Kindle edition and read it on my iPad.

Very nice story. Main character seems unlikely to make the next list of candidates for canonization for sainthood, though. Then again, neither am I. (Yeah, I know Brian is going to read this.)

SPOILER ALERT

Do not read past this point if you don't want to see any content that gives things away.

Poor Bruce is merely mentioned as a nameless doctor in Illinois who specializes in special needs medical certification cases. On being contacted by email he responds within 15 minutes and is presented as being thorough and efficient.

Even though it is a bio of a real person, I couldn't help groaning with some humor when I saw a cliche used that everybody knows means things are about to get really bad:

"Life was about as good as it could get."

I can't remember the comedy movie where this cliche is taken to an extreme and everybody nearby is shaking their heads and grimacing at his sudden good fortune, knowing it means the guy isn't going to make it back from his mission.

Really don't know if it is Hollywood material. I suspect Hollywood wants to concentrate on the romantic aspect being the core of a happy ending, but this is real-life, not make believe, and I don't think many movie makers know how to shoot movies where the happy ending involves something other than a romance or the defeat of some bad guys.

Great book. Read it when I was out to eat. Got embarrased when I started crying reading it though. Oy! Anyone want my copy? I'll mail it for free to anyone on here. (first PM wins - when you PM be sure to send your address in the PM)

Got the kindle version, will check it out soon as I can free up some time.

Back