Modem

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
I am trying to send a fax from my laptop.

The error message is "Modem Is In Use By Another Program. Close Out This Program First."

I would if if I knew what program to close out.

Any help appreciated.

Terry :mad:

if you haven't tried a restart, you may have more than one copy running at the same time.

what software are u using?

Yes, I have tried the restart.

What is my HyperTerminal used for? If this was assigned Com2 would it be stopping my fax program?

Can the fax program use Com2 also?

Terry

Have you ever done this before, and it worked?

Are you trying to send the fax over a telephone line, a modem connected to the internet, or a broadband connection to the internet?

Went back and tried a different program and it worked.

Some little setting must have been wrong.

I am faxing using a telephone line.

Thanks for your help.

Terry

LOL. Haven't talked modems in a while. Brings back memories.

Went back and tried a different program and it worked.

I occasionally need to fax a page or two. I have a scanner and the OEM built in modem in both lap- and desktop. What software are you using to do this? I've never been able to figure it out.

-Skip

Yes, people use email now days.

Pdf and email rather than fax? You betcha. I was thinking more about BB's, Veronica and Archie, and accessing the newfangled www with SlipKnot (and Lynx, of course). :D

Last edited:
Pdf and email rather than fax? You betcha. I was thinking more about BB's, Veronica and Archie, and accessing the newfangled www with SlipKnot (and Lynx, of course). :D
I had to access anonymous FTP with email-to-ftp gateway back in the day. Archie was a mega luxury, for which one had to travel to the certain place in country's capital.

I occasionally need to fax a page or two. I have a scanner and the OEM built in modem in both lap- and desktop. What software are you using to do this? I've never been able to figure it out.

-Skip

Skip, Win7 has a "fax and scan" utility built-in; it's fairly intuitive.

I keep a cheap USB modem handy for faxing. FAA still relies on it, and recently US Bank wanted faxed details about a disputed charge - so the technology is still handy, even if dated.

Skip, Win7 has a "fax and scan" utility built-in; it's fairly intuitive.

I keep a cheap USB modem handy for faxing. FAA still relies on it, and recently US Bank wanted faxed details about a disputed charge - so the technology is still handy, even if dated.

Thanks. but it all seems to require a fax modem, which I don't have. I was hoping someone somewhere would be able to develop a software workaround so that a regular modem would work, but I guess not. :(

-Skip

Last edited:
Thanks. but it all seems to require a fax modem, which I don't have. I was hoping someone somewhere would be able to develop a software workaround so that a regular modem would work, but I guess not. :(
Indeed a FAX modem is necessary to send faxes, however it is extremely difficult to imagine a modem that is not a faxmodem. I think the last such item that I saw was a Hayes-compatible 2400 back in 1983. That is almost 30 years ago!

Faxes are so old skool. We are actually going to drop fax numbers on our letterhead and business cards.

Anyone remember 300 baud modems? :yikes:

Geeze, I am old! Well, maybe not so old.

David

Yes, and ours were made from discretes and 74xx series. There was no "AT" command set, or any other command set for that matter: no CPU whatsoever. Computer dialed the line by flipping DTR. Later, a 1200/75 version was introduced.

Geeze, I am old! Well, maybe not so old.

David

Yup. Had a "fancy" "Direct Connect"when acoustic couplers were still in style. Power button on made it seize the phone line (after you dialed for it or someone called you. If they called you, you had to flip the Originate/Answer switch to Answer so you were on the proper tone frequencies.

Texas Instruments had a thermal paper terminal with an acoustic coupler, IIRC. Used something like that around 30 years ago. I don't miss that equipment at all.

And I don't think the teletype in the basement of our high school in 1969/1970 was even 300 baud.

And I don't think the teletype in the basement of our high school in 1969/1970 was even 300 baud.

Nope. ;) It all depended on your gear speeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleprinter

And if you make it all the way to the bottom of that article, you see why your terminal on a Linux box is still called /dev/ttyXX. ;)

Still a reasonable amount of Radio Teletype (RTTY) to be found on the ham radio HF bands. It's totally outclassed by newer modulation types, but hams are the ultimate in "living museum" uses of old outdated tech. And there's probably some value in that... maybe. ;)

Still a reasonable amount of Radio Teletype (RTTY) to be found on the ham radio HF bands. It's totally outclassed by newer modulation types, but hams are the ultimate in "living museum" uses of old outdated tech. And there's probably some value in that... maybe. ;)

There's a LOT of outdated tech in the ham bands. Starting with straight keys, moving on to DSB AM, and continuing to the Lids. :D

"No Lids, No Kids, and No Space Cadets..." as a rather (in)famous 2-call used to say when calling CQ...

Luckily band conditions meant we rarely heard him here in Zero-land. ;)

Texas Instruments had a thermal paper terminal with an acoustic coupler, IIRC. Used something like that around 30 years ago. I don't miss that equipment at all.

Ah, yes, the infamous Silent 700. Ran through several rolls of thermal paper one Christmas playing one of those dungeon games. It was hosted on a VAX at TI.

I see you played Zork, too. :D
Adventure had Grue before, I think. But I may be misremembering. I only ever encountered Soviet clones, usually years past everyone else moved on. I remember "Y2" and "plop", but have no idea if they were authentic.

Adventure had Grue before, I think. But I may be misremembering. I only ever encountered Soviet clones, usually years past everyone else moved on. I remember "Y2" and "plop", but have no idea if they were authentic.

You are correct. It was "Adventure" on the VAX. There was a great B1 bomber program and a multi-player Star Trek game. Our system manager never did figure out how I was able to blow him away so easily. Simple, homing torpedos launched while docked at a star base. Unlimited supply while docked. :D

Since the Thread has crept over into games.

My 1st introduction to playing computer games, besides Pong and PacMan, was "Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy."

I read the book, understood the game and never did manage to get out of the first room. :mad: I played on an 8085 w/40meg hard drive and two 5 1/4" floppies. Used DOS 3.1.

I then moved up to King's Quest and Myst.

I have to say I miss the clues and challenge.

Terry

Not the same as the Adventure game on the VAX back in the early 1980s. I don't see any mention of the reservoir you can drain, etc.

That's the first of 4 files. Go up to the directory & take a look at the other 3.

Back