Mode C ATC authorized deviation

Discussion in 'Change to my Frequency...' started by Dana, Dec 4, 2018 at 6:59 PM.

1. Dana

Dana Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    If I want to fly an aircraft without a transponder (or soon, without ADSB out) in airspace that requires it according to 91.215(b)(2) (the "mode C veil"), 91.215(d)(3) says, "For operation of an aircraft that is not equipped with a transponder, the request must be made at least one hour before the proposed operation." I presume that means a phone call? But just who do I call, and where do I find the number? Has anybody here done that, and how likely is it they would approve it? Only in good VFR weather, of course.

For example, New York. I live in CT. Flying an open cockpit biplane, it's not likely I'll ever want to actually fly in the Class B or C airspace, but I may well want to cut close around it (within 30NM) or under the 3000' floor of the outer ring while going somewhere, or fly over our cabin which is one mile inside the 30NM ring, or even fly the Hudson River corridor like I used to do years ago in my T-Craft.

2. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    You call the ATC facility responsible for the airspace (the TRACON). I've done it countless times at IAD (without needing to wait an hour in advance). I've done it even after 9/11 and I did it once when the primary radar was also out (which made me literally invisible, let alone just missing the altitude info). A few weeks later I was up int he tower radar room and glanced at the scope and said "I see the primary radar's back." The controller told me that most people wouldn't have noticed that.

3. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    Done it at Detroit DTW class B and Toledo TOL class C with a phone call to the TRACON C approach respectively - got the numbers from the AFD as I recall (I know, the name has changed, but I don't remember the new name). I made a call during normal business hours to make sure I had the right number for weekends.

Does your ride have an electrical system with an engine driven charging system? If not, ain't no legal need to call - just stay out of the actual B/C. But, a quick call couldn't hurt...

4. texasclouds

texasclouds Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Rock the wings and enter the pattern??

Just kidding!