Mode S Code & ADS-B?

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
Can one tell from the FAA Airplane Registry Mode S code if the airplane is equipped with ADS-B out?

How exactly? I have mode S and ADS-B and there's nothing on the registry page that indicates I have ADS-B out. My mode S codes are the same ones I had since I registered my plane years before I got ADS-B.

Last edited:
I do not believe the hexadecimal mode s transponder code will tell anyone if you are adsb out just by looking at the paper. That code is assigned to the aircraft, even gliders with no transponders get hexadecimal codes on paper.

Yes , sending an email to the avionics check @faa.gov will give you data on your adsb performance.

Sure. But what was the distilled down question? How can you tell if a plane is adsb equipped by registration. Simple. Let the FAA tell you if it's squawking or not. No record on file, not equipped. If it's pinged a single tower once, it is on record. Just installed, never flown, BFE airport.... Well, I guess there is the unknown mode S bird.

Of course, you could have it removed. I seriously considered removing my GDL88 before selling it for my new plane. Happy I didn't though. A GTX345 was just installed in the panel!!!

Sure. But what was the distilled down question? How can you tell if a plane is adsb equipped by registration. Simple. Let the FAA tell you if it's squawking or not. No record on file, not equipped. If it's pinged a single tower once, it is on record. Just installed, never flown, BFE airport.... Well, I guess there is the unknown mode S bird.

Of course, you could have it removed. I seriously considered removing my GDL88 before selling it for my new plane. Happy I didn't though. A GTX345 was just installed in the panel!!!

The OP asked if you could tell by looking at the mode S code on the registry page whether a given aircraft was ADS-B out equipped. The answer is no.

Adsb and mode s are two different animals. Yes, you can use a mode s with Es to send the adsb data but you can also use a uat set up. Mode s was originaly used to implement tcas. So there are people that have adsb out with a uat and a mode c transponder, and there are people with mode s with Es that have adsb out and people with mode s and no adsb. The hex code just identifies the particular aircraft.the hex code is derived from the n number, I have no idea what the algorithm is but the avionics people do. You put the n number in a dynon and it gives you the hex code.

Back